Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With no Global First, what will GS do with GPU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With no Global First, what will GS do with GPU?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by villox
As a GS, my #1 use of GPUs is to upgrade economy award tickets.
+1 Biggest perk for me, though I occasionally do C->F upgrades when it looks like they might be heading towards expiration.
The award upgrade perk is a smart move by UA, as well, because it coerces us GS into staying loyal to UA metal (rather than explore *A carriers with business class award rates). It keeps us from getting wandering eyes.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
1. Use it on LH from D, C, J -> O
2. Use it on NH from D, C, J -> O

Will go out of my way to buy NH over the Pacific and LH over the Atlantic and from BKK-Europe. Clearing on NH (2 out of 4) is much harder than on LH (9 out of 10 this year).
If NH is not possible, then will look for P or Z fares on UA - used to buy D minimum.

Will also try to buy 016 tickets (costs a bit more) to get the maximum RDMs and much easier to have GS Agents make changes if needed.

Any GPU/PRU left overs will be gifted. Already given away more than 20 RPUs this year.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ermintrude
SDC is also going to be problematic more often.
Why??

Also my company may decide to buy me PE instead of J!!
Probably.

I think PE will have a significant affect on loyalty - I've already reduced my UA revenue travel by ~ 40% in the last few years due to the devaluations - just enough to get 1K and that's about it.
Me, too. But not in the direction you're thinking. You've already admitted that you gave up, well before Premium Economy showed up.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by tuolumne
....United is a first class airline with first class employees (something a smart mind wrote at the 747 farrewell party signature card wall). They have a first class fleet and a first class network. They should have an international First Class.
The "First Class" employees are often the only ones to ride in international FC -- along with FAMs. On both of last two 777s I was on, the 6 FC seats were occupied by 4 non-revs and 2 air marshals.

In fact, now that I think of it, I've seen two air marshalls in FC of every 3 class 777 I've flown on recently. That's a lot of real estate to non-paying customers who aren't even employees. On the 747, it was a lot cheaper for United because they sat on the UD instead of FC. So the demise of the 747 may have actually figured into ending GF....
kittiyut likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Nov 21, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Why??
Also standby - Particularly with regards to getting E+ or better seating.....E+ I'm fine with - I haven't been in E- or a middle seat in years....my legs can't take E-.

Probably.
Well more like possibly (~20%) but still don't like the possibility

....You've already admitted that you gave up, well before Premium Economy showed up.
I'm not sure how gaining 1K is equated to giving up? - currently however I get better value diversifying.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:49 pm

Pretty sure this all but sums it up.
Originally Posted by porciuscato
The "First Class" employees are often the only ones to ride in international FC -- along with FAMs. On both of last two 777s I was on, the 6 FC seats were occupied by 4 non-revs and 2 air marshals.

In fact, now that I think of it, I've seen two air marshalls in FC of every 3 class 777 I've flown on recently. That's a lot of real estate to non-paying customers who aren't even employees. On the 747, it was a lot cheaper for United because they sat on the UD instead of FC. So the demise of the 747 may have actually figured into ending GF....

Last edited by tuolumne; Nov 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Even those who fly NetJets for business, take family vacations and may like the idea of an UG for a family.
If you're flying Netjets for biz, how are you making GS? Do they have some cross-promotion going on?

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I assume the award chart will still quote one rate for F on UA metal (that doesn't exist) and an inflated rate for partner F.
Or eliminate partner F awards entirely, as Delta and some other J-only carriers do.

Originally Posted by Fraser
I know someone who owned their own KingAir 350 from new, then sold it for a new Embraer Phenom 300. When talking to him about a vacation trip to Europe he asked my thoughts on the various airlines, assuming he was flying F I gave him my opinion. He looked a bit sheepish when he said he was probably going VS Premium Economy, maybe Economy on VS if there was a large price difference
The business aircraft is a business acceleration tool, not for luxury (particularly with the Kingair).

Although maybe he paid for the VS PE tickets with Amex points from flying the Phenom.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by tryathlete
What Good are GPU for folks that already buy up to C like many GS with the elimination of F?

Worse than that—will this drive some GS to book Y and use GPU for UG to C?

Curious what others might think. Mods—if there’s a thread already feel free to move of course!
Use it to fly LH or NH F. UA MP treats this favorably since its essentially a JV
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I cannot fathom how a Y purchasing Customer could qualify for GS on spend. Must be corporate based nomination or qualification, no?
EASY.

1. Fly all Full fare Y.
2. Purchase a PassPlus thingie for $50k. A small business owner who does lots of last minute travel would be a good candidate for this whilst still booking Y.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by mduell
The business aircraft is a business acceleration tool, not for luxury (particularly with the Kingair).

Although maybe he paid for the VS PE tickets with Amex points from flying the Phenom.
Indeed, the aircraft was exactly that. He owned 100% of a company that had lots of sites in rural areas all east of the Mississippi, although the aircraft was also used for personal trips to second/third/fourth/fifth ( ) homes and other places for fun.

To me it just was slightly ironic that I was sitting on this $8m plane and talking about him flying cheap seats commercially whereas I probably earn the same in a year as he does in 2 weeks and yet I can personally justify paid FC internationally.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Use it to fly LH or NH F. UA MP treats this favorably since its essentially a JV
This is not good advice if you want to keep GS, as these paid fares will not count toward requalification. However, if you are safely GS already by UA metal spend, then presumably you also have quite a few GPUs that could indeed be used if you want to fly LH or NH F, but nothing about the MileagePlus program treating these programs favorably should steer you toward that decision.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
yet I can personally justify paid FC internationally.
For leisure or for work?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tuolumne

Pretty sure this all but sums it up.
Look I'm not a pharmacist, but clearly these employees are on drugs. United and "first-class airline" don't go together without "not in a trillion years" in-between.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Look I'm not a pharmacist, but clearly these employees are on drugs. United and "first-class airline" don't go together without "not in a trillion years" in-between.
That wasn't written by an employee, believe me.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by mduell
For leisure or for work?
Leisure. No international travel for work but they do pay for FC on all my domestic travels regardless of distance which is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.