Wiki Posts
Search

UA award ticket, combine UA/BR itenarary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
UA award ticket, combine UA/BR itenarary

I am flying CHS-EWR-ORD-TPE-SIN next week, wife just got GE and has never flown outside the country, just got a mileage plus account even, so I would imagine 100% of her checkin will be done at airport. My last few trips (all UA metal) I was able to get boarding passes all the way thru to SIN from home...

OK, will CHS be able to issue BR boarding passes?
if no, will ORD (UA cust service counters) be able to issue them?

Reason I am asking is flight is at 0025 and we get to ORD at 5pm. I don't imagine there will even be anyone at T5 that early, bags should be checked thru
We will most likely land in T1 (767 from EWR to ORD) and want to access Polaris lounge - but unless I can get boarding passes, not sure - hence the questions about obtaining boarding passes.
If I am unable to obtain boarding passes will PNR/Itenerary be enough?

Thanks for your time....
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The lack of GE or PreCheck will not impact of the BPs -- if on joint PNRs, you should get both sets together unless you decide not to. The only issue will be your wife's passport will not be on file and will need to be scanned -- hope the app handles that. Assuming the passport scans fine, should be any different than your pass experiences. Traveling togther, your wife is likely to get PreCheck,
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The lack of GE or PreCheck will not impact of the BPs -- if on joint PNRs, you should get both sets together unless you decide not to. The only issue will be your wife's passport will not be on file and will need to be scanned -- hope the app handles that. Assuming the passport scans fine, should be any different than your pass experiences. Traveling togther, your wife is likely to get PreCheck,

Wife just got GE (I have had it for years) but yeah, even if passport doesn't scan, it should scan at CHS when we check in. Same PNR for both of us.

Mainly wondering if we get BR boarding passes when we check in at CHS or will we have to wait until we check in at ORD at BR counter?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If UA issued the ticket, UA should see the BR flights in there. Even if you don't have a BP issued, it's worth a try at the lounge.

Also, if UA doesn't issue the BPs, you can try with BR OLCI.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Yes, 016 ticket (award though) Obviously UA can "see" the ticket and the segments, but even though I chose my seats 6 months ago using the BR app, I haven't made a BR account, just used the PNR for BR which UA gave me. The part that has me worried is UA can't see the seats, which has me worried they won't be able to check us in. I am sort of willing to chalk it up to IT, but that also may cause other troubles. If it was LH, LX, ANA or AC I wouldn't worry so much.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The part that has me worried is UA can't see the seats, which has me worried they won't be able to check us in.
Don't worry about this. UA owns the reservation, but details like seat assignment changes don't always come back to the owner. This is very common -- pick a seat on another carrier independently, and the owner of the reservation doesn't show it. They just see what happened at time of booking.

At checkin, they won't use what's visible to you on the UA side. They will use what BR authoritatively has in their system. If they check in for BR, UA's system will call to BR's departure management (DM) system and BR will confirm the checkin and kick back all relevant info (including seats). You may even get a BP in your hand and it still won't update on the UA side of the PNR. That is perfectly normal.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience is changes in the BR seat assignment reflect back to the UA PNR. However, if it does not work, channa is saying that the DM/ACI part of the system will exchange the data upon check-in.

In normal situations, UA should be able to issue the boarding pass all the way. I do wonder about the TPE-SIN leg since it could be > 24 hours since you check in at CHS.

Whether you will get admitted to the Polaris lounge if you don't have the C ORD-TPE boarding pass, I don't know. My experience is that any segment's boarding pass will work since the function is really to pull up the PNR.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If I am unable to obtain boarding passes will PNR/Itenerary be enough?

Thanks for your time....
Originally Posted by username
My experience is that any segment's boarding pass will work since the function is really to pull up the PNR.
That seems to be the consensus talking among other colleagues as well. Hopefully this will be an easy trip. My wifes first Int'l trip and she is a hot mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.