Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forcing me to higher fare class? (lower fare yesterday, higher today)

Forcing me to higher fare class? (lower fare yesterday, higher today)

Reply

Old Dec 6, 17, 4:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 605
Forcing me to higher fare class? (lower fare yesterday, higher today)

Yesterday I found a round trip EWR-HKG hKG-NRT-EWR for $5900 z or p fares.

today advanced mode shows z and p but itís forcing me to a 7700 D fare. Is there a way to get the Z or p fare?

1/19-1/25

thoighta?
jp12687 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:34 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Orange, NJ
Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
Yesterday I found a round trip EWR-HKG hKG-NRT-EWR for $5900 z or p fares.

today advanced mode shows z and p but itís forcing me to a 7700 D fare. Is there a way to get the Z or p fare?

1/19-1/25

thoighta?
Did you put either the Z or P fare in the selection window on the flight search page as your choice(s)?
AugustusM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:35 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by AugustusM View Post
Did you put either the Z or P fare in the selection window on the flight search page as your choice(s)?
Yes the select fare shows up not available but it shows available in expert mode
jp12687 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:36 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 34,832
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
Yesterday I found a round trip EWR-HKG hKG-NRT-EWR for $5900 z or p fares.

today advanced mode shows z and p but itís forcing me to a 7700 D fare. Is there a way to get the Z or p fare?

1/19-1/25

thoighta?
UA has pulled the 5484 Z fare that was on sale yesterday.

D is now the lowest published fare on that route.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:40 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA has pulled the 5484 Z fare that was on sale yesterday.

D is now the lowest published fare on that route.
ugh even though it says Z9 P9?

odds it will come back?
jp12687 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:44 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 34,832
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
ugh even though it says Z9 P9?
When you sign up for expert mode, you acknowledge understanding that:
"The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it."


Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
odds it will come back?
Your guess is as good as mine.
username likes this.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:45 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
When you sign up for expert mode, you acknowledge understanding that:
"The presence of a particular fare class does not mean that there is a fare associated with it. For example, we may offer availability in a discounted fare class, but that does not necessarily mean we have published a fare that corresponds to it."
Your guess is as good as mine.
whats the best way to set up a notification if the fare comes back?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 6, 17 at 5:25 pm Reason: repaired quote
jp12687 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:54 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 34,832
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
whats the best way to set up a notification if the fare comes back?
Google Flights will do notifications. So will Kayak.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 5:29 pm
  #9  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 43,082
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
Yesterday I found a round trip EWR-HKG hKG-NRT-EWR for $5900 z or p fares.

today advanced mode shows z and p but it’s forcing me to a 7700 D fare. Is there a way to get the Z or p fare?

1/19-1/25

thoighta?
Another reason might have been the advance purchase (AP) window, 19 Jan 2018 is now only 44 days away. And a fare with 45 day AP would not longer be valid. Very common for Z fares to have 60, 45, 30, ... day APs. You will not see those longer AP fares for your travel dates. Also need to check the time window went pulling off a discount fare purchase.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 8,404
Originally Posted by jp12687 View Post
ugh even though it says Z9 P9?...
Empty seats are hardly the only criteria that goes into fare availability. As has been mentioned, advance purchase requirements come into play, as well as expectations by UA on how cabin will fill between now and flight time, etc. "Snooze, you lose" is a common with airfares. That being said, lower fares might show up again (and maybe not). Predictability is almost impossible.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 9:32 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 34,832
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Another reason might have been the advance purchase (AP) window, 19 Jan 2018 is now only 44 days away. And a fare with 45 day AP would not longer be valid. Very common for Z fares to have 60, 45, 30, ... day APs. You will not see those longer AP fares for your travel dates. Also need to check the time window went pulling off a discount fare purchase.
Could have been, but not in this case. UA pulled the Z fare. It was 28 day advance purchase.

Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 11:05 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YYZ
Programs: UA1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Posts: 596
I don't know if YYZ is an option for you, but you only need ~USD 3300 for YYZ-EWR-HKG-EWR-(YYZ)

Code:
     AL FLGT  BK   DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG                    
 YTO                                                                            
XNYC UA  4228 Y    19JAN 0956  PFW7ANMD        19JAN19JAN 2P                    
 HKG UA   179 P    19JAN 1505  PFW7ANMD        19JAN19JAN 2P                    
XNYC UA   180 P    25JAN 1115  PFX7ANMD        25JAN25JAN 2P                    
 YTO UA  4435 Y    25JAN 1545  PFX7ANMD        25JAN25JAN 2P                    
                                                                                
CAD  3930.00      19JAN18YTO UA X/NYC UA HKG Q YTOHKG15.00                      
                  2200.00UA X/NYC UA YTO Q HKGYTO15.00                          
CAD    25.91CA    1700.00CAD3930.00END                                          
CAD    13.96YC    XT CAD 10.06XA CAD 17.78XY CAD 124.00YQ                       
CAD   256.08XT    CAD 3.25RC CAD 25.00SQ CAD 14.22AY CAD                        
CAD  4225.95      19.50HK CAD 29.25G3 CAD 7.31I5 CAD 5.71XF                     
                  EWR4.50
gokeeper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 17, 11:39 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 34,832
Side note: Looks like UA has pulled a bunch of discount premium fares on various routes, including the $2700 P fare on SFO-BUD that's been available (most of the time) for over a year, and the $3700 P fare on SFO-HKG that's been on since black friday.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 12:47 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 6,913
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Side note: Looks like UA has pulled a bunch of discount premium fares on various routes, including the $2700 P fare on SFO-BUD that's been available (most of the time) for over a year, and the $3700 P fare on SFO-HKG that's been on since black friday.
Yeah, they did a bunch of shuffling on Tuesday night, perhaps to shift over to the next buying season. I also noticed a number of random domestic routes tighten inventory.
findark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 17, 3:55 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Yeah, they did a bunch of shuffling on Tuesday night, perhaps to shift over to the next buying season. I also noticed a number of random domestic routes tighten inventory.
Ya, OMG, trying to get a flight to HKG in Jan and they want $9k round trip. Um...no. i will wait or fly OAL. it may be my last trip as a GS so i prefer UA, but I can spend $5k but not $9k without getting fired!
flyerbaby19 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: