Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking Award Travel for Nearly 16 Year Old on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more

Air Canada (like other airlines) allows a 15 year old to travel alone. Our daughter has done it before and is capable of doing this without paying for the unaccompanied minor service. For a paid ticket it is possible to book directly on Air Canada just like it was last time. It is also possible to use United points for an Air Canada flights but not for a minor. United apparently doesn't realize that Air Canada has different rules from United. I want to use United Miles to fly her on Air Canada, United won't allow me to book it online and actually forces me to book a United flight and pay the fee. Clearly the only possible way around this is to call. Has anyone else tried to do this by phone and been successful? It's pretty obnoxious when on airline imposes its own rules for travel on another carrier when they don't apply on that carrier.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just check "adult" when you book.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Nice try, I tried that already and it figures out what you are trying to do before you can finalize. The only way around it is to put in the wrong age and I'm not going to try that.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They must have changed the site. It used to work.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
It's pretty obnoxious when on airline imposes its own rules for travel on another carrier when they don't apply on that carrier.
I would say it is a system limitation than "obnoxiousness". Imagine if they had to program and maintain every airlines' rule in the system. It is kind of hard to get around it by putting in fake DOB because of Secure Flight Data requirements.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 23, 2017 at 11:54 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Book an adult with her, and call in to split and cancel the adult.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
Nice try, I tried that already and it figures out what you are trying to do before you can finalize. The only way around it is to put in the wrong age and I'm not going to try that.
Why? it has no real bearing on anything - there is no database they will check and say "you booked the ticket with the wrong birth year, you're not flying". Air Canada will handle check-in and they will do their own docs-check at that time.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why? it has no real bearing on anything - there is no database they will check and say "you booked the ticket with the wrong birth year, you're not flying". Air Canada will handle check-in and they will do their own docs-check at that time.
Because I have this belief that it is wrong to lie. So I got it worked out by working with United. That would be my recommendation if you run into the same thing. Escalate if necessary.
username and FlyfromDenver like this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I believe UA just lowered its UM age to 14, starting 12/14.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
And I believe UA just lowered its UM age to 14, starting 12/14.
Website still has 15, https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
Where have you seen the age change?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Same question here. It would be interesting if it's true because part of my getting this resolved involved bringing the discrepancy between United and other US based airlines to the attention of United leadership. That would be impressive if they took action that quickly!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Just use the wrong age—AC will fix any minor (e.g., not name) discrepancy at check-in, and even if they don't, the only thing TSA et al check is that name matches ID.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scifience
Just use the wrong age—AC will fix any minor (e.g., not name) discrepancy at check-in, and even if they don't, the only thing TSA et al check is that name matches ID.
Thank you.

Last edited by BMGRAHAM; Dec 10, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
TA website had a release on it. It should become public soon.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
TA website had a release on it. It should become public soon.
Well wouldn't you know it, the page now says that UAM is required to age 14 instead of 15!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.