Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Points on LH (via Cruise and contracted fares )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Please be gentle with me, I'm a rookie and not sure how to even ask this question. Booked a Mediterranean cruise that includes airfare. I asked to fly United as I wanted to get the points. They said one way out was United but return was LH and I could get the points because they were Star Alliance. OK, I guess was my lame response.

So I can see the one outbound reservation in my United account, but have no idea the mechanics of getting points for the LH return portion. If it matters the cruise airfare is described as "contracted fares" and the flight out is business P class. At this stage the flight is not ticketed so I can't tell anymore. Is there a trick to getting these points on the return flight? Join the LH system? Join Star alliance? (Again, I'm retired, a leisure traveler and some of this is greek to me)

In 20/20 hindsight I should have booked the trip via United Cruise and I doubt I would of had this problem.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Batman's brother
.... So I can see the one outbound reservation in my United account, but have no idea the mechanics of getting points for the LH return portion. ...
You need to have your UA MP account associated with the reservation -- since you see the reservation on united.com, that has been done. LH will use that same account for crediting.

.... If it matters the cruise airfare is described as "contracted fares" and the flight out is business P class. ....
This could get tricky, occasionally these fares may not including mileage crediting. It takes a deep dive into the fare rules to know for sure if you can even get access to them.

Is there a trick to getting these points on the return flight? Join the LH system? Join Star alliance? ....
Appears you have done all that is needed to get credit to UA MP.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
As long as your reservation has your MP number you're good to go.

Best way is to look online (or the app) for the LH PNR and check on lufthansa.com that your UA MP number was attached.

That's it - and wouldn't have mattered if you chose UA Cruises or another partner - it's always important to make sure everything attaches (though it should be automatic).

As the fare is contracted, you will most likely get a different amount of PQMs versus normal bookings - nothing you can do about it but wait until they post.

As far as joining other programs, no need. That's the whole point of the Alliance.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya

As the fare is contracted, you will most likely get a different amount of PQMs versus normal bookings - nothing you can do about it but wait until they post.
I disagree. P-class should earn 200% on UA and LH in terms of PQMs. Consolidator fares are no different. The RDM will be different and no PQD earned, but PQM should be fine.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfischer
P-class should earn 200% on UA and LH in terms of PQMs. Consolidator fares are no different. The RDM will be different and no PQD earned, but PQM should be fine.
Probably yes, but maybe no. Non-public fares can have arbitrary restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.