FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Checked Baggage Allowance on Award Flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1879372-checked-baggage-allowance-award-flights.html)

chrini1 Nov 25, 2017 6:48 am

Checked Baggage Allowance on Award Flights

I am somewhat confused with the checked baggage allowance on UA operated domestic flights booked as award. Booking a C/F award baggage allowance is clear for me, however when booking Economy e.g. domestic or in my case in Micronesia - what is the normal checked baggage allowance in class X?

Thanks,
Christian

Often1 Nov 25, 2017 7:24 am

If your ticket has already been issued, the e-ticket receipt will show the charge, if any, for the first and second bags. That is what the agent will see at check-in. You can also look this up for your specific ticket on the UA baggage calculator or for a generic ticket between two locations on the same calculator. By way of example, a Y ticket between two random Micronesia airports gets one bag free with no status. Awards are no different than cash tickets in this resect, they are simply paid for with "miles" rather than cash.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

chrini1 Nov 25, 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29098301)
If your ticket has already been issued, the e-ticket receipt will show the charge, if any, for the first and second bags. That is what the agent will see at check-in. You can also look this up for your specific ticket on the UA baggage calculator or for a generic ticket between two locations on the same calculator. By way of example, a Y ticket between two random Micronesia airports gets one bag free with no status. Awards are no different than cash tickets in this resect, they are simply paid for with "miles" rather than cash.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx

Thank you, I had checked that page, however it was not that clear, as there are different fare available. So, I get one bag without status plus one for Gold. That is fully sufficient. Thank you.

WineCountryUA Nov 25, 2017 10:12 am

Originally Posted by chrini1 (Post 29098220)
... - what is the normal checked baggage allowance in class X? ....

The same as any other economy fare for the routing and any elite benefits.

Often1 Nov 25, 2017 10:55 am

Originally Posted by chrini1 (Post 29098464)
Thank you, I had checked that page, however it was not that clear, as there are different fare available. So, I get one bag without status plus one for Gold. That is fully sufficient. Thank you.

Not to argue with you, but because there are many others looking at this as well. The UA website is absolutely crystal clear. You enter the information for the ticket you are considering purchasing and the form returns your baggage allowance. Fares are irrelevant. All that matters is class of service. You are in Y and it does not matter what fare basis you use or how you pay for your ticket.

rj123456 Sep 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Award Ticket Baggage Rules on UA vs AC

What are the current baggage fees on MileagePlus award tickets? How does it work with partner airlines?
I'm looking at SFO-YVR on either United or Air Canada for March 2019.
Economy with no status.
I think UA considers skis+boots with combined weight of less than 50lbs to be "1" piece of baggage. Not sure of AC rules.

WineCountryUA Sep 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by rj123456 (Post 30189640)
What are the current baggage fees on MileagePlus award tickets?...

no different than paid flights
Fees depend on route and cabin plus UA offers waives for elites and some credit cards
try the baggage fee calculator

How does it work with partner airlines? ..

If checked thru starting with UA, no additional fee. If checking-in on the return and the flight started with UA, UA's route / cabin rules apply. No credit card waiver, and elite waiver may or may not be offered.
If all on the partner -- the partner rules apply.

I think UA considers skis+boots with combined weight of less than 50lbs to be "1" piece of baggage. .

yes
See the AC website for AC rules/

rj123456 Sep 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 30189743)
no different than paid flights
Fees depend on route and cabin plus UA offers waives for elites and some credit cards
try the baggage fee calculator

If checked thru starting with UA, no additional fee. If checking-in on the return and the flight started with UA, UA's route / cabin rules apply. No credit card waiver, and elite waiver may or may not be offered.
If all on the partner -- the partner rules apply.

yes
See the AC website for AC rules/

According to the baggage calculator there is no baggage allowance. My spouse is a primary cardmember but she is not going to be traveling. Which means no free bags :(
The UA site offered me a bundle while booking the award, $54 for Economy Plus seating and 1 "extra"checked bag (0+1=1!) for $54 each way.

SuperKirby Nov 13, 2019 9:56 pm

What's with the baggage fee?

