Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data.

When using Expert to find upgrade space, check segments individually because checking multiple segments may defaults to reporting the less inventory (such as zero) of any segment for the multi-segment result
R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights
Segments clear individually based on their upgrade space

UA provides Advance Search options for Mileage Upgrades or GPUs or RPUs -- There are complications with those searches, so if used to find space best to just record the flights and then book without the extra search options.

If you expect for an upgrade to clear after booking and it does not, remember you can cancel within 24 hours with no cancellation fee.

There are no tools available for searching for more than one day or one route at a time. UA has blocked any attempts by third parties to provides such tools,
Print Wikipost

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by iapetus
I can't believe that I'm only now finding out about this ...
^
There's a whole thread on it: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...atus-tool.html
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: United 1k, Bonvoy Ambassador
How to use GPU

Maybe I'm doing this wrong but I have used advanced search to search and search but I can't find ANY guaranteed (ie not waitlist) GPU availability. Tried different dates, routes etc and no dice.

Again maybe i'm not understanding but why would I buy up to a more expensive fare for the privilege of getting on a waitlist? Seems like you could spend ALOT more for the upgradable fare (several hundred dollars) only to not be granted the upgrade?

They seem to have very little value
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. My experience is if you plan ahead, well ahead, it increases your chance of finding seats for a GPU.

Buying a higher fare (W and beyond) is a gamble, but I’d say I’ve cleared into the front cabin about 60 to 70% of the time.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:08 am

I've never had a GPU clear at booking on any GPU fare eligible transcon.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by areale
Maybe I'm doing this wrong but I have used advanced search to search and search but I can't find ANY guaranteed (ie not waitlist) GPU availability. Tried different dates, routes etc and no dice.

Again maybe i'm not understanding but why would I buy up to a more expensive fare for the privilege of getting on a waitlist? Seems like you could spend ALOT more for the upgradable fare (several hundred dollars) only to not be granted the upgrade?

Activate the “expert mode” to find PZ>1 during search. Only look at the overwater segment only. For example, RIC-IAD/ORD/EWR-FRA-VIE, you only search for PZ space for IAD/ORD/EWR-FRA flights. Good luck.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by areale

It all depends on where you want to go and when. Flexibility is the key word. Last year, I could not find upgradable availability at booking on my TPAC or TATL flights so had to waitlist. Only missed the upgrade once. But I tend to be able to book midweek flights which are easier for the upgrade to finally clear (even if sometimes United makes me sweat and only upgrades me when I'm already sitting in my Economy+ seat). This year, for my TATL trip, I did find PZ>0 at booking and the cost of the W fare was only $40 more. However, I will be leaving the meeting one day earlier than the end of the meeting. My thoughts: if they want me to attend the last day, they should pay the business class ticket. As I said, flexibility is the key word.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by narvik
======
United PolarisSM business Upgrade Standby List:
United PolarisSM business: 50 Booked: 45 Checked In: 0
======

On this flight the seatmap shows 11 seats empty, and flight status shows 45 of 50 booked. With some monitoring over the week before the flight, with these data-points, my prediction rate is almost 100% of whether the GPU will clear or not.
I say almost, because with flights such as in this example it is a tad difficult, and I may end up #1 on the upgrade list and fly in E+!
GPU cleared at 47 out of 50 booked, about 16 hours before flight.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Activate the “expert mode” to find PZ>1 during search. Only look at the overwater segment only. For example, RIC-IAD/ORD/EWR-FRA-VIE, you only search for PZ space for IAD/ORD/EWR-FRA flights. Good luck.
I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, but wouldn't it be nice if they would show you ONLY flights with PZ>1, I thought I had heard (on FT) there was a paid service that would do the search for you but UA blocked them somehow. Agents seem to be able to pull up that data as when I call I have often been told "I see no PZ space on that route for 3 months", or something similar to this depressing responce. The GPU search is just as ridiculous as many stated above. You keep on thinking the flight is available for "instant" upgrade but after a few clicks you relize you are just basically getting on the upgrade list again. The green upgrade arrows are Unicorns, that's what you want though. I know frustrating....

