FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Overnight EWR hotel due to United Mechanical failure? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1881827-overnight-ewr-hotel-due-united-mechanical-failure.html)

Cameron Craig Dec 8, 17 7:33 pm

Overnight EWR hotel due to United Mechanical failure?

Any idea what the hotel choices are when a United flight is delayed overnight due to a mechanical failure?

Chukiechz Dec 8, 17 7:43 pm

I would think any hotel you get is a blessing on its own.

Often1 Dec 8, 17 7:52 pm

No choices. UA contracts with many places and takes what it can get at the time it determines a need. If there is a choice, the better selection will be held for F and GS, but even that isn't a guarantee.

JVPhoto Dec 8, 17 8:04 pm

Got the Wyndham Garden Inn once

cur Dec 8, 17 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron Craig (Post 29151826)
Any idea what the hotel choices are when a United flight is delayed overnight due to a mechanical failure?

LOL your choice is "yes" or "no".

mahasamatman Dec 8, 17 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by cur (Post 29152289)
LOL your choice is "yes" or "no".

And sometimes not even that.

aacharya Dec 8, 17 11:29 pm

I would prefer the Residence Inn at Jersey Gardens. Get in some shopping before the flight. They are not giving out the Marriott...or the Renaissance.

transportprof Dec 9, 17 12:10 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 29152348)
I would prefer the Residence Inn at Jersey Gardens. Get in some shopping before the flight. They are not giving out the Marriott...or the Renaissance.

Only UA pilots stay at the Marriott.

And those with trip interruption insurance.

djohannw Dec 9, 17 1:02 am

We've been given the Ramada once when we were stuck at EWR. Terrible place, regretted every second there. For the future I will just get a room myself and see how much UA is willing to reimburse me...

Greetings - Dirk

JVPhoto Dec 9, 17 1:10 am

Originally Posted by djohannw (Post 29152515)
We've been given the Ramada once when we were stuck at EWR. Terrible place, regretted every second there. For the future I will just get a room myself and see how much UA is willing to reimburse me...

Greetings - Dirk

I stayed at the Ramada for a night after Sandy when I was worried during the gas rationing about getting a cab the next day to take me to EWR. I survived.

cur Dec 9, 17 1:13 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29152315)
And sometimes not even that.

actually yelling "NO NO NO I AM NOT SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR I'M GOING ON FLYERTALK" constitutes a "no" lol

narvik Dec 9, 17 1:17 am

For the future I will just get a room myself..

That is -and has been- my preferred strategy (with any airline).

mjcewl1284 Dec 9, 17 3:20 am

For the future I will just get a room myself

This. Getting trip insurance in advance goes far and beyond what UA will ever give you, even for mechanical, and it definitely gives me more peace of mind.

timbre Dec 9, 17 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 (Post 29152691)
This. Getting trip insurance in advance goes far and beyond what UA will ever give you, even for mechanical, and it definitely gives me more peace of mind.

Does anyone have experience paying for your own room and then submitting to insurance -- for example based upon the Chase travel insurance when booked with their CC? If the airline offers you a room due to a mechanical and you get your own room will the insurance still pay for the room or will they say that United offered and you turned it down therefore we will not pay?

fumje Dec 9, 17 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by timbre (Post 29153862)
Does anyone have experience paying for your own room and then submitting to insurance -- for example based upon the Chase travel insurance when booked with their CC? If the airline offers you a room due to a mechanical and you get your own room will the insurance still pay for the room or will they say that United offered and you turned it down therefore we will not pay?

Although I can't offer definitive confirmation or negation, I think you overestimate the coordination between UA and Chase.