Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So How Long Before United Follows Delta With Recliner Domestic FC To Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

According Ben at http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...antic-flights/ Delta is eliminating BC on couple of their routes to Europe replaced with aircraft with standard domestic FC seats. Anyone else think UA might follow on some of their 757 routes? Or even add them in the future using the domestic 757. Having sat in the domestic 757 seats last month for 4+ hours, which were VERY UNCOMFORTABLE, I'd need a supply of muscle relaxers to fly on such a route.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I can't recall what UA is using for EWR-KEF but I don't think that needs to be lie flat seats. I'd but the likelihood of doing so on actual TATLs I would say is slim to none.
I'm sure there's something the credit card blogger is omitting about aircraft deliveries or something like that where DL wants to launch the domestic lie flat network so for a specific period of time has to change those 3 flights to recliners.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not happening. And Delta is not selling this as business either, premium eco is fair. United does not have premium eco and I have idea how they would want to price this and on which routes ... the ones reported for Delta are probabaly the ones where they can get away with this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well, DL needs those lie-flats to complete domesticly with Mint and UA/DL.

As for the pain and suffering of TATL with domestic recliner F, the flight time for West Coast to NYC/BOS can approach NYC/BOS to some British Isles or Iceland or Portugal Azores. Especially for day time flights.

Would I be happy, probably not -- but at the right pricing. And these principally leisure routes
None of the DL routes are mainline europe,
Two Bee and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2017 at 8:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
According Ben at http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...antic-flights/ Delta is eliminating BC on couple of their routes to Europe replaced with aircraft with standard domestic FC seats. Anyone else think UA might follow on some of their 757 routes? Or even add them in the future using the domestic 757. Having sat in the domestic 757 seats last month for 4+ hours, which were VERY UNCOMFORTABLE, I'd need a supply of muscle relaxers to fly on such a route.
United doesn’t have a “domestic 757” so I’m not sure what you were actually thinking with this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
United doesn’t have a “domestic 757” so I’m not sure what you were actually thinking with this.
753? They fly those to Hawaii.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I see domestic 757s flying SFO-ORD. I normally pick those flights. The head rest on the coach seats are better than the Slimline garbage.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
If I recall, American had domestic first to some European cities in the 1990’s. Manchester comes to mind. Delta won’t be the first US major to offer this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Really??? Could have fooled me when I flew on them last month. So I'm guessing, I just didn't know how to fully recline the seats into bed mode.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold
As someone who cannot travel business class but can travel premium economy for work if be delighted with this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Not happening. And Delta is not selling this as business either, premium eco is fair. United does not have premium eco and I have idea how they would want to price this and on which routes ... the ones reported for Delta are probabaly the ones where they can get away with this.
United already sells domestic first seats as "business class" to Canada and Mexico so I'm sure they could spin it someway.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
of course they do. I’ve flown them ORD-SFO like a thousand times.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by seat38a
United already sells domestic first seats as "business class" to Canada and Mexico so I'm sure they could spin it someway.
Definitely. Marketing it as anything not Polaris would work. Could actually be a really nice way to give them the option to expand an international premium economy offering without much upfront cost or risk. Assuming the price is right, of course.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:43 am

Air Canada has been doing this for years. It's called Rouge. And despite expectations and complaints, it seems to be wildly successful.

You can bet your bottom dollar that every US airline is looking at the Rouge model for bottom end routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.