Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winning the West Coast

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
who the hell cares what the Top 10 destinations are ? I pick carriers based on the places *****I wanna go, not what a Top 10 list dictate I should go.

A trillion people can fly daily between OAK and TUS and I still have zero interest to visit that city.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Forgive my ignorance, but to what extent are these airports capacity limited by available gates or other factors? I don't fly to CA much these days, but when I do I'm struck by now crowded the airports are and (to my eyes) the relatively minimal addition of gates over the years.

That's anecdotal and I'm interested in a more informed assessment.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
DL has three daily nonstops OAK-LAX and OAK-SLC. So I'm flying OAK-LAX-HNL-SLC-OAK this week.

Personally, I'd like to see OAK serve the UA hubs (DEN, ORD, IAH) for connections, as opposed to LAX for O/D.
Agreed. When I last flew LAX-OAK, I bought on DL's express equivalent. Having been stranded multiple decades ago in OAK by WN, I absolutely refuse to fly them.

David
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
UA has a shortage of planes, it has given up SFO to both Toronto/Montreal YYZ/YUL and LAX to Toronto Montreal, thats over 8 flights a day and 3 of them are wide body planes. Stupidity, and reality it will be a long time before UA is flying its own planes to Toronto.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:09 am

Offering online connections from SJC/OAK to TUS does not help Delta win the West Coast (especially if you don’t consider Arizona to be the West Coast).

The only airline that is winning the entire West Coast is Southwest. Depending on what California airport you live near, different legacy carriers will be compelling.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
Offering online connections from SJC/OAK to TUS does not help Delta win the West Coast (especially if you don’t consider Arizona to be the West Coast).
Sure it does. If DL has a schedule that works, and UA does not, DL wins the business of that West Coast customer.

Is DL the strongest in the West Coast? Of course not, WN is, as you pointed out. But UA weakens its position more than DL, AA, and AS, by its lack of service from the other Bay Area airports.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by channa
Sure it does. If DL has a schedule that works, and UA does not, DL wins the business of that West Coast customer.

Is DL the strongest in the West Coast? Of course not, WN is, as you pointed out. But UA weakens its position more than DL, AA, and AS, by its lack of service from the other Bay Area airports.
I think the topic is about Winning the West Coast from a general perspective, not winning a handful of individual customers. Using your logic, JetBlue is Winning the West Coast for people that live near Long Beach and travel to destinations served by JetBlue. Or United is winning in SoCal for customers that want to travel from multiple airports to SFO, ORD, DEN, etc.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:35 am

yea DL also offers service to Chicago Midway and Dallas Love Field just like they do to OAK ... pray tell how much DL is “winning” in those markets

/s
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the topic is about Winning the West Coast from a general perspective, not winning a handful of individual customers. Using your logic, JetBlue is Winning the West Coast for people that live near Long Beach and travel to destinations served by JetBlue. Or United is winning in SoCal for customers that want to travel from multiple airports to SFO, ORD, DEN, etc.
Yes, in general. And it's not a handful of trips. There are millions of people in the East Bay and South Bay, and UA has no intra-West Coast flights or connectivity from either.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:59 am

somehow FT manages to portray a straight forward crossing of the San Mateo Bridge like root canal but seems to think northbound 880 or the Guadalupe Parkway at rush hour is such a walk in the park
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by channa
Yes, in general. And it's not a handful of trips. There are millions of people in the East Bay and South Bay, and UA has no intra-West Coast flights or connectivity from either.
I don't define "winning" as showing up; that's called participation.

Since there appears to be a propensity to define West Coast as California, let's look at some facts. The 10 largest airports in California are LAX, SFO, SAN, OAK, SJC, SNA, SMF, ONT, BUR, and LGB. Southwest and Delta serve all 10, while United serves 8. Southwest wins with the largest capacity at the 10 airports, with about 26% of seats. United is second, with 18%, while Delta has 9% of seats at the 10 largest airports (source: OAG). There's not an easy source of data for the number of routes each carrier serves from the airports, but I would imagine the ranking would be similar.

If you would like to define "winning" differently and present some facts to support the position that Delta is the winner and United is the loser (or some alternate iteration), it would be my pleasure to engage in further discourse.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Since there appears to be a propensity to define West Coast as California, let's look at some facts.
I don't define it that way, and I don't think most business people do either. The major industries on the West Coast tend to have facilities up and down the coast, e.g. Microsoft has a major presence near SFO, PDX, SFO/SJC, and to a lesser extent LAX/SNA. Intel has major facilities in PDX, SFO/SJC, SMF, PHX, SAN, SNA. The west coast is sort of like the accela corridor, there is a lot of connection between major cities and not just intra-CA.

