Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying United on a Holiday . . . .any special Holiday amenities offered onboard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying United on a Holiday . . . .any special Holiday amenities offered onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Southwest

I flew to Hawaii back in 1971 on a United 747 and it was the 4th of July. Not a BIG holiday but all the same, we were all given a plastic 'firecracker' (a flimsy plastic tube with a cap that had a string out the top) full of wrapped peppermint candies. A long time ago memory BUT I do remember it, vividly! I know Southwest has free drinks on certain holidays - does anyone remember any special holiday 'touch' that United did when you were flying on an actual holiday? Thinking mostly Thanksgiving or Christmas . . . but maybe Easter? 4th of July? I remember it was a really nice touch.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I was on a flight either Valentines day 2016 or 2017. The FAs handed out heart shaped cheesecake cookies.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Flew to Hawaii on 4th of July this year. Took the whole family, everyone got upgraded to FC (IAD-HNL) I got plenty of sleep - the rest said "I can't sleep on planes" LOL, well 9pm (3am our time) and fireworks started there were some tired kids, but they persevered and we had an awesome vacation.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Flew on Christmas Day 2 years ago. Nothing special in Y sfo-hkg.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:37 am

Yes. FAs will, in my experience, sometimes go out of their way to make nice decorations in serving carts, galley areas, and even restrooms, sometimes out of what they have, and sometimes things they actually bring themselves. Far from guaranteed but it really makes me appreciate spirit behind their act of thoughtfulness. And sometimes the general atmosphere is just different on holidays. If you're going to have to spend it in a metal tube, passengers and crew can really go out of their way at times to turn it into a nice friendly, social experience.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:49 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was kinda hoping for a Thanksgiving meal today (EWR-NRT) but it’s the standard Polaris menu.

Members who have been here a while will recall @PremEx’s mini Christmas Tree that graced many a galley over the years.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I was kinda hoping for a Thanksgiving meal today (EWR-NRT) but it’s the standard Polaris menu.

Members who have been here a while will recall @PremEx’s mini Christmas Tree that graced many a galley over the years.
I was just wondering if they offer holiday specific meals in premium cabins.
Has anyone come across a holiday specific meal in F or J either today or in the past? (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas?)
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Yes. FAs will, in my experience, sometimes go out of their way to make nice decorations in serving carts, galley areas, and even restrooms, sometimes out of what they have, and sometimes things they actually bring themselves. Far from guaranteed but it really makes me appreciate spirit behind their act of thoughtfulness. And sometimes the general atmosphere is just different on holidays. If you're going to have to spend it in a metal tube, passengers and crew can really go out of their way at times to turn it into a nice friendly, social experience.
When I flew on Halloween, they did decorate the A320. However, I wondered if that violated any FAA safety rules.

Party Pooper.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Not United but I got 2 cocktails comped for using my MileagePlus Explorer Card at EWR today in a C Concourse bar, prior to a flight to Orlando!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I was just wondering if they offer holiday specific meals in premium cabins.
Has anyone come across a holiday specific meal in F or J either today or in the past? (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas?)
not exactly a meal… But back in the day, in the 70s, Airlines would often have matzoh on hand during Passover!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Actually flew on a New Year's Eve in J a while back, and the only gift was the FA's great service. Our 12 hr flight had quite the little party that night. FA's had paper hats on, everyone happy. Handed a glass of bubbly alcohol filled liquid product when you first sat down, and it didn't stop coming until long after we had eaten. The captain announced Happy New Year in the appropriate time zone somewhere over the water.
tuolumne and CatHerder like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777
Actually flew on a New Year's Eve in J a while back, and the only gift was the FA's great service. Our 12 hr flight had quite the little party that night. FA's had paper hats on, everyone happy. Handed a glass of bubbly alcohol filled liquid product when you first sat down, and it didn't stop coming until long after we had eaten. The captain announced Happy New Year in the appropriate time zone somewhere over the water.
This may sound strange to some, but being in the air during New Year's Eve, is definitely on my bucket list.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Years ago when the original PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines) flew the west coast corridor, on Christmas Day, the FAs would always sing carols.., Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, et al.., and everyone would join in. Their frivolity made for many enjoyable and memorable flights. No wonder their livery had a smile painted on each aircraft!

Some of the best "Holiday" flights for me where those heading to MSY on DL (just before Mardi Gras). Anyone of you here ever experienced a few of those... and remembered it?

Oh, and flights departing around 9pm, out of DCA on July 4th - onward to the west coast has to be something that you do once in your lifetime.

Last edited by JetStreamDrifter; Nov 23, 2017 at 7:28 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Southwest
I usually bring a little gift for the FAs when I fly international - just some local chocolates or something - maybe next month I'll bring a little string of battery powered Xmas lights (along with the chocolate). Though not a national holiday, the year I was to turn 50, I contemplated flying to Australia on the day before my birthday, arriving the day AFTER my birthday, thus never having really turned 50. I could do that every year and remain "forever young"!
Dublin_rfk and zymm like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:15 pm

Not on united, but we flew back from LHR on BA in business class on thanksgiving a few years ago. They offered turkey as one of the meal choices. Definitely not the best thanksgiving dinner but I thought it was a nice touch. It was not on the printed menu so definitely catered specially for thanksgiving. Unfortunate part was when one of the passengers asked the FA if Britons celebrate Thanksgiving too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.