FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Does leg on Aer Lingus change baggage allowance? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1879653-does-leg-aer-lingus-change-baggage-allowance.html)

horse glasses Nov 27, 2017 6:37 am

Does leg on Aer Lingus change baggage allowance?

I'm getting multiple answers from UA about this. DUB-LHR-IAH-BOS (yes I needed a couple extra thousand PQM) booked though UA. DUB-LHR is on Aer Lingus so baggage allowance is reading just 1 50 lb bag free. One guy told me to ignore it and the 2nd one would be free, another agent could barely form a coherent sentence enough to just enough to tell me "it'll be on that other airline". Does anyone know what to really expect here?

jsloan Nov 27, 2017 9:12 am

Originally Posted by horse glasses (Post 29104241)
I'm getting multiple answers from UA about this. DUB-LHR-IAH-BOS (yes I needed a couple extra thousand PQM) booked though UA. DUB-LHR is on Aer Lingus so baggage allowance is reading just 1 50 lb bag free. One guy told me to ignore it and the 2nd one would be free, another agent could barely form a coherent sentence enough to just enough to tell me "it'll be on that other airline". Does anyone know what to really expect here?

Is this a one-way ticket, or part of a round-trip ticket — and, if the latter, is it the outbound or the return?

aacharya Nov 27, 2017 9:30 am

What does the ticket notice say about which rules will apply? UA will denote upfront if it is following Aer Lingus rules or UA rules. Most likely Aer Lingus....but the 2nd bag charge
might give some insight.

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-inf...lantic-flights

horse glasses Nov 27, 2017 9:40 am

It is part of a larger itinerary, the rest of it was already flown about a month ago. It was CRW-ORD-IAH-LHR (all on UA) and then LHR-FRA-DUB (on LH). This will be the last portion of this ticket. Supervisor on the premier line said that because it originated with UA then those baggage rules should prevail. My concern is that I'm going to have to argue this with Aer Lingus at 5am in DUB and I don't have anything to prove it because the system says only 1.

Shamrock 105 Nov 27, 2017 10:06 am

I flew DUB-LHR-IAD last year and used the kiosk at DUB to check in for the EI flight to DUB (and onward connection on UA). It indicated one free bag but upon speaking with an EI employee they said that the second would be free - I just needed to check in with an agent. I can't comment on the maximum weight as both of my bags were less than 50lbs.

horse glasses Nov 27, 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Shamrock 105 (Post 29105110)
I flew DUB-LHR-IAD last year and used the kiosk at DUB to check in for the EI flight to DUB (and onward connection on UA). It indicated one free bag but upon speaking with an EI employee they said that the second would be free - I just needed to check in with an agent. I can't comment on the maximum weight as both of my bags were less than 50lbs.

I could probably keep the weight down if necessary but I definitely need to check 2. This is promising though, thanks!

WineCountryUA Nov 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by horse glasses (Post 29104980)
It is part of a larger itinerary, the rest of it was already flown about a month ago. It was CRW-ORD-IAH-LHR (all on UA) and then LHR-FRA-DUB (on LH). This will be the last portion of this ticket. Supervisor on the premier line said that because it originated with UA then those baggage rules should prevail. ....

The Premier Supervisor was correct BUT with a major caveat--- no premier / *A benefits for bags on EI. You will get the bag benefits of a non-elite based on the ticket purchased from UA.

jsloan Nov 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 29106798)
The Premier Supervisor was correct BUT with a major caveat--- no premier / *A benefits for bags on EI. You will get the bag benefits of a non-elite based on the ticket purchased from UA.

Correct. My understanding is that it’s specifically the CRW-LHR UA rules that should apply, although CRW-LHR and DUB-BOS have the same allowance in this case. (Baggage rules are set on a destination-by-destination basis). UA’s online baggage calculator says 1 bag free; the second is $100. Aer Lingus is allowed, by the rules, to use their own baggage limits if they’re more generous than that; the UA non-status allowance is the contractual minimum, and what I’d expect you’ll receive.

usbusinesstraveller Nov 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Yup, it'll be UA's allowance as the first marketing carrier on the ticket (for CRW-LHR) but no UA status benefits will apply. So you'll get one bag @50lbs/23kg.

That's what I get returning from India on BLR(9W)-DEL(UA)-EWR-PDX. As the check in at BLR is with 9W I get the non-elite UA allowance of one bag @50lbs/23kg, even though on the outbound (PDX-EWR-BOM) I get the 1K allowance of 3 free bags @70lbs/32kg.