Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data.

When using Expert to find upgrade space, check segments individually because checking multiple segments may defaults to reporting the less inventory (such as zero) of any segment for the multi-segment result
R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights
Segments clear individually based on their upgrade space

UA provides Advance Search options for Mileage Upgrades or GPUs or RPUs -- There are complications with those searches, so if used to find space best to just record the flights and then book without the extra search options.

If you expect for an upgrade to clear after booking and it does not, remember you can cancel within 24 hours with no cancellation fee.

There are no tools available for searching for more than one day or one route at a time. UA has blocked any attempts by third parties to provides such tools,
Print Wikipost

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TheCount2
Perhaps I misunderstand, but if you can't trust the United booking engine, what can you trust to show availability in R, I, X or P?
I wasn't referring to expert mode, I was referring to the tool on the UA website that allows you to search by "Upgrade type":

I have found this tool to be unreliable.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
So I've tried multiple browsers and for some reason I can't see "R" space in Expert Mode anymore. Does anyone else have that issue? I'm not sure if it just doesn't show because R=0 or what...but it used to for me.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AndrewT84
So I've tried multiple browsers and for some reason I can't see "R" space in Expert Mode anymore. Does anyone else have that issue? I'm not sure if it just doesn't show because R=0 or what...but it used to for me.
R is no longer the upgrade fare code. You need to look for PZ.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SF1K

R is no longer the upgrade fare code. You need to look for PZ.
Ahh thank you!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Tips on searching for PZ space?

Is there a working third party app or software extension out there? I used to have "UA Expert Mode+" Extension for Chrome, but it's simply not working anymore. (Who knows... it may still be looking for R space instead of PZ space?)

I'm trying to get to Berlin in early March (March 3-9) out of Toronto... So I've been methodically pulling up EWR to TXL, then clicking 'details', and inevitably seeing PZ0. Then I try FRA, BRU, AMS, LHR, and FCO. Then I do the same, all over again, but using ORD as my origin point instead of EWR. Then I do the same, all over again, using IAD.

Then I repeat the entire process from scratch with different dates. It's hours upon hours of work. THEN I get to try to figure out a way home!

Has anyone got a smarter idea when it comes to workflow? Or is this just part of the fun?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I just made 1K for the first time & it seems this is what you have to do if you want to maximize your GPU's. Just wish the Chrome extension still worked. At least that made the process a little easier.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
As far as I know, that's what you have to do. It's part of the "fun." It gets really tiring after putting in your 42nd different city combination lol.

Btw, I find it's usually easier to find PZ space to Asia than Europe. Europe is a pain in the ... to find PZ space. It's not uncommon to find PZ space from IAD to NRT or ORD to HKG a few weeks out in the middle of the summer. I can rarely find PZ space even in winter to Europe.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:43 am

If you go to Advanced Search, there should be an option to search for GPU upgrades if you're logged in. It should tell you if there are GPU upgrades that are confirmable (i.e., PZ > 0). Those will have a green arrow. The orange/yellow arrows indicate that you'll be waitlisted (PZ = 0). Still have to search tons of dates, but it does save you the trouble of having the click "Details" and checking the PZ inventory.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAL250
As far as I know, that's what you have to do. It's part of the "fun." It gets really tiring after putting in your 42nd different city combination lol.

Btw, I find it's usually easier to find PZ space to Asia than Europe. Europe is a pain in the ... to find PZ space. It's not uncommon to find PZ space from IAD to NRT or ORD to HKG a few weeks out in the middle of the summer. I can rarely find PZ space even in winter to Europe.
PZ (former R) space is usually available to Europe in the offseason, you just have to plan far ahead. We booked two trips Dec 18 & Jan 19 and found plenty of space at booking earlier in the summer. Worked out well and zeroed out my GPU balance. Did the same thing last year too. During the summer we usually just pony up $$ if we want to sit up front, the chances of two GPUs clearing is low.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Then I repeat the entire process from scratch with different dates. It's hours upon hours of work. THEN I get to try to figure out a way home!

Has anyone got a smarter idea when it comes to workflow? Or is this just part of the fun?
UA944 ORD-FRA on 5 March is PZ9. There is no magic tool for this, but good intuition for UA inventory control goes a long way. I hit pay dirt on my first try
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
UA944 ORD-FRA on 5 March is PZ9. There is no magic tool for this, but good intuition for UA inventory control goes a long way. I hit pay dirt on my first try
Grrr... figures. I've got meetings in Berlin March 6. Happy to get into Europe early and do some sightseeing, but I can't get in late.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:57 am

What is the best way to locate PZ availability

I understand that United does not publish PZ availability. Beside, running the search on united.com are there any alternatives to that? EF can only provide I availability (Business Saver Awards) but is the I class considered a good proxy for PZ? I did two searches in EF and whenever I was available, I have also found PZ availability for the same flight, but this could just a random sample
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I class searches will work, but you're then missing many flights where I is zero but PZ is >0.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
What do you mean by "search"? If you're logged in to United.com and have expert mode enabled, it will show you PZ availability on flights.
chebert999, chavala and Artpen100 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by absdotan99
I understand that United does not publish PZ availability. Beside, running the search on united.com are there any alternatives to that? EF can only provide I availability (Business Saver Awards) but is the I class considered a good proxy for PZ? I did two searches in EF and whenever I was available, I have also found PZ availability for the same flight, but this could just a random sample
it is the only way to see PZ availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.