Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal food options @ IAH

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by enviroian
Subway between C and E is probably your healthiest option around. Foot long with turkey and veggies plus mustard is better than anything pappadeaux might offer.
Subway is also in A pre-security.

My vote for a sit-down would be Pappaedeux in E, for a take-away Potbelly in C-North. The CIBOs in C/E also have interesting stuff.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Pappadeaux gets another vote from me. Hands down the best mac and cheese I've ever had in an airport.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by mc0107
couldn't disagree more. have had a good meal once, maybe twice, in town in the three years i've lived here. at the airport, even the centurion is subpar.

there's just nothing inspiring here, the majority lack complex flavor, and presentation is always a mess. it's a real shame.
I'm from the west coast (OC and SF) and I absolutely hate Houston (lived there for 6 years recently) BUT - the food scene in Houston is excellent. It'll put some meat on your bones, but it is very good and lots of options.

At the airport, there are now plenty of good options since the new C was built. Pappadeaux in E is a ritual for me before I board UA 20 to AMS every month.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Surprised it took 37 posts before Le Grand Comptoir got mentioned. The place is good if you want steak and wine. Seriously good steak too. Had a wicked filet mignon and a bottle of merlot there one time.

Another +1 for Pappadeaux as well.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dmo580
LA, SF, NYC and Chicago have much better food scenes to be honest. The shear density of new restaurants and foodies tells the story. You can find good food in any major city including Houston but that doesn't make it one of the best food cities.
A quick google search will reveal that food critics simply disagree with you. For instance, a recent ranking in WAPO places Houston at #5 “Best US food cities”, ahead of NYC and Chicago, behind San Francisco.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though my meals are paid by work, I feel it is a little too much to eat at some of the nicer establishments at IAH. Usually I grab something fast and find the choices OK - much better than EWR and DEN and even ORD.

I wonder how long it will be before UA gets rid of all the known names and replace them with OTG establishments...
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by yscleo
The Turkish lounge in IAH is pretty good. Decent food, has a bar, and at the entrance they have Turkish delights. I was there recently with using Priority Pass.
Originally Posted by mduell
There's no TK lounge at IAH.
While most of us would love to have a Turkish lounge at IAH, yscleo meant IAD.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by KDS777
Surprised it took 37 posts before Le Grand Comptoir got mentioned. The place is good if you want steak and wine. Seriously good steak too. Had a wicked filet mignon and a bottle of merlot there one time.

Another +1 for Pappadeaux as well.
+1. May have changed since, but five years ago I was flying out of IAH every Monday morning for months on end and often arrived a little earlier to get breakfast at Le Grand Comptoir.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

A quick google search will reveal that food critics simply disagree with you. For instance, a recent ranking in WAPO places Houston at #5 “Best US food cities”, ahead of NYC and Chicago, behind San Francisco.
you wouldn't believe a critic who calls United the best airline in the world or ranks it in the top three, so don't believe the hype about the food scene. save your money and cook at home.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by txflyer77
+1. May have changed since, but five years ago I was flying out of IAH every Monday morning for months on end and often arrived a little earlier to get breakfast at Le Grand Comptoir.
Crazy expensive though.

I wish there were more affordable options near Terminal C that aren't crazy unhealthy fast food, or "stuff ordered off an iPad" ...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Pappdeaux was great, but it's a stretch when I only get $50/day for meal reimbursement. My favorite dish there is $32.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Pappdeaux was great, but it's a stretch when I only get $50/day for meal reimbursement. My favorite dish there is $32.
The day I'm told that, I either stop travelling or find a new organization to work for... It's one thing for certain positions to be GSA perdiem etc, but $50/day is low to expect someone to eat 3 meals a day.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by cayenne
The day I'm told that, I either stop travelling or find a new organization to work for... It's one thing for certain positions to be GSA perdiem etc, but $50/day is low to expect someone to eat 3 meals a day.
Tell me about it. I have my own business, so I am interested in the IRS per diem rate which is currently $57 for Meals, Entertainment and Incidentals!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:54 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by aspena
Connecting a couple hours. All of the new United options in C (Bam Bam, etc.) are at best 2 star yelp’s (not that yelp is be all end all, but fall below 3.5 and food’s usually terrible). Hugo’s also a bust in International Terminal. Don’t even get me started on Landry’s. I guess I would concede Cat Cora is “OK”.

Hub in Denver has figured it out with Elways, Root Down, and some other consistently quality choices. Same with SFO, LAX, EWR. Houston is a Mecca for some great restaurants yet IAH devoid of anything edible.
are you being serious? iah is very above average for airport food. and i didn't know people still use yelp.

terminal a: awesome local restaurant The Breakfast Klub
term b: Ray's BBQ (also 3rd ward houston establishment), Whataburger, Chick Fil A
term c: Pink's Pizza is good enough for a slice, everyone seems to rave over Cat Cora's, Pappasitos is very meh by houston standards but if you're from up north you'll probably love it, Le Grand Comptor has a really low key spot that everyone raves about that i'm going to try next time
term d: Hugo Ortega (local celeb chef) opened a Oaxaca restaurant there, after Ray's this place is THE best restaurant in iah imo
e: pappadeaux is adequate enough, very expensive, but they have a lunch buffet last time i checked a few years ago

i dunno of a single airport that has its restaurants with a median score above 3.5
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I take it you haven't tried Pappasito's near E1? The beef fajita tacos are always excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.