FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Refunds Ticket but Refuses to Disclose Where The Money Went (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1881320-ua-refunds-ticket-but-refuses-disclose-where-money-went.html)

getagb Dec 7, 2017 8:02 am

Can you search your email archives for the 4 digits they gave you? It might pull up an old receipt (even if not the United receipt) that would give you a clue.

sbedelman Dec 7, 2017 8:47 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 29144145)
Most tickets -- even refundable tickets -- are good for one year from the date of issue. UA must have continually cancelled and then reissued your ticket. I'm surprised that neither you nor they ever suggested refunding it in full and then waiting until your plans were more concrete before rebooking, if only to clear up the record.

Assuming that all of your Amex cards were in your name, I can't understand why Amex would no longer have access to that information. They should have noticed a large refund made to an inactive account and contacted you / issued you a check. Barring that, they should have refused the credit and UA should see that. There really shouldn't be any way for this credit to end up in limbo like you're describing -- although it wouldn't surprise me if it took UA a few days/weeks to figure out that the refund attempt failed.

Pardon the silly question, but is there any chance that your client / business partner / whomever you were to meet purchased the original ticket? That would certainly explain the situation.!

I did roll the ticket over. That's why there were the two add collects. I don't remember why I didn't refund it originally. Probably because I was traveling so much I figured I'd use it. Even now while I don't travel as much when plans change, which isn't very often thankfully, I just keep the ticket and apply it to the next trip. AS makes that easy because they're all visible in your online account. Habit I guess.

Hopefully you are right about Amex eventually getting the refund to the right place but the refund was processed the end of September (interestingly UA gives two different dates the 23rd and the 30th for the one that is missing which is odd) so it's been a while.

Not a silly question at all. No I would have paid for it. I work for myself and travel is always on my nickel. But a good thought.

Originally Posted by getagb (Post 29145443)
Can you search your email archives for the 4 digits they gave you? It might pull up an old receipt (even if not the United receipt) that would give you a clue.

Good suggestion. I'll try that next. Thanks.