Kirby clearly realizes that cuts in west coast service (both before the merger in the 2007-9 crash period when UA pulled down its very fuel inefficient 737 fleet) and then post the CO take over have heavily eroded what was once a dominant position as the primary West Coast business carrier. AS/VX and DL are both trying to take over that roll, and both are ahead of UA at this point. I applaud Kirby for realizing how weak UA has become and the secondary impacts it is having, I just think that United's brand and product is so devalued at this point that just tossing extra capacity at it is not going to fix the issues UA has created for itself on the West Coast.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by spin88
I don't define it that way, and I don't think most business people do either. The major industries on the West Coast tend to have facilities up and down the coast, e.g. Microsoft has a major presence near SFO, PDX, SFO/SJC, and to a lesser extent LAX/SNA. Intel has major facilities in PDX, SFO/SJC, SMF, PHX, SAN, SNA. The west coast is sort of like the accela corridor, there is a lot of connection between major cities and not just intra-CA.

Kirby clearly realizes that cuts in west coast service (both before the merger in the 2007-9 crash period when UA pulled down its very fuel inefficient 737 fleet) and then post the CO take over have heavily eroded what was once a dominant position as the primary West Coast business carrier. AS/VX and DL are both trying to take over that roll, and both are ahead of UA at this point. I applaud Kirby for realizing how weak UA has become and the secondary impacts it is having, I just think that United's brand and product is so devalued at this point that just tossing extra capacity at it is not going to fix the issues UA has created for itself on the West Coast.
If you through SEA and PDX into the mix with the top 10 California airports, the ranking by share of seats stays the same: Southwest with 23%, United with 16%, and Delta with 10%. I would imagine that AS/VX becomes very competitive when you include SEA and PDX.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by spin88

I would dispute that Intel has major facilities in SAN or SNA

Originally Posted by boat9781
Agree with the sentiment, even if a bit hyperbolic. I’m not suggesting UA fly LAX Fresno. But LAX SJC for example is a indicative of the lack of network that matters. It may not be the most profitable route but by not serving it, an LAX based GS has to fly another carrier to get there. And Silicon Valley is home to some of the most profitable businesses in the world. Why shy a way from that market? Not unlike the JFK repercussions Kirby alluded to once.
This I strongly agree with. I'm an SJC based flyer. I'm also a GS customer. I'm temporarily living elsewhere, so UA network doesn't matter much in this market, but when I move back to SJC, I may have to leave UA. I flew AA for years because of SJC-SNA, but left them for UA back in '06 and did the trek SFO-SNA or SJC-LAX. With SJC-LAX no longer an option, when I move back to SJC, there's a high likelihood they lose this GS customer. I realize I matter nothing, but the question is, how many other GS customers have a similar profile that the lose also. The GS hadcuffs are kind of tight though...so maybe they don't lose me and I just make the trek to SFO which I hate since SJC is in my backyard. There's a limit to this abusive relationship though...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2017 at 12:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't define "winning" as showing up; that's called participation.

Since there appears to be a propensity to define West Coast as California, let's look at some facts. The 10 largest airports in California are LAX, SFO, SAN, OAK, SJC, SNA, SMF, ONT, BUR, and LGB. Southwest and Delta serve all 10, while United serves 8. Southwest wins with the largest capacity at the 10 airports, with about 26% of seats. United is second, with 18%, while Delta has 9% of seats at the 10 largest airports (source: OAG). There's not an easy source of data for the number of routes each carrier serves from the airports, but I would imagine the ranking would be similar.

If you would like to define "winning" differently and present some facts to support the position that Delta is the winner and United is the loser (or some alternate iteration), it would be my pleasure to engage in further discourse.
You're counting points on a map and tallying things on a spreadsheet. That's not how people fly.

"Serving" is not good enough. UA serves SJC to DEN/IAH/ORD/EWR. If you're flying within the Western states, UA's network out of SJC does you no good.

DL, OTOH, serves SJC to SEA/LAX/SLC/MSP/ATL. If you're flying within the Western states, DL has a much more comprehensive network out of SJC. UA is not even a player.

IF UA has a nonstop ex-SFO that gets you to where you want to go about when you want to go, UA can win the business.

If UA does not have a non-stop ex-SFO that meets your requirements, then UA is often not the strongest carrier in the West Coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.