Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United is inflexible using different upgrade instruments types on same PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

I am a current United Premier 1K member. I currently have 1 global upgrade and 1 regional upgrade available. I am flying with my girlfriend from LAX to Hawaii in a few days, and tried using them to upgrade both of us. United flatly refused. They said that if I had 2 regional upgrade awards, or 2 global upgrade awards, that they'd do it, but not with 1 of each. Which makes no sense. They said that if I want to do it with one each that they need to split our reservation -- which of course would cause my girlfriend to never get upgraded, as her status is low. What a bummer. Why are you making your awards so difficult to use?

Also, a related piece of customer experience. I called the dedicated 1K phone line to sort this out. I explained the problem, and was told no. So then I suggested to the rep to provide this feedback to others at United, at which point the rep became terse and hanged up on me. Great customer service. :-(
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You have a few options:
  • Split the PNR, waitlist both, and if only one clears let your girlfriend have it
  • Wait for R availability to open, and if/when it does, split the PNR, upgrade your girlfriend, then waitlist yourself
  • Try to find a solution in Coupon Connection
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
What you have said don't make sense either.

Originally Posted by pixelator30
They said that if I had 2 regional upgrade awards, or 2 global upgrade awards, that they'd do it, but not with 1 of each.
IT issues. If you have tried online, it will result the same issue as well.

They said that if I want to do it with one each that they need to split our reservation -- which of course would cause my girlfriend to never get upgraded, as her status is low.
It depends on the R space availability of your flight. Some upgrades can actually be confirmed immediately.

Why are you making your awards so difficult to use?
They are always difficult to use if you don't know how to properly use it.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:27 pm

which of course would cause my girlfriend to never get upgraded, as her status is low.
Your girlfriend's status shouldn't matter - the upgrade instrument is waitlisted based on the status of the sponsor (you)
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steaminer
Your girlfriend's status shouldn't matter - the upgrade instrument is waitlisted based on the status of the sponsor (you)
That is not true for instruments applied after a reservation is split, unless the instrument came from a GS account.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP is correct on this. Priority is based on the pax, not the instrument used.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm pretty sure this is just an unfortunate system limitation. Not UA being intentionally difficult.

That was the old rule. No longer so.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
You should ask them to convert your GPU to an RPU. RPUs are strictly less value to the flyer (i.e. cheaper to United) than GPUs. But...United doesn't think logically so I imagine this wouldn't work anyway.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigwings8
You should ask them to convert your GPU to an RPU.....
Didn't know that's possible. Is it 1GPU=2RPU? Does conversion go both ways?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Didn't know that's possible. Is it 1GPU=2RPU? Does conversion go both ways?
No. The value of a GPU is greater than that of an RPU, so the poster is assuming that UA would be 'willing' to convert 1 GPU to 1 RPU. There is no such thing as 1GPU -> 2RPU or 3RPU or vice versa. The poster is suggesting that the OP ask UA to take away the GPU and give him an RPU just for this 'waitlisting situation'.
Some of us wish there was some conversion, others don't care, others have no opinion
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Some of us wish there was some conversion, others don't care, others have no opinion
No official conversion, but 2:1 would not be uncommon on coupon connection.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Call MPSC, instead

It is worth to call MileagePlus service center to switch out of a RPU (cleared in an early trip) with a GPU. Now, you will have two RPUs to apply to your new trip. If the upgrade does not clear, do another switch out to get GPU back.
good luck.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
It is worth to call MileagePlus service center to switch out of a RPU (cleared in an early trip) with a GPU. Now, you will have two RPUs to apply to your new trip. If the upgrade does not clear, do another switch out to get GPU back.
good luck.
Wow. That's a good idea.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike2003242
I would split the reservation then use the GPU on her as all GPUs clear before RPUs. Then use the RPU on yourself since being 1k makes the chance of it clearing more likely. The only people clearing between you two would be GS using a RPU.
GPUs do not clear before RPUs.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
GPUs do not clear before RPUs.
you sure are right, nevermind!! I was almost certain GPUs cleared before RPUs but apparently not!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.