Broken Window Shade

Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Broken Window Shade

Just got off a United flight and the window shade is broken. It's jammed and wont move/close. I know it's against FAA regulation if it cannot open but is it if it cannot close? I was a bit scared it would break inflight.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The shade is not a structural part of the window. If it happened to break in flight, it could only harm you if it pinched you or a sharp piece poked you. The outer window, which is part of the pressurized hull, was not at risk.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Was this on a 752? I was on a flight from LAX where the shade next to my seat was broken/jammed. Reported to a FA and wrote to UA.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I know it's against FAA regulation if it cannot open but is it if it cannot close? I was a bit scared it would break inflight.
Nothing to be scared of; what you're seeing there is cosmetic. Definitely doesn't affect flight nor passenger safety. Ask an FA to write it up and it'll be on the list of things to fix next time the plane stops for a few hours of maintenance, but definitely not the sort of thing they'll take it out of service to repair.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
take the chase MPE card advertisement in your seatback and wedge it into the windowsill.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
This happens to me all the time on the 757's. The interiors are in dire need of an update.
At least the ceiling panels didn't fall down; I've seen that increasingly now as well.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
GREETINGS from airline maintenance land (though I'm not with UA).

NO, that is not against FAA regs. It's even deferable for, I think, 120 days, though I'd have to look that up.
And, in fact, it's not even broken. Lots of window shades of that particular design/generation do that. You can actually fix it yourself; it's only held in by two tabs along the top and bottom edges.
Just push, and SNAP! It's fixed.
Not that I'd expect a passenger to do that.
But when I see it, I do fix it myself. And then I get the satisfaction/piety/snootiness of having "left it better than I found it"!

That said, I really wish passengers would be a bit kinder to window shades. And other cabin fittings. But that's a gripe for another thread...
sbm12, enviroian, ajGoes and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Thanks for the responses. I got used to UA's old planes but never had a broken window shade so was curious.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Was this on a 752? I was on a flight from LAX where the shade next to my seat was broken/jammed. Reported to a FA and wrote to UA.
Yes it was from LAX on a 752.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.