Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checked Baggage Allowance on Award Flights

Old Nov 25, 17, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC Gold GL, TK Gold

I am somewhat confused with the checked baggage allowance on UA operated domestic flights booked as award. Booking a C/F award baggage allowance is clear for me, however when booking Economy e.g. domestic or in my case in Micronesia - what is the normal checked baggage allowance in class X?

Thanks,
Christian
Old Nov 25, 17, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your ticket has already been issued, the e-ticket receipt will show the charge, if any, for the first and second bags. That is what the agent will see at check-in. You can also look this up for your specific ticket on the UA baggage calculator or for a generic ticket between two locations on the same calculator. By way of example, a Y ticket between two random Micronesia airports gets one bag free with no status. Awards are no different than cash tickets in this resect, they are simply paid for with "miles" rather than cash.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx
Old Nov 25, 17, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC Gold GL, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If your ticket has already been issued, the e-ticket receipt will show the charge, if any, for the first and second bags. That is what the agent will see at check-in. You can also look this up for your specific ticket on the UA baggage calculator or for a generic ticket between two locations on the same calculator. By way of example, a Y ticket between two random Micronesia airports gets one bag free with no status. Awards are no different than cash tickets in this resect, they are simply paid for with "miles" rather than cash.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx
Thank you, I had checked that page, however it was not that clear, as there are different fare available. So, I get one bag without status plus one for Gold. That is fully sufficient. Thank you.
Old Nov 25, 17, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by chrini1 View Post
... - what is the normal checked baggage allowance in class X? ....
The same as any other economy fare for the routing and any elite benefits.
Old Nov 25, 17, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by chrini1 View Post
Thank you, I had checked that page, however it was not that clear, as there are different fare available. So, I get one bag without status plus one for Gold. That is fully sufficient. Thank you.
Not to argue with you, but because there are many others looking at this as well. The UA website is absolutely crystal clear. You enter the information for the ticket you are considering purchasing and the form returns your baggage allowance. Fares are irrelevant. All that matters is class of service. You are in Y and it does not matter what fare basis you use or how you pay for your ticket.
Old Sep 10, 18, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Award Ticket Baggage Rules on UA vs AC

What are the current baggage fees on MileagePlus award tickets? How does it work with partner airlines?
I'm looking at SFO-YVR on either United or Air Canada for March 2019.
Economy with no status.
I think UA considers skis+boots with combined weight of less than 50lbs to be "1" piece of baggage. Not sure of AC rules.
Old Sep 10, 18, 5:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rj123456 View Post
What are the current baggage fees on MileagePlus award tickets?...
no different than paid flights
Fees depend on route and cabin plus UA offers waives for elites and some credit cards
try the baggage fee calculator

How does it work with partner airlines? ..
If checked thru starting with UA, no additional fee. If checking-in on the return and the flight started with UA, UA's route / cabin rules apply. No credit card waiver, and elite waiver may or may not be offered.
If all on the partner -- the partner rules apply.

I think UA considers skis+boots with combined weight of less than 50lbs to be "1" piece of baggage. .
yes
See the AC website for AC rules/
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
no different than paid flights
Fees depend on route and cabin plus UA offers waives for elites and some credit cards
try the baggage fee calculator

If checked thru starting with UA, no additional fee. If checking-in on the return and the flight started with UA, UA's route / cabin rules apply. No credit card waiver, and elite waiver may or may not be offered.
If all on the partner -- the partner rules apply.

yes
See the AC website for AC rules/
According to the baggage calculator there is no baggage allowance. My spouse is a primary cardmember but she is not going to be traveling. Which means no free bags
The UA site offered me a bundle while booking the award, $54 for Economy Plus seating and 1 "extra"checked bag (0+1=1!) for $54 each way.
Old Nov 13, 19, 10:56 pm

What's with the baggage fee?

I've booked many XN awards for many years just like this with tons of legs (anywhere from 8-14 legs). I've never had any baggage fees. All international flights. What happen here? TIA
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
I've booked many XN awards for many years just like this with tons of legs (anywhere from 8-14 legs). I've never had any baggage fees. All international flights. What happen here? TIA
You've run into UA's IT incompetence. There shouldn't be any baggage charge for the last leg, and I'd be shocked if the operating airline (SQ? BR?) even tried to collect one.
Old Nov 14, 19, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You've run into UA's IT incompetence. There shouldn't be any baggage charge for the last leg, and I'd be shocked if the operating airline (SQ? BR?) even tried to collect one.
Ahh thanks. From DPS to OKC I am on SQ metal once, then 3 UA flights. So there is no need to call them?
Old Nov 14, 19, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
Ahh thanks. From DPS to OKC I am on SQ metal once, then 3 UA flights. So there is no need to call them?
Calling them wouldn't accomplish anything. You could call five different times and get five different answers. But there's no reason. Even if SQ were to impose its own rules instead of United's, all of their fares include baggage.
SuperKirby likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: