Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS - NRT lowest 7-day round trip econ fare is $2K for all months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:14 pm
tyc
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM

Is this a computer error on United website, or am I out of touch? Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I see closer to $1,750 for UA - the cheaper flights I see are Air Canada
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I currently see a published V fare (VLX3OUTF) for $1429, a Q (QLX3OUTE) for $1700, and an H (HLX07NJD) for $1876.

What I suspect you're seeing are inventory limitations; it's not unusual for UA to only sell Qs or Hs to Tokyo. They (along with ANA) have a very strong position from certain markets.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried a couple of dates and only found Flexible H fares available for Economy.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
some business fares for $2280 in late march or april
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
some business fares for $2280 in late march or april
I think it's filed as a BOS-PEK fare, with a free stopover in TYO. But in any case, still a good business fare for PEK or TYO!
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I think it's filed as a BOS-PEK fare, with a free stopover in TYO. But in any case, still a good business fare for PEK or TYO!
True. However, friends don't let friends connect in PEK. :-) If nothing else, give yourself an extra few hours.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jsloan
True. However, friends don't let friends connect in PEK. :-) If nothing else, give yourself an extra few hours.
Assuming it is BOS-XXX-NRT-PEK and back the same way, it is a round trip fare and does not qualify for TWOV at PEK. You must have a ticket to a third destination, Like ICN or HKG. You'll need a visa from the Chinese consulate.

From the China forum's TWOV thread:

Passengers must have confirmed onward tickets to a third country (not the PRC, and not the country from which they arrived).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Really odd considering the nonstop JAL option is slightly cheaper than the UA/NH option via EWR/IAD/IAH/ORD/SFO

Originally Posted by Kacee
I currently see a published V fare (VLX3OUTF) for $1429, a Q (QLX3OUTE) for $1700, and an H (HLX07NJD) for $1876.

What I suspect you're seeing are inventory limitations; it's not unusual for UA to only sell Qs or Hs to Tokyo. They (along with ANA) have a very strong position from certain markets.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Assuming it is BOS-XXX-NRT-PEK and back the same way, it is a round trip fare and does not qualify for TWOV at PEK. You must have a ticket to a third destination, Like ICN or HKG. You'll need a visa from the Chinese consulate.

From the China forum's TWOV thread:
It's highly unlikely that anyone, on a XXX-TYO-PEK-XXX with a "stopover" in TYO and "final destination" as PEK would re-transit Japan on the way back to XXX. Never happens in any of the itineraries that United or ITA throw at me when I go looking for SFO-TYO flights and need a third country to make the thing cheaper. So, it most likely will allow a TWOV.

Not that the original suggestion of waiting a few hours is for that -- it's for the awful connection logistics. Nor would I ever suggest doing a TWOV with only a "few hours" layover. A couple of days, sure. But not a couple of hours.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
It's highly unlikely that anyone, on a XXX-TYO-PEK-XXX with a "stopover" in TYO and "final destination" as PEK would re-transit Japan on the way back to XXX. Never happens in any of the itineraries that United or ITA throw at me when I go looking for SFO-TYO flights and need a third country to make the thing cheaper. So, it most likely will allow a TWOV.

Not that the original suggestion of waiting a few hours is for that -- it's for the awful connection logistics. Nor would I ever suggest doing a TWOV with only a "few hours" layover. A couple of days, sure. But not a couple of hours.
Correct -- the flights that I'd expect someone to take would be something like BOS-EWR-TYO / TYO-PEK-ORD-BOS or whatever.

And, yes, the extra time is for delays at PEK. You'd have no problem with the TWOV if you're not planning to leave the airport; there's an international connection line that you'd take and show your passport and boarding pass (assuming you're traveling on a passport that's PRC TWOV eligible, including the US). If you are planning to leave the airport, you should still not have any problems with the TWOV, but I'd be prepared with everything printed out including your Beijing-area hotel and return itinerary.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ryman554

Maybe I misread the post but it sounded like he wanted it as a cheap fare to TYO and was going to just do a quick stop in PEK.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Maybe I misread the post but it sounded like he wanted it as a cheap fare to TYO and was going to just do a quick stop in PEK.
Probably, but usually that renders as USA-PEK-TYO-USA instead of USA-PEK-TYO-PEK-USA.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:46 pm
tyc
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct -- the flights that I'd expect someone to take would be something like BOS-EWR-TYO / TYO-PEK-ORD-BOS or whatever.

And, yes, the extra time is for delays at PEK. You'd have no problem with the TWOV if you're not planning to leave the airport; there's an international connection line that you'd take and show your passport and boarding pass (assuming you're traveling on a passport that's PRC TWOV eligible, including the US). If you are planning to leave the airport, you should still not have any problems with the TWOV, but I'd be prepared with everything printed out including your Beijing-area hotel and return itinerary.
How do you do that? United.com does not show that is an option when I enter round trip between BOS and NRT.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyc
How do you do that? United.com does not show that is an option when I enter round trip between BOS and NRT.
You might try Google Flights; you might also try a multi-city search on United. Figure out whether you'd rather transit PEK on your way to or from Tokyo and search accordingly. The fare is still in place, and it allows you to fly either ANA or Air China from Tokyo to Beijing.

Today, however, I'm only seeing ANA flights on United.com -- Air China is missing -- which is reducing the options considerably (BOS-(EWR/ORD)-PEK-NRT would require an overnight in PEK; HND-PEK-(EWR)-BOS works, although the 3 hour connection is a little tight). You should still be able to get Air China flights instead; you just might need to call UA if Google Flights doesn't help. The fare is available for outbound travel through this Saturday or from Christmas through the end of April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.