Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With no Global First, what will GS do with GPU?

With no Global First, what will GS do with GPU?

Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by tuolumne
That wasn't written by an employee, believe me.
Here's what the actual customers say:

If United FAs are "First Class," what does that make the FAs on Southwest and Jetblue? United at least gets point for consistency -- as in being dead last every single time.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IMHO, the decision to lose GF was a bad one...
  • Many paid J customers chose UA because of the opportunities to UG to GF and UA ignored this halo effect
  • The decision was made during an economic downturn when premium travel was tanking
  • The decision was made when the company was being led by a moron.
  • UA allowed the quality of GF to decline so no surprise it wasn't doing well.
  • GF became overrun with non-revs that made it feel like a Greyhound bus
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 5khours
IMHO, the decision to lose GF was a bad one...
Which other airlines globally can you cite as evidence showing improved revenue/yield by increasing the F product on offer? Surely if this was a bad decision made by a moron then elsewhere will be many other companies that chose otherwise and are benefiting from that choice.

Added bonus for an airline that operates in similar markets, but I know that's not happening.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
We often talk about the way things used to be.

But 20 years ago, an upgrade from Y to C was not as big a step as it is today. C was a much simpler cabin. Today, C is miles ahead of what it was.

I've always feared (as others have noted upthread), that Y to C would eventually be considered a double upgrade, and it would be replaced with Y to Y+.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tryathlete
What Good are GPU for folks that already buy up to C like many GS with the elimination of F?

Worse than that—will this drive some GS to book Y and use GPU for UG to C?

Curious what others might think. Mods—if there’s a thread already feel free to move of course!
many of my GS colleagues at work have started booking more LH and UGding with GPUs there. With $90k PQDs they have quite a bit they can use on LH without risking their status
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sbm12
In some markets, maybe. But the number of airlines with F that offer it everywhere is dwindling. As is the number that offer F at all.
Agree wholeheartedly here. I think it's only a matter of time before the proliferation of LCCs in Asia drives away F from that market as well. The new future is economy, premium economy and business class
sbm12 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
The new future is economy, premium economy and business class
Which isn't really new at all. It is three classes of service on board, just like so many airlines have offered for so long. :-:
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:34 pm

Which other airlines globally can you cite as evidence showing improved revenue/yield by increasing the F product on offer? Surely if this was a bad decision made by a moron then elsewhere will be many other companies that chose otherwise and are benefiting from that choice.

Added bonus for an airline that operates in similar markets, but I know that's not happening.
It's only the relative number of F seats that's decreasing. Total international premium F capacity is increasing. It's just overshadowed by the growth in LCCs and low cost travel by the masses. Fewer F seats per plane does NOT equal fewer F seats. U.S. carriers have mostly lost the ability to compete in the international premium market and find it easier to just complain about the ME3 and jack up fares in the captive U.S. where the FTC has allowed them do create a monopoly.

And I would seriously challenge you to show that UA has improved it's revenue/yield in the international premium market. They are getting killed in this market.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:55 pm

Total international premium F capacity is increasing.
The number of routes where "premium F" is deployed is decreasing. The number of airlines offering it is decreasing. The number of subfleets where it is offered is decreasing. Even the airlines that are keeping it are removing it from some planes and reducing the number of seats in the cabin.

Plenty of airlines have had the opportunity in recent years with fleet refreshes to add or expand F cabins on their fleet. None took that option.

Any increase in F capacity over the past decade (and I'm not 100% convinced such exists) comes at a pace WAY below the capacity increases otherwise occurring, even if LCCs are excluded. The offering is shrinking as full-flat biz with direct aisle access takes over in J.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Often1
Not everyone who is GS flies in paid C. There are lots of companies which make a show of having even very senior people fly in Y.

Even those who fly NetJets for business, take family vacations and may like the idea of an UG for a family.
Truth!

My brother-in-law found that out the hard way recently. The new policy is for all senior executives except dep't heads (VP or better) to fly in Y, and you can't buy a full Y-fare. Their corporate travel dep't books fare classes below B, but which are still upgradeable. So, for 20+ years, he always previously flew paid biz into Japan and now has to play the upgrade lottery like the rest of us.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 24, 2017 at 1:49 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:29 pm

The number of routes where "premium F" is deployed is decreasing. The number of airlines offering it is decreasing. The number of subfleets where it is offered is decreasing. Even the airlines that are keeping it are removing it from some planes and reducing the number of seats in the cabin.

Plenty of airlines have had the opportunity in recent years with fleet refreshes to add or expand F cabins on their fleet. None took that option.

Any increase in F capacity over the past decade (and I'm not 100% convinced such exists) comes at a pace WAY below the capacity increases otherwise occurring, even if LCCs are excluded. The offering is shrinking as full-flat biz with direct aisle access takes over in J.
I'll say it again.

While the percentage of F seats to total seats may be decreasing, other airlines are increasing their overall F capacity. UA is NOT. They are one of the outliers. And it's due to bad management, bad execution, and bad judgement.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:04 am

I'll say it again.

While the percentage of F seats to total seats may be decreasing, other airlines are increasing their overall F capacity.
And I'll again challenge that assertion.

This decade:
LH? Nope.
AF? Nope.
SQ? Nope.
AA? Nope.
QR? Nope.
AI? Nope.
TK? Nope.
9W? Nope.
LA? Nope.
JJ? Nope.
LY? Nope.
BR? Nope.
QF? Nope (New A380s have but more 744s retired; new 787s don't have)

EK is taking planes with F still. Not all of them, but it is taking those deliveries. Of course, it is also planning on shrinking the existing cabins on a ton of its planes.

If we're using EK's fleet to define industry trends that's a choice, I suppose. But it is a bad one.

Last edited by sbm12; Nov 24, 2017 at 3:13 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I'll just keep giving em away like now.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Truth!

My brother-in-law found that out the hard way recently. The new policy is for all senior executives except dep't heads (VP or better) to fly in Y, and you can't buy a full Y-fare. Their corporate travel dep't books fare classes below B, but which are still upgradeable. So, for 20+ years, he always previously flew paid biz into Japan and now has to play the upgrade lottery like the rest of us.
this is what I’m talking about.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:20 pm

And I'll again challenge that assertion.

This decade:
LH? Nope.
AF? Nope.
SQ? Nope.
AA? Nope.
QR? Nope.
AI? Nope.
TK? Nope.
9W? Nope.
LA? Nope.
JJ? Nope.
LY? Nope.
BR? Nope.
QF? Nope (New A380s have but more 744s retired; new 787s don't have)

EK is taking planes with F still. Not all of them, but it is taking those deliveries. Of course, it is also planning on shrinking the existing cabins on a ton of its planes.

If we're using EK's fleet to define industry trends that's a choice, I suppose. But it is a bad one.
Of course if you create a list of only airlines with flat or decreasing F capacity, then it may appear that F is declining, but I think we had this discussion a few years back with the same result and to update since then..

In the three years through 2016, annual international F capacity has increased from roughly 77 to 98 million seats.

Of course if the airlines continue improve the J seats, your argument may eventually be right, but in that case it's simply a re-branding of what would have been considered F by instead calling it business class to meet US corporate travel policy requirements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.