Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pilot in crew rest seat using chewing tobacco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot in crew rest seat using chewing tobacco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mapleg
Who here said it was?
umm, well . . .

Originally Posted by danielonn
I would hope the pilot gets drug tested, be subjected to the fines imposed and perhaps suspended or fired. I am sure in the United Manual it says what is and isn't allowed. You can't drink alcohol or use drugs etc.
And now back to the main question . . . Regardless whether this was a complaint worthy incident, it was certainly very poor form on the pilot's part.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mapleg
Who here said it was?
Well...

Originally Posted by danielonn
I would hope the pilot gets drug tested, be subjected to the fines imposed and perhaps suspended or fired. I am sure in the United Manual it says what is and isn't allowed. You can't drink alcohol or use drugs etc.
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
It says something that he is addicted enough to risk his job over this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
As someone who lives with individuals who dip, it's disgusting but unlike cigarettes, it doesn't harm me so I'm fine with those who do it.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
Pilot in cockpit using chew is alright? Seems pretty obnoxious.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Once, in my 1.4M lifetime miles, I recall a fellow passenger (non-crew) using chewing tobacco and spitting. Yeah, it was startling, but I got over it. Then there was the time on an SFO-LAX flight that a passenger was trying to tip the F/A for his drink, and was very persistent (no she didn't take the money). Fortunately, she didn't have to call security.

Cultural I guess, it's a big country we live in.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
Cultural I guess, it's a big country we live in.
Thanks for saying that....live and let live.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hammer0425

Totally agree. Maybe they could do it on Christmas Day too. And take his kids dog away while they’re at it. ��

Instead, maybe they could install spittoons in place of armrests on flights this pilot flies. They could then recycle the “juice” in the cofffee makers.

Seriously. A rule is a rule. Where do you stop the “look the other way”? Alcohol. Pot. Cocaine. Crack. Meth. Child sex trafficking????
FlyfromDenver likes this.

Last edited by PhillyPhlyer40; Dec 9, 2017 at 8:05 am
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by avi8tir
First, let me say that it didn't bother me, but I just found it odd. I was in my preferred seat on the PMCO 772 - 5E. 5D is a crew rest and is most often empty during flights.

Last night IAH-AMS UA 20, one of the pilots came back and sat in 5D for the first few hours of the flight. He had a to-go or take away coffee cup with a lid on it. At first, didn't think anything of it. Then I noticed it was not actually coffee.... he was using it as his spit cup. He noticed that I noticed and tried to as inconspicuous as possible with it.

What are the regs/rules on this?
if this didn’t bother you then why are you writing about it?
Liquid_G likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by cairns
Thanks for saying that....live and let live.
This is the best attitude really. I've had seat-mates with chaw cups before and it's really no big deal, so long as they are discrete.

On the other hand, I have Meniere's Disease and can be triggered into horrendous bouts of nausea and dizziness by allergic reaction to a lot of different colognes and perfumes, especially the more expensive designer varieties. So, if the smell of chaw juice bothers someone, they should ask the offender to move or move themselves.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Hammer0425

Totally agree. Maybe they could do it on Christmas Day too. And take his kids dog away while they’re at it. 🙄

He should just Snus, No spitting required. Hammer0425, hilarious!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Also, oral tobacco is banned in the EU to my knowledge with an exception in the Nordic countries.
Selling of it is banned in all but some Nordic countries but it's allowed to use in all of EU.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Selling of it is banned in all but some Nordic countries but it's allowed to use in all of EU.
Oh, thank you for the clarification. I just assumed the use was also banned.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
The things you learn on this forum! My personal opinion of chewing tobacco is it's nasty and gross. I once had a guy sneeze near me spewing tobacco and juice all over the place. Even though that was over 30 years ago, I can remember the disgust I experienced. More discrete chewer would have worn a nicotine patch and chewed nicotine gum. Nothing too obviously objectionable.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: 3 MMer
I NEVER leave home without it!!!

Very well hidden spit cup positioned in the lower chin area.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well...
Stating that he is addicted is not saying that it's a narcotic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.