Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot in crew rest seat using chewing tobacco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

First, let me say that it didn't bother me, but I just found it odd. I was in my preferred seat on the PMCO 772 - 5E. 5D is a crew rest and is most often empty during flights.

Last night IAH-AMS UA 20, one of the pilots came back and sat in 5D for the first few hours of the flight. He had a to-go or take away coffee cup with a lid on it. At first, didn't think anything of it. Then I noticed it was not actually coffee.... he was using it as his spit cup. He noticed that I noticed and tried to as inconspicuous as possible with it.

What are the regs/rules on this?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by avi8tir
First, let me say that it didn't bother me, but I just found it odd. I was in my preferred seat on the PMCO 772 - 5E. 5D is a crew rest and is most often empty during flights.

Last night IAH-AMS UA 20, one of the pilots came back and sat in 5D for the first few hours of the flight. He had a to-go or take away coffee cup with a lid on it. At first, didn't think anything of it. Then I noticed it was not actually coffee.... he was using it as his spit cup. He noticed that I noticed and tried to as inconspicuous as possible with it.

What are the regs/rules on this?
I don't think the FAA has a regulation prohibiting using smokeless tobacco but United does.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I don't think the FAA has a regulation prohibiting using smokeless tobacco but United does.
As a former "dipper", this is correct.

On a side note, IIRC pm-UA had no stand on dip. However pm-CO did.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Current United rules, as shown in the December Hemispheres shown below.
I would imagine it is also against staff rules.

Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Several
Also, oral tobacco is banned in the EU to my knowledge with an exception in the Nordic countries.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Gross.
starless and awayIgo like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Found the mental image of this really amusing for some reason

Wouldn't bother me either but rules are rules I guess..
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:27 pm

Sounds more discreet than the fellow who sat next me on a cross-country flight, dipping and spitting into a clear plastic soda bottle.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:28 pm

I’m shocked it was a IAH crew. Ugh bubbas...
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

I would have reported it especially since I am highly sensitive to tobacco and it causes me to sneeze a lot and my throat to constrict and cough very hard. When you book a flight you expect peanut allergies, pets on board but not someone using chewing tobacco.

If I were able to get the Seat# I would have brought it to the Pursuers attention and ask them to make a formal complaint if I was in the vicinity and it affected me. I would hope the pilot gets drug tested, be subjected to the fines imposed and perhaps suspended or fired. I am sure in the United Manual it says what is and isn't allowed. You can't drink alcohol or use drugs etc.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
I would hope the pilot gets drug tested, be subjected to the fines imposed and perhaps suspended or fired.
Totally agree. Maybe they could do it on Christmas Day too. And take his kids dog away while they’re at it. 🙄
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
It says something that he is addicted enough to risk his job over this.
denver19 and BOISJC744 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danielonn
I would hope the pilot gets drug tested, be subjected to the fines imposed and perhaps suspended or fired. I am sure in the United Manual it says what is and isn't allowed. You can't drink alcohol or use drugs etc.
I think chew is gross and I don't smoke. But to equate its use with drug/alcohol seems a bit tenuous at best.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Chewing tobacco is not a narcotic.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Chewing tobacco is not a narcotic.
Who here said it was?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.