Ticket / BP issue at gate after check-in

Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Ticket / BP issue at gate after check-in

I had a really weird thing happen today.

I checked in on my flight from LAX-HNL using the app, showed up on the upgrade list, it didn't clear. The usual, if you will.

When I went to scan the mobile boarding pass at the gate it brought up a red screen with "passenger not found". They sent me to the gate and they said I had no ticket for the flight and didn't understand how I made it to the gate. They finally called the help desk and got it reissued, supposedly a schedule change had happened. I had accepted it on the website weeks ago. Has this happened to anyone before?
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
When I went to scan the mobile boarding pass at the gate it brought up a red screen with "passenger not found". They sent me to the gate and they said I had no ticket for the flight and didn't understand how I made it to the gate. They finally called the help desk and got it reissued, supposedly a schedule change had happened. I had accepted it on the website weeks ago. Has this happened to anyone before?
Normally this gets picked up during the check-in process, which should have noted that there was no ticket attached to the reservation and flagged it for airport processing. The only unusual part is that they didn't catch it until the gate. I've only had that happen before when my ticket got messed up during a VDB attempt.

Did you attempt to upgrade with an instrument? That can lead to the reservation getting out of sync after a schedule change, although, again, it should have been noted during check-in.
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Latest I've had this happen is after take-off, and before pushback. Final W&B numbers didn't match, and I wasn't on the flight in the computer (with a BP in my hand, belted to my seat, after having consumed my pre-depart).

I had come in on a late international and barely made it, and apparently I had been rebooked after boarding (yes, UA's systems are that bad). Final check was W&B matching the number of heads the FA counted vs. what was in the computer. Cost us almost an hour before we could take off. UA had to put me back on the flight in the computer while we were waiting in the penalty box.
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Normally this gets picked up during the check-in process, which should have noted that there was no ticket attached to the reservation and flagged it for airport processing. The only unusual part is that they didn't catch it until the gate. I've only had that happen before when my ticket got messed up during a VDB attempt.

Did you attempt to upgrade with an instrument? That can lead to the reservation getting out of sync after a schedule change, although, again, it should have been noted during check-in.
Yup, tried upgrading with an instrument.
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, tried upgrading with an instrument.
That, plus the schedule change, probably contributed. One thing I'd recommend in the future is to double-check waitlisted upgrades after a schedule change, as they may need to be moved manually to the new flight. One way to see if this is necessary is to check the mobile app -- if you see an extra segment with the old flight information, you should call to get the record cleaned up. (The upgrade waitlist process creates an extra segment in the reservation, linked to the original flight number and waiting for class R. The schedule change process sometimes seems to miss these waitlisted records and doesn't carry them over to the new flight information).

Anyway, sorry that your upgrade didn't clear, but I'm glad you ended up making it to HNL. :-) Enjoy your trip...
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
That, plus the schedule change, probably contributed. One thing I'd recommend in the future is to double-check waitlisted upgrades after a schedule change, as they may need to be moved manually to the new flight. One way to see if this is necessary is to check the mobile app -- if you see an extra segment with the old flight information, you should call to get the record cleaned up. (The upgrade waitlist process creates an extra segment in the reservation, linked to the original flight number and waiting for class R. The schedule change process sometimes seems to miss these waitlisted records and doesn't carry them over to the new flight information).

Anyway, sorry that your upgrade didn't clear, but I'm glad you ended up making it to HNL. :-) Enjoy your trip...
Yup I did that actually. The instrument moved over with me. I was number 2 on the upgrade list until minutes before the flight. Really odd but at least it is a flight to HNL!
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup I did that actually. The instrument moved over with me. I was number 2 on the upgrade list until minutes before the flight. Really odd but at least it is a flight to HNL!
LAX-HNL is a CPU route - it's possible that's why you were showing on the upgrade list.
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Latest I've had this happen is after take-off, and before pushback
Cool trick!
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
LAX-HNL is a CPU route - it's possible that's why you were showing on the upgrade list.
No, I was using a RPU. I was number one to clear and there was one seat open. My tinfoil hat wearing side thinks the upgrade cleared and that is when things went sideways.
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I just had a similar experience Saturday. Ticketed IAH-YYZ on UA then YYZ-onward on a UA-marketed AC-operated segment, with a 5 min schedule change I accepted weeks prior. OLCI, get both BPs, fly IAH-YYZ, hit the AC lounge in YYZ, no problems.

Go to board and AC wants my FIM... I don't have a FIM, there haven't been any IRROPS. AC says UA never sent the ticket over. Fortunately I'm well prepared and I've recently verified all the coupons are on the ticket and I have the ticket number ready for them to manually attach.
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by mduell
I just had a similar experience Saturday. Ticketed IAH-YYZ on UA then YYZ-onward on a UA-marketed AC-operated segment, with a 5 min schedule change I accepted weeks prior. OLCI, get both BPs, fly IAH-YYZ, hit the AC lounge in YYZ, no problems.

Go to board and AC wants my FIM... I don't have a FIM, there haven't been any IRROPS. AC says UA never sent the ticket over. Fortunately I'm well prepared and I've recently verified all the coupons are on the ticket and I have the ticket number ready for them to manually attach.
How would a non FT'er ever survive flying this arirline!
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
How would a non FT'er ever survive flying this airline?!
Poorly.

David
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
How would a non FT'er ever survive flying this arirline!
Probably like the guy ahead of me in line: not flying that day.

In his case, he didn't check passport validity requirements, and neither did the airline in his checkin city. Sorry bud, not flyin today, stuck late in the evening a long way from home.

FT'ers know to check TIMATIC.
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Probably like the guy ahead of me in line: not flying that day.

In his case, he didn't check passport validity requirements, and neither did the airline in his checkin city. Sorry bud, not flyin today, stuck late in the evening a long way from home.

FT'ers know to check TIMATIC.
So....for those who don't know (like me):
What's FIM?
What's TIMATIC?
When [MENTION=137879]mduell[/MENTION] states that "I've recently verified all the coupons are on the ticket and I have the ticket number ready for them to manually attach." what does this mean? Does it mean that the 016 ticket number is ready and [MENTION=137879]mduell[/MENTION] just provides that to AC? I'm not sure what the "verified all the coupons are on the ticket" means. The only time I've looked at my 'ticket/coupon' status would be by going to the Saudi website to ensure everything is under "Airport Control".
Any clarification would greatly be appreciated!
Diapre likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flight Interruption Manifest, basically a paper ticket in IRROPS.
TIMATIC, a database of passport/visa/health requirements/suggestions by passport/residency/country.
I checked on the Saudi website that my ticket has all the coupons, and I provided the 016 ticket number to Air Canada.
Diapre likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.