Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any advantage of using UA club lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I'm surprised you're not impressed with the new LAX UC. I think it's awesome, and particularly love the outdoor deck, where you can closely observe the tarmac operations at the gate just below.
cranky1K, Two Bee and tstauck like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
As for boarding announcements, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad in places like SAN, but if I’m in the lounge in a hub like ORD, I definitely don’t want boarding announcements, which if they did everything would probably happen every 30 seconds or less. IME, in some international lounges, like NRT, where there are only a handful of flights, they do announce all flight boardings - that is fine by me.
Haha, I was just in the NH lounge at NRT and they have resumed boarding announcements for NH and *A flights. It seemed like there was an announcement every couple of minutes. I preferred the silence. Used to be when you checked in to the lounge, they advised you there were no boarding announcements.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm surprised you're not impressed with the new LAX UC. I think it's awesome, and particularly love the outdoor deck, where you can closely observe the tarmac operations at the gate just below.
For what it is worth, I actually like the SAN United Club. It is in a much better location than the AirSpace lounge and has the current fresh design. Now most of us would rather be at our destination than a lounge, but the SAN UC is better that most lounges.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
They will make boarding announcements for delayed flights at SAN, which is the only time I find that useful.
Well my SAN-LAX flight is delayed, so came to the United Club and asked them if they will make a boarding announcement since my flight is delayed. The agent indicated he would keep an eye on it for me but I should monitor myself, so going to see if they do indeed make an announcement.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
+1 and it's definitely way better than the previous LAX united club.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well my SAN-LAX flight is delayed, so came to the United Club and asked them if they will make a boarding announcement since my flight is delayed. The agent indicated he would keep an eye on it for me but I should monitor myself, so going to see if they do indeed make an announcement.
Don't beat on it, I have been burned badly by this before (more than once).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Took a peek at the SAN-LAX flights - assume you were on UA 5451. Indeed it got into the gate at LAX 48 minutes late.

Did the SAN UC agent/staff do as requested?

Hope you got a J seat on the LAX-LHR segment.

David.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For me, having access to multiple UA agents in times of need without huge lines, is a key benefit.
This, plus that on average i feel lounge agents to be more patient, accommodating, and knowledgeable than GAs
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drew in the air
+1 and it's definitely way better than the previous LAX united club.
Well nearly did not end well. No announcement but watched the monitors and finally went to the front desk and asked the same man who had processed me into the lounge and who had told me he would make an announcement (but also told me to watch the monitors). He looks at me, looks at his monitor and says go to the gate quickly now. So no, SAN does not make announcements for delayed flights. Next time I will not use the United Club at SAN as i can watch the monitors myself. As always, great check-in experience with the SAN folks.

In LAX (left my umbrella in the overhead -ughhh as realized when I landed LHR). Walked a Kiwi to TBIT through the tunnels as she was connecting to NZ so went the Star Alliance lounge which was great as always. Get back to Terminal 7 and go to the United Club to change into comfortable clothes for the red eye. United Club at LAX is not as good as the Star Alliance lounge. Agree it is better than what was there before but the food, noise, ambience is way short in my mind.

Used the Priority Pass lounge for a shower upon arrival at LHR. United really should look at being competitive in this area. I was on a paid Polaris business ticket and no invite to the United Arrivals lounge.

Yes in J for the LAX-LHR leg as paid for a "P" ticket. Thanks for asking David. So slept well.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Nov 17, 2017 at 7:14 am
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I was on a paid Polaris business ticket and no invite to the United Arrivals lounge..
Was that due to arriving after noon, when I think it closes (presumably as you will be able to check into your hotel by then)? Otherwise I thought arriving Polaris could use it.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Was that due to arriving after noon, when I think it closes (presumably as you will be able to check into your hotel by then)? Otherwise I thought arriving Polaris could use it.
It was open but clearly stated invitation only and I did not have one.

Our LAX-LHR flight was due to arrive at 12 noon but we arrived much earlier (around 11.15am I think).

I was not going to a hotel but connecting to a train to Exeter and will not be at my B&B until after 6pm.

Good to know for future reference I should be able to request to use it without an invitation.

Even better I now have the Amex Platinum card and have access to alternative lounge airports. A shower was needed for anyone who is going to be near me today!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well nearly did not end well. No announcement but watched the monitors and finally went to the front desk and asked the same man who had processed me into the lounge and who had told me he would make an announcement (but also told me to watch the monitors). He looks at me, looks at his monitor and says go to the gate quickly now. So no, SAN does not make announcements for delayed flights. Next time I will not use the United Club at SAN as i can watch the monitors myself. As always, great check-in experience with the SAN folks.
Not sure who that was, sorry he let you down. The two ladies who staff the desk late afternoon and evening have always made announcements for me. I suspect we'll be needing them tonight
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Used the Priority Pass lounge for a shower upon arrival at LHR. United really should look at being competitive in this area. I was on a paid Polaris business ticket and no invite to the United Arrivals lounge.
You don't need a physical "invitation." The *A Arrivals Lounge has a list of all eligible passengers. You just need to show your boarding pass.

I do agree that United could do a better job of informing their J passengers of the arrivals lounge.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
As a frequent SAN-LAX-LHR business class flyer, I'm surprised by your comments.
I'm GS, OWE, and have an Amex Plat. Sometimes I fly the route on UA, sometimes on AA, and occasionally take the SAN-LHR BA nonstop.

The SAN UA club is one of the nicest non-hub UA clubs I've been to. I find it far superior to the SAN Airspace lounge. Amex Plat provides $10 of credit to use at the Airspace lounge, which gets you a little snack, or a regular drink, or a nice discount on a premium drink. The free food offerings at the SAN UA club are superior, in my opinion. I won't even bother going in to the Airspace lounge when flying AA/BA, and never will when flying UA.

The LAX UA club is also an outstanding club. It can't compare to the LAX Qantus First lounge that I get access to as OWE when flying AA, but it is still nice. I can't wait for the LAX Polaris lounge to open. AA also has a Flagship First lounge opening later this month.

The LHR UA arrivals lounge is the best I've been to in Europe. You do not need an invitation, you just need to arrive when it is open. The T2 Priority Pass arrivals lounge is handy to have, but the only time I use it is if I fly on the late SFO-LHR flight, when the UA lounge is closed. The AA arrivals lounge is also nice. I never use the BA arrivals lounge since it is closed when the SAN-LHR flight lands.

The LHR UA club is also outstanding. As a GS, I head over to the GFL, but I wasn't impressed with the LH, AC, or SQ lounge offerings in comparison. LHR is the rare location where UA's offerings are superior.

So, in summary, for the SAN-LAX-LHR Polaris route, the UA lounge offerings are far superior to the Amex offerings at all 3 locations.
SunLover likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Smile

Well nearly did not end well. No announcement but watched the monitors and finally went to the front desk and asked the same man who had processed me into the lounge and who had told me he would make an announcement (but also told me to watch the monitors). He looks at me, looks at his monitor and says go to the gate quickly now. So no, SAN does not make announcements for delayed flights. Next time I will not use the United Club at SAN as i can watch the monitors myself. As always, great check-in experience with the SAN folks..
Been burned too many times on this at various clubs. Even if they say they will announce I NEVER expect it to happen. I guess this is one bet I am sorry I won. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.