SFO-PEN why 3K on SIN-PEN leg?

Old Nov 14, 17, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Pt; Marriott Au; Hyatt Pt
SFO-PEN why 3K on SIN-PEN leg?

Looking at SFO-PEN. United.com routes SFO-SIN-PEN, but uses 3K for SIN-PEN instead of MI. True, MI is not *A but is at least aligned with SQ while 3K is owned by QF and hence aligned with OW. Seems odd -- MI seems to have reasonable baggage allowances. I hae no idea what 3K would offer.
Old Nov 14, 17, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by aerokitty View Post
Looking at SFO-PEN. United.com routes SFO-SIN-PEN, but uses 3K for SIN-PEN instead of MI. True, MI is not *A but is at least aligned with SQ while 3K is owned by QF and hence aligned with OW. Seems odd -- MI seems to have reasonable baggage allowances. I hae no idea what 3K would offer.
Same reason that SQ codeshares mostly with VX for its domestic US traffic. UA and SQ just don't get along at all.
Old Nov 14, 17, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver (MM), Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat. Always somewhere, never anywhere...
For the outbound it shouldn't be a big deal as UA does have an interline baggage agreement with 3K so they should check your bag through without issue. SIN is good at interlining baggage so your bag should even make it without issue.

For the return your 3K flight should include baggage allowance. I have found that all non-3K booked flights (e.g. through travel agencies and other airlines) include baggage. When you pull up your reservation on Jetstart.com you will be able to see the baggage allowance that comes with your flight. I believe non-3K booked flights will have 20kg allowance.

I'm not sure about 3K interlining your bag back to UA on the return. Someone else can hopefully comment on that.

Just based on my experience. I've not booked 3K through United.com but have through other agencies.

-RM
Old Nov 14, 17, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
For the return your 3K flight should include baggage allowance.
US law requires that carriers use the baggage policy from the first carrier in an itinerary for the entire thing. However, fee waivers (e.g., for status) need not apply. You'd get whatever baggage allowance UA charges a non-status passenger for that itinerary.
Old Nov 14, 17, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Fairmont PC Premier; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
Just book the leg from SIN separately. FT'ers worry way, way too much about when things go wrong.
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt; Marriott Au; Hyatt Pt
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Just book the leg from SIN separately. FT'ers worry way, way too much about when things go wrong.
Well, this is why I asked the question... The advice from jsloan implies that I should NOT book a separate ticket from SIN-PEN since that would remove the protections from the first varrier. UA gives 2x23kg to anyone on the SFO-SIN route so that would be advantageous to the default 3K SIN-PEN allowance of 0kg or 20kg if you paid extra. MI gives 30kg default. If jsloan is correct, then using 3K (united.com default) makes sense only if you have a combined itinerary and 3K honors US law on both the SIN-PEN and PEN-SIN legs.
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by aerokitty View Post
Well, this is why I asked the question... The advice from jsloan implies that I should NOT book a separate ticket from SIN-PEN since that would remove the protections from the first varrier. UA gives 2x23kg to anyone on the SFO-SIN route so that would be advantageous to the default 3K SIN-PEN allowance of 0kg or 20kg if you paid extra. MI gives 30kg default. If jsloan is correct, then using 3K (united.com default) makes sense only if you have a combined itinerary and 3K honors US law on both the SIN-PEN and PEN-SIN legs.
They won't have any option but to follow it from SIN-PEN. Because UA has an interline baggage agreement with them, your bags will be checked through to PEN from your origin point. You'll never see them in SIN.

I don't have any experience flying 3K, but I can tell you that both US law and IATA procedure have the same result in this case -- US law says the marketing carrier of the first segment, IATA says the most significant segment. Either way, it's UA.

However, I do not believe you would get 2x23kg. I believe you will get 1x23kg, because that's what UA has published for SFO-PEN. (Despite not flying to PEN, UA can file a baggage charge that covers that fare). The UA baggage calculator lists first bag free, second bag $100 for SFO-PEN.

If you fly on separate tickets, you would obviously get the allowance for each ticket individually, so you would get the (more generous) SFO-SIN allowance on the UA leg. However, UA may refuse to interline your luggage to MI (or 3K, for that matter) if on a separate ticket, meaning that you'd need to clear immigration and customs at SIN, pick up your bag(s), and carry it (them) to the check-in counter. MI/3K may do the same in PEN.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread