Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more departure duty free on UA flights in TPE over 3.4 ounces

Old Nov 25, 17, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Hilton Diamond

Donít know if this was discussed yet, but upon departure from TPE on UA flight to SFO, I was handed a notice that duty free purchases of over 3.4 ounces was no longer allowef since a 2nd hand bagage search would take place at the gate before boarding. The reason given was that UA does not have duty free delivery to the plane like other flights to the US. Has anyone tried contacting UA to see whether they will add delivery in the future? Apparently, this policy has been in effect 2-3 months. I was interested in getting some regional alcohol, but the arrival duty free does not have the same selection if I was going to make a purchase uopn arriving during my next trip and then packing it in checked baggage. Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 17, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee View Post
Donít know if this was discussed yet, but upon departure from TPE on UA flight to SFO, I was handed a notice that duty free purchases of over 3.4 ounces was no longer allowef since a 2nd hand bagage search would take place at the gate before boarding. The reason given was that UA does not have duty free delivery to the plane like other flights to the US. Has anyone tried contacting UA to see whether they will add delivery in the future? Apparently, this policy has been in effect 2-3 months. I was interested in getting some regional alcohol, but the arrival duty free does not have the same selection if I was going to make a purchase uopn arriving during my next trip and then packing it in checked baggage. Thanks.
Possibly related to thisó
Any Reports on how UA is handling 'Enhanced Security' for flights to US?
ó?
Old Nov 26, 17, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. It mentions the second bag check at the gate, but no discontinuation of liquid duty free sales over 3.4 ounces for travel on any UA flights. Are people still allowed to buy alcohol at LHR on UA metal flights or do they do the same bag checks at the gate which would prevent these purchases as in TPE?
Old Nov 26, 17, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Thanks. It mentions the second bag check at the gate, but no discontinuation of liquid duty free sales over 3.4 ounces for travel on any UA flights. Are people still allowed to buy alcohol at LHR on UA metal flights or do they do the same bag checks at the gate which would prevent these purchases as in TPE?
There was no secondary bag check at LHR on Friday(although I didn't buy any Duty Free there). I had the passport/boarding pass check with a few additional questions before boarding.
Old Nov 26, 17, 8:28 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It seems only UA is doing this. BR and CI only have the interview at check-in and the secondary gate screening for those with the dreaded SSSS. However, I did notice that TPE has changed their X-ray scanners for security.
Old Nov 26, 17, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
They do the same at HKG. If you're flying UA, they do a bag check at the gate. Really annoying that they enforce a "liquids ban" on those flights for stuff which is airside.

TPE is relatively new IIRC; one of my employees goes to TPE 1-2x a year and brought stuff back from airport duty free back in February.
Old Nov 26, 17, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I was interested in getting some regional alcohol, but the arrival duty free does not have the same selection if I was going to make a purchase uopn arriving during my next trip and then packing it in checked baggage.
How about other non-airport retail stores?
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
How about other non-airport retail stores?
Was thinking exactly the same. I've never bought liquor in Taiwan specifically but in countries where I have, I have never seen it cheaper at airport duty free than in the city. Such may be the case in countries with extremely high alcohol tax like Singapore, Malaysia, etc, but not in most of the world.
Old Nov 27, 17, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
They do the same at HKG. If you're flying UA, they do a bag check at the gate. Really annoying that they enforce a "liquids ban" on those flights for stuff which is airside.

TPE is relatively new IIRC; one of my employees goes to TPE 1-2x a year and brought stuff back from airport duty free back in February.
Been doing this in PEK and PVG for some time now . . . not sure why duty free can't get an exemption.
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Good prices and better selection on local liquor outside of the airport in Taipei city. Of course, less convenient.
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Same as most of the rest of Asia that UA serves.
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by exerda View Post

For HKG, it's for all US-bound flights, not just UA flights. I had a bottled water purchased at the airport taken away from me on a CX flight.
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
For HKG, it's for all US-bound flights, not just UA flights. I had a bottled water purchased at the airport taken away from me on a CX flight.
the silly thing with HKG's no liquids policy is that they only search your bag in the jetway. if you conceal the water bottle in a pocket on your person, you're fine.

any american high school extracurricular function has more thorough liquid screening than HKG's jetway staff.
iluv2fly and drewguy like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: