Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more departure duty free on UA flights in TPE over 3.4 ounces

No more departure duty free on UA flights in TPE over 3.4 ounces

Old Nov 25, 17, 5:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Programs: United 1k, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 311
No more departure duty free on UA flights in TPE over 3.4 ounces

Donít know if this was discussed yet, but upon departure from TPE on UA flight to SFO, I was handed a notice that duty free purchases of over 3.4 ounces was no longer allowef since a 2nd hand bagage search would take place at the gate before boarding. The reason given was that UA does not have duty free delivery to the plane like other flights to the US. Has anyone tried contacting UA to see whether they will add delivery in the future? Apparently, this policy has been in effect 2-3 months. I was interested in getting some regional alcohol, but the arrival duty free does not have the same selection if I was going to make a purchase uopn arriving during my next trip and then packing it in checked baggage. Thanks.
LHR Wannabee is offline  
Old Nov 25, 17, 6:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,024
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee View Post
Donít know if this was discussed yet, but upon departure from TPE on UA flight to SFO, I was handed a notice that duty free purchases of over 3.4 ounces was no longer allowef since a 2nd hand bagage search would take place at the gate before boarding. The reason given was that UA does not have duty free delivery to the plane like other flights to the US. Has anyone tried contacting UA to see whether they will add delivery in the future? Apparently, this policy has been in effect 2-3 months. I was interested in getting some regional alcohol, but the arrival duty free does not have the same selection if I was going to make a purchase uopn arriving during my next trip and then packing it in checked baggage. Thanks.
Possibly related to thisó
Any Reports on how UA is handling 'Enhanced Security' for flights to US?
ó?
fumje is offline  
Old Nov 26, 17, 6:40 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Programs: United 1k, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 311
Thanks. It mentions the second bag check at the gate, but no discontinuation of liquid duty free sales over 3.4 ounces for travel on any UA flights. Are people still allowed to buy alcohol at LHR on UA metal flights or do they do the same bag checks at the gate which would prevent these purchases as in TPE?
LHR Wannabee is offline  
Old Nov 26, 17, 8:00 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,477
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee View Post
Thanks. It mentions the second bag check at the gate, but no discontinuation of liquid duty free sales over 3.4 ounces for travel on any UA flights. Are people still allowed to buy alcohol at LHR on UA metal flights or do they do the same bag checks at the gate which would prevent these purchases as in TPE?
There was no secondary bag check at LHR on Friday(although I didn't buy any Duty Free there). I had the passport/boarding pass check with a few additional questions before boarding.
iluv2fly is online now  
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:28 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,798
It seems only UA is doing this. BR and CI only have the interview at check-in and the secondary gate screening for those with the dreaded SSSS. However, I did notice that TPE has changed their X-ray scanners for security.
hayzel7773 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:39 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,464
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee View Post
Donít know if this was discussed yet, but upon departure from TPE on UA flight to SFO, I was handed a notice that duty free purchases of over 3.4 ounces was no longer allowef since a 2nd hand bagage search would take place at the gate before boarding. The reason given was that UA does not have duty free delivery to the plane like other flights to the US. Has anyone tried contacting UA to see whether they will add delivery in the future? Apparently, this policy has been in effect 2-3 months. I was interested in getting some regional alcohol, but the arrival duty free does not have the same selection if I was going to make a purchase uopn arriving during my next trip and then packing it in checked baggage. Thanks.
They do the same at HKG. If you're flying UA, they do a bag check at the gate. Really annoying that they enforce a "liquids ban" on those flights for stuff which is airside.

TPE is relatively new IIRC; one of my employees goes to TPE 1-2x a year and brought stuff back from airport duty free back in February.
exerda is online now  
Old Nov 26, 17, 11:53 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,593
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee View Post
I was interested in getting some regional alcohol, but the arrival duty free does not have the same selection if I was going to make a purchase uopn arriving during my next trip and then packing it in checked baggage.
How about other non-airport retail stores?
garykung is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 1:59 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (for a few more days)
Posts: 4,265
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
How about other non-airport retail stores?
Was thinking exactly the same. I've never bought liquor in Taiwan specifically but in countries where I have, I have never seen it cheaper at airport duty free than in the city. Such may be the case in countries with extremely high alcohol tax like Singapore, Malaysia, etc, but not in most of the world.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,778
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
They do the same at HKG. If you're flying UA, they do a bag check at the gate. Really annoying that they enforce a "liquids ban" on those flights for stuff which is airside.

TPE is relatively new IIRC; one of my employees goes to TPE 1-2x a year and brought stuff back from airport duty free back in February.
Been doing this in PEK and PVG for some time now . . . not sure why duty free can't get an exemption.
drewguy is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:51 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 242
Good prices and better selection on local liquor outside of the airport in Taipei city. Of course, less convenient.
ryder1650 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:39 pm
  #11  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,518
Same as most of the rest of Asia that UA serves.
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 3:00 pm
  #12  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,421
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
They do the same at HKG. If you're flying UA, they do a bag check at the gate. Really annoying that they enforce a "liquids ban" on those flights for stuff which is airside.

TPE is relatively new IIRC; one of my employees goes to TPE 1-2x a year and brought stuff back from airport duty free back in February.
For HKG, it's for all US-bound flights, not just UA flights. I had a bottled water purchased at the airport taken away from me on a CX flight.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 3:30 pm
  #13  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BDL/BOS
Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Posts: 1,622
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
For HKG, it's for all US-bound flights, not just UA flights. I had a bottled water purchased at the airport taken away from me on a CX flight.
the silly thing with HKG's no liquids policy is that they only search your bag in the jetway. if you conceal the water bottle in a pocket on your person, you're fine.

any american high school extracurricular function has more thorough liquid screening than HKG's jetway staff.
iluv2fly and drewguy like this.
riphamilton is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: