Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Itinerary Change - is this ok?

Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi FlyerTalk community,

I am a United 1K member, and had a recent issue with a reservation, and I would like some advice from this community please. I had a paid flight booked from BOS-SFO-*** for 5 people including myself, and United decided out of the blue months after ticketing to modify my itinerary to BOS-ORD-***. The original BOS-SFO flight which I purchased is still operating with the same flight number but was moved to leave 5 minutes earlier (7:55am vs. prior 8:00am). This travel is for several months in the future, not this week. Obviously the premium service transcontinental flight is a better flight and for the middle of the winter a safer routing to minimize chances of winter weather delays. I called United when I noticed the change and they seemed happy to make a change for me if I wanted , but my original BOS-SFO flight, while still operating is now sold-out so they were not willing to put me back on it. They claim that due to the fact that there was a schedule change, all they can do is offer me options based on current availability. While United was not willing to offer me any further explanation as to why they removed me from the flight to begin with, I later found out that the flight was originally a 777 when I booked it, and it is now scheduled to be a 757. Is it reasonable for them to bump me given this situation, or should I expect to have a higher priority to prevent being bumped off a now oversold flight as a 1K member? Until I found out about the plane change, I was very upset, but I am still not sure if I think it is reasonable for Untied to bump me or not. United certainly made no attempt to call/text/e-mail me about the change. I ended up cancelling the flight with United for a full refund and booked a transcontinental flight on another airline (trying Virgin America for the first time...).

I am curious if United is 100% in the right here, or if it is reasonable for me to have expected more from them given the situation?

Last edited by RichardJFuller; Nov 18, 2017 at 6:26 pm Reason: edit typo on new aircraft type
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, RichardJFuller!

Originally Posted by RichardJFuller
Is it reasonable for them to bump me given this situation
When there is a schedule change, or sometimes even a flight number change, it's unpredictable exactly what will happen due to United's sub-standard IT. That's why it's important to check flights regularly to try to intercept issues as quickly as possible.
anc-ord772 and oopl like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
, I later found out that the flight was originally a 777 when I booked it, and it is now scheduled to be a 727
Sorry for your troubles, but you want to check sub aircraft as UA does not fly any 727s. Maybe 737? 757?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Correct - it went from 777 to 757. Thanks for catching my mistake.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
I would assume that you were bumped because there was a reasonable option to get you to the final destination out of ORD. That may not be the case for everyone making a connection at SFO. BOS-SFO-AKL, for example, isnt a route you could simply replace with ORD.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Unless you share your ultimate destination, FT sages can only give you partial accurate advice. What's the place you were actually trying to get to, and then you'll learn more about whether DEN, LAX, IAH, or SFO offered better options than what you were auto-rebooked onto?

By the way, sked changes are a fact of life with United, when booking more than a couple of months ahead. It's the way they roll - moreso than many other airlines.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No it's not reasonable for you to accept the downgrade from a lie-flat to a non lie-flat configuration.

If UA cannot provide you a satisfactory alternative, you are entitled to a full refund.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
No it's not reasonable for you to accept the downgrade from a lie-flat to a non lie-flat configuration.

If UA cannot provide you a satisfactory alternative, you are entitled to a full refund.
OP made no mention of being booked up front.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee

That's confusing. The 752s they are subbing in for the 772 is a 28J config so that should not be an issue at all. Strange they are bumping a 1K. Is this during JPM or any other ridiculous demand date?

if it is a 5 min schedule change, same flight # etc. ... you should consider reaching out to the DOT to get a resolution. It is very strange to have a sold-out situation many months into the future for such a downgrade ... not too many people buy BOS-SFO months in advance ... unless it is JPM or something like it.

My 772 --> 752 change (yay!) for March happened just this Friday night ... so maybe wait a few days for other re-accommodations to happen and have some seats open up.

Which date is this?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:08 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
I am curious if United is 100% in the right here, or if it is reasonable for me to have expected more from them given the situation?
Yes and yes.

Your contract officially is from BOS to ***; the routing is not guaranteed. In that sense UA is within its rights to make that swap.

You're also within your rights to ask for a refund if the revised itinerary is not to your satisfaction. Which you did.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT, RichardJFuller

.... I am curious if United is 100% in the right here, or if it is reasonable for me to have expected more from them given the situation?
While I would not use the phrase "100% in the right", UA did not violate any law / DOT regulation. Such as involuntarily denied boarding.

With the aircraft change, UA had to reroute some (including you). Would it have been nice for UA to notify you of the change or given you priority to stay on the rescheduled flight, yep it would have been but UA is not required to do either.

Per the contract with you, the Contract of Carriage, they gave you a free cancellation. Additionally you could have gotten a change of schedule (based on availability).

The power relationship with airlines is strong baised in favor of the airlines. The greatness power you have is to do what you did, take the refund and purchase from another carrier.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2017 at 7:21 pm Reason: power relationship
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mtftw
OP made no mention of being booked up front.
You're right, but entitled to a refund regardless.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
my itinerary to BOS-ORD-***.
Not pickin' on a new member. I just have never understood the need for hidden destinations (***)?
Unless there is a flight # or particular date that needs to remain subliminal for some reason (top secret stuff), why not share all the itin so proper help can be provided?
I always wondered why, that' all???
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
if it is a 5 min schedule change, same flight # etc. ... you should consider reaching out to the DOT to get a resolution.
That would be a waste of time for OP, the DOT agent who got the complaint, and the UA agent who had to respond.

UA had an aircraft swap. It happens. Routing is not guaranteed. UA allows for a refund in this situation, of which OP availed. Even without the aircraft swap, the contract that you sign with UA states that they have the right to make whatever changes they see fit, and your rights are to ask for an alternative or a refund. The only protection comes from an oversold situation, and even that only applies at the gate.

OP: Sorry that you had this happen to you, and I hope you have a good trip on VX. To answer your question -- while one would hope that status would play a factor, that's an extremely elite-heavy route and it wouldn't surprise me if the people that they were able to put onto the 757 were also GS or 1K -- assuming you were in J, anyway. If you were in Y, well -- the reviews for the 10-across 777 are less than stellar, so UA may have done you a big favor. And, as others have pointed out, it's entirely possible that other passengers were going to destinations that don't have service from ORD and so it made the least overall disruption to re-route your party.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that the 5-minute change was in anticipation of or part of the aircraft sub. By the time OP called, there were no seats. So, that means a reroute. No idea whether a later BOS-SFO works for OP's schedule because his onward flight to Area 51 (have to presume that is "xxx") would have to move as well, but if it's available UA will certainly do that.

But, UA certainly may shift the routing. OP's contract is BOS-XXX and that is what he still has. But, he may cancel for a refund and that is what he says he will do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.