Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So How Long Before United Follows Delta With Recliner Domestic FC To Europe

So How Long Before United Follows Delta With Recliner Domestic FC To Europe

Old Nov 19, 17, 5:59 am

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Doh. I was thinking -200s, which are all lie-flat. I completely forgot about the -300s.
Old Nov 19, 17, 7:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA has lots more 757s with flat bed seats than DL, so they aren't in a similar pinch unless B6 enters another incumbent UA market with Mint.

I think United's solution for certain leisure-oriented , high-volume TATL markets will be the 77H.
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL 1MM/SM, HH Gold, AClub Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
The DL flights are JFK-PDL (2,557 mi), JFK-RKV (2,615 mi), and JFK-SNN (3,082 mi), so these are both non-business and short routes, relatively speaking. I don't see UA doing this, but even if they did, wouldn't blame them. This change by DL is being discussed over in the DL forum. It sounds like the bigger gripe is how the new planes will be used, for the new Delta One domestic routes, and specifically the lack of complimentary medallion upgrades on those flights.
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
The DL flights are JFK-PDL (2,557 mi), JFK-RKV (2,615 mi), and JFK-SNN (3,082 mi), so these are both non-business and short routes, relatively speaking. I don't see UA doing this, but even if they did, wouldn't blame them.
Especially when the competition is non-existent, WW/FI and EI's old product, respectively.

I wouldn't pay a premium for it, but also don't fault the company for offering the mid-range product in marginal, leisure markets.

And there have been conversations around here related to UA using the 737 to KEF. It isn't a long enough flight to get meaningful sleep anyways. I'd LOVE a UA daytime flight on that route on the 737. Leave EWR at 1-2p, arrive around midnight, RON the plane/crew and return 10-11a the next morning.
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:42 am

Programs: All the programs!
United doesn't have Premium Economy so no.
Old Nov 19, 17, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
United already sells domestic first seats as "business class" to Canada and Mexico so I'm sure they could spin it someway.
Business and Polaris are two different beasts. They will no confuse costumers with business TATL that is a different product. That would not go over well. So unless they'd be willing to'sell' these as E+ for free ... not going to happen.
Old Nov 19, 17, 9:50 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Switching from 752 to 753 is also a big capacity increase for already small markets like SNN, KEF, OPO, etc. 169 to 213. (vs. Delta 168 to 199 on the same aircraft type). In addition, UA will need to cycle the 753 through EWR, which are currently flying trunk routes between SFO/LAX/ORD. Are there any 753 that fly to EWR at the moment?=

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy View Post
Air Canada has been doing this for years. It's called Rouge. And despite expectations and complaints, it seems to be wildly successful.
You can bet your bottom dollar that every US airline is looking at the Rouge model for bottom end routes.
It's a bit different comparing markets. There are still 4 large competitors in the US vs Canada. And Canadian market pretty much shifts from leisure summer market in Europe to leisure winter market in Hawaii, Arizona, and Florida. It would be tough for US carriers to setup a LCC model because the winter market in the US is pretty much saturated with legacy+LCC carriers.

Overall, I think the only thing UA will probably do is start flying 737 TATL, ala Norwegian...
Old Nov 19, 17, 12:46 pm
cur

Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Air Canada has been doing this for years. It's called Rouge. And despite expectations and complaints, it seems to be wildly successful.

You can bet your bottom dollar that every US airline is looking at the Rouge model for bottom end routes.
financially successful? yes. beloved by consumers? heh.
Old Nov 19, 17, 1:26 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
I can't recall what UA is using for EWR-KEF but I don't think that needs to be lie flat seats. I'd but the likelihood of doing so on actual TATLs I would say is slim to none.
I'm sure there's something the credit card blogger is omitting about aircraft deliveries or something like that where DL wants to launch the domestic lie flat network so for a specific period of time has to change those 3 flights to recliners.

UA flies to KEF now?
Old Nov 19, 17, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA PP, AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott LTPP, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
UA flies to KEF now?
Summer seasonal recently announced. Starting in May 2018.

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...lines-icleand/
Old Nov 19, 17, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller View Post
753? They fly those to Hawaii.
I doubt it has the capability to make it trans Atlantic though. The 752s seemingly barely make it, given how often they have to stop for fuel. And the 753s max range isn't nearly as high, either.

Realistically it'd never happen, even if it were possible specs wise.
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX View Post
I doubt it has the capability to make it trans Atlantic though. The 752s seemingly barely make it, given how often they have to stop for fuel.
They both can make it to KEF or the British Isles/Ireland just fine. EWR-SNN is 2700nm compared to the ~3400nm range of the 753.
Old Nov 19, 17, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hyatt Explorist

The thing is before Rogue, they had routes such as DUB where they did not have lie down seats. I actually like the Rouge brand ONLY because it specifies you're getting a crappier service than mainline.
Old Nov 19, 17, 4:41 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
UP until recently, those of us ex-BOS had 6-6.5 hrs to SFO in said recliners. It wasnt the end of the world. In fact, if they offered it at non-hub direct routes like -BOS-LHR/FRA/BRU id strongly consider it.
Old Nov 19, 17, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Maybe UA should follow BA and fly A318s across the Atlantic.

Search this Thread