Per other comments flexibility is key, I have never had a GPU clear at booking and for that matter rarely in advance but I don't have much flexibility in my travel times (ie. rarely fly TCONs mid week). I have basically zero flexibility as to where I am going.

Last edited by nomad420; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:20 pm Reason: added correction
Old May 29, 2019, 1:09 pm

How can I know before booking an upgrade-eligible, economy ticket, that I will be able to apply a RPU/GPU after booking and immediately confirm the upgrade rather than be wait listed? I've been a 1K for the past 5ish years, but I've never been able to figure this out. I believe the secret may be in using the 'Expert Mode' (which I've done) to search and view available fare classes. The problem is, I don't know which fare classes to look for that would indicate an auto-upgrade is available. PZ seems the most likely since that's what Platinum and 1Ks are upgraded into. It doesn't tell you the % of open seats though and I don't see a published threshold for auto upgrade when using a GPU.

For example, I'm looking at flying EWR > ATH (Athens, Greece) on 9/10/2019. Focusing in on flight UA124 (EWR > ATH), I can see availability in the following fare classes:

J9, JN9, C9, D5, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L0, K0, G0, N9, XN0, X0

I would be booking with cash into the W fare class and then looking to use the GPU to upgrade to what I think would be PZ0. Is there any way to know before booking that W fare economy ticket that it is immediately upgradeable to Business? I called the 1K line and the agent didn't know. She called up another person who also only had basic information like which economy fare classes are upgrade-eligible, etc. Help!
Old May 29, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLE_Traveler
For example, I'm looking at flying EWR > ATH (Athens, Greece) on 9/10/2019. Focusing in on flight UA124 (EWR > ATH), I can see availability in the following fare classes:

J9, JN9, C9, D5, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L0, K0, G0, N9, XN0, X0

I would be booking with cash into the W fare class and then looking to use the GPU to upgrade to what I think would be PZ0. Is there any way to know before booking that W fare economy ticket that it is immediately upgradeable to Business? I called the 1K line and the agent didn't know. She called up another person who also only had basic information like which economy fare classes are upgrade-eligible, etc. Help!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It appears that you have the process correct. PZ is the inventory bucket that you need. You have to search the nonstop by itself, which it appears that you've done.

Because PZ is zero, your upgrade would be waitlisted. If you saw PZ >= the number of people traveling, your upgrades would clear immediately.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CLE_Traveler
How can I know before booking an upgrade-eligible, economy ticket, that I will be able to apply a RPU/GPU after booking and immediately confirm the upgrade rather than be wait listed? I've been a 1K for the past 5ish years, but I've never been able to figure this out. I believe the secret may be in using the 'Expert Mode' (which I've done) to search and view available fare classes. The problem is, I don't know which fare classes to look for that would indicate an auto-upgrade is available. PZ seems the most likely since that's what Platinum and 1Ks are upgraded into. It doesn't tell you the % of open seats though and I don't see a published threshold for auto upgrade when using a GPU.

Welcome to FT!
You can play the W fare game (as it appears you are) and it looks like a good number of F seats remain but you are still a few months out. EWR to ATH in the beginning of September could be tough. Curious as to what others think your odd are. I'll go slightly better than 50%.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
EWR to ATH in the beginning of September could be tough. Curious as to what others think your odd are.
While I won't be so bold as to even hazard a guess at odds, I will point out that CLE_Traveler is flying on a Tuesday. That's gotta help significantly.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by iapetus
While I won't be so bold as to even hazard a guess at odds, I will point out that CLE_Traveler is flying on a Tuesday. That's gotta help significantly.
Ahhh, didn't even look at the day but oh yeah that will definitely help. Perhaps that now raises me up to 75% success rate :-).... Thanks!
Old May 29, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't know. There are too many 0s: Z0, P0, PN0, PZ0. September is still high season for travel to Greece. Three months and a half to go and Business is sold 20/39. And with those numbers there must be some GS and 1Ks already waitlisted.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I don't know. There are too many 0s: Z0, P0, PN0, PZ0. September is still high season for travel to Greece. Three months and a half to go and Business is sold 20/39. And with those numbers there must be some GS and 1Ks already waitlisted.
If it's booked 20/39, this far in advance, the chance for a waitlisted 1K upgrade to clear is near zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.