2 Attachment(s)
I've booked many XN awards for many years just like this with tons of legs (anywhere from 8-14 legs). I've never had any baggage fees. All international flights. What happen here? TIA

jsloan Nov 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby (Post 31734906)
I've booked many XN awards for many years just like this with tons of legs (anywhere from 8-14 legs). I've never had any baggage fees. All international flights. What happen here? TIA

You've run into UA's IT incompetence. There shouldn't be any baggage charge for the last leg, and I'd be shocked if the operating airline (SQ? BR?) even tried to collect one.

SuperKirby Nov 13, 2019 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31734985)
You've run into UA's IT incompetence. There shouldn't be any baggage charge for the last leg, and I'd be shocked if the operating airline (SQ? BR?) even tried to collect one.

Ahh thanks. From DPS to OKC I am on SQ metal once, then 3 UA flights. So there is no need to call them?

jsloan Nov 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby (Post 31735017)
Ahh thanks. From DPS to OKC I am on SQ metal once, then 3 UA flights. So there is no need to call them?

Calling them wouldn't accomplish anything. You could call five different times and get five different answers. But there's no reason. Even if SQ were to impose its own rules instead of United's, all of their fares include baggage.

ATD Mar 21, 2022 1:42 am

We are planning a multi-stop trip with extended family around Central America to and from the US in May-June using United miles.. Between my wife and I we would ordinarily get 6 free bags on United, but am wondering if Avianca/Tapa will honour this when we have to check in with then and fly their metal.
I called customer care but they couldn't advise.

Also, I plan to use some Travel Bank cash to partially pay for the flight, but recall that to qualify for free bags all the taxes and fees need to be paid for by the United card.

Anyone here have any experience or advice on the above two issues?

Thank you!

--ATD

Hmm, United says:

"Based on your current travel options, travel certificates and UnitedŽTravelBank cash are not available."

Why would that be? Seems fishy.

--ATD

WineCountryUA Mar 21, 2022 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ATD (Post 34093085)
We are planning a multi-stop trip with extended family around Central America to and from the US in May-June using United miles.. Between my wife and I we would ordinarily get 6 free bags on United, but am wondering if Avianca/Tapa will honour this when we have to check in with then and fly their metal.
I called customer care but they couldn't advise. ...

While AV will provide a standard *G +1 bag benefit (over the ticket bag allowance), AV or other *A partners will not provide the more generous UA elite or credit card bag allowances

Also, I plan to use some Travel Bank cash to partially pay for the flight, but recall that to qualify for free bags all the taxes and fees need to be paid for by the United card.

Anyone here have any experience or advice on the above two issues? ...

Yes, the credit card needs to be used to get its bag allowance. You can adjust the amount of TB credit used to be $1 short and then use the credit card. The credit card only applies when checking in with UA and would not apply when checking in with other carriers.

Note you can not stack the credit card bag allowance on top of the elite allowance, it is just the better one that is used.

United says:

"Based on your current travel options, travel certificates and UnitedŽTravelBank cash are not available."

Why would that be? Seems fishy.

TB funds cannot directly be used for itineraries including non-UA operated flights

ATD Mar 27, 2022 7:55 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34094088)
While AV will provide a standard *G +1 bag benefit (over the ticket bag allowance), AV or other *A partners will not provide the more generous UA elite or credit card bag allowances

Yes, the credit card needs to be used to get its bag allowance. You can adjust the amount of TB credit used to be $1 short and then use the credit card. The credit card only applies when checking in with UA and would not apply when checking in with other carriers.

Note you can not stack the credit card bag allowance on top of the elite allowance, it is just the better one that is used.
TB funds cannot directly be used for itineraries including non-UA operated flights

Thanks for that information, much appreciated.

I recall once when flying United, we had booked all four of us on one ticket, though my wife and I both had Explorer cards. The check in agent insisted on charging us for our third checked bag since technically only two were free on the one card. Later we were able to get this refunded though via Customer Care.

Do you think something similar might work in this situation; namely if Avianca charge us for bags, United may reimburse us? The e-ticket does indicate free bags for all flights, including Avianca/Taca operated sectors. . . .
Since there are seven of us travelling, say with four bags, having to pay for each Avianca/Taca flight is going to add up fast. . . .

--ATD