SFO/LAX to SIN with connection

Old Nov 14, 17, 9:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance
SFO/LAX to SIN with connection

So do I understand correctly that the only option to get from SFO or LAX to SIN with connection and reasonable price is to fly to NRT/HND on UA and from there to SIN via NH? Seems HKG as a stop is not an option any more due to >$700 price difference. Going via TPE gives similar price range too.

P.S. No I won't sit in Y for 18h non-stop. Did it once, never again.
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
CA will get you there via PEK for 470.00 for dates in January
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
So do I understand correctly that the only option to get from SFO or LAX to SIN with connection and reasonable price is to fly to NRT/HND on UA and from there to SIN via NH? Seems HKG as a stop is not an option any more due to >$700 price difference. Going via TPE gives similar price range too.

TL/DR: Yes.

The routing rules for the discount UA fares to SIN theoretically allow transit in Tokyo or Seoul. They have not (yet?) updated their rules to allow transit through HKG on anything except the now-cancelled UA flight.

Osaka is also an option in the routing rules, but I don't believe there are any NH or UA flights from Osaka to SIN, so it's not particularly meaningful unless you were attempting to add several connections.

The fare rule text itself -- at least, for the S fare I pulled up as an example -- does not permit travel from South Korea to Singapore on any OZ flight, even though that's a specific option in the routing rules. So, that eliminates that option as well.

So, basically, Tokyo it is. Anything else is going to require either a more expensive UA fare or end-on-end fare construction within Asia.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Friends don't let friends connect in PEK. Obviously there are any number of non-UA options that would allow different connection points in Asia.
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Refugeeist
So do I understand correctly that the only option to get from SFO or LAX to SIN with connection and reasonable price is to fly to NRT/HND on UA and from there to SIN via NH?
Only if you insist on ticketing with UA.

The better Y options to SIN have always been on foreign carriers, including SQ or BR, which are available at the same (dirt cheap) price point as UA.
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
No connection to China and no CA either.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The better Y options to SIN have always been on foreign carriers, including SQ or BR, which are available at the same (dirt cheap) price point as UA.
I have not seen any dirt cheap option with SQ. And those which I've seen earned 0 PQMs..

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
TL/DR: Yes.
Seems that 2017 will be my last year with UA...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 14, 17 at 12:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Refugeeist
I have not seen any dirt cheap option with SQ. And those which I've seen earned 0 PQMs..
I see an $822 fare widely available SFO-SIN, which is only slightly higher than UA's $798. You're correct, the SQ K fare does not earn on UA.
Old Nov 14, 17, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Global Entry, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Seems that 2017 will be my last year with UA...
Perhaps moving over to SQ is the way to go then, at least you'd earn elite status miles when on their metal, and theoretically* have access to long haul J cabins with miles. But I'm sure the dedicated "Where to credit" threads will be of more help.

*I've read they are as bad or worse than AA with availability
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:08 pm

Well.. BR is having USD745 fare to SIN from SFO, gives you 50% credit to MileagePlus... and MileagePlus only...
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear..._ALLIANCE;eo=e
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Perhaps moving over to SQ is the way to go then
Not for status/*G - as I said, if I fly with SQ, I will earn no more than 5000 miles on their own metal for qualification - they award 10% of miles on the flights I'd book thru corp portal.

As far as award flights, I have not had big problems with SQ - I've credited 500K miles there thru credit card spent/sign up bonuses last 6 years and was able to redeem number of J/F flights with SQ.
Old Nov 15, 17, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM

just looked for Dec. time frame found 399usd SFO-SIN with aisle and window available. Well excuse me but 399 even if It is Y livable. Ok I would need a fair amount of adult beverages but I could do it.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
Ok I would need a fair amount of adult beverages but I could do it.
Well, I won't - sitting and damaging my health for 18h and then further damaging it trying to elevate the situation by consumption of alcohol. So splitting the journey on two appx same length segments is far better.

But it is me, I understand that people have different priorities.
Old Nov 15, 17, 8:08 pm

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Well, I won't - sitting and damaging my health for 18h and then further damaging it trying to elevate the situation by consumption of alcohol. So splitting the journey on two appx same length segments is far better.

But it is me, I understand that people have different priorities.
I just did SFO-SIN on UA1 on the EWR-SIN coach fare of $473. After 6 hr in coach on the EWR-SFO I decided the $1059 for the business class upsell for SFO-SIN was appealing. Slept well and only drank water.
Old Nov 15, 17, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, VX, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
After 6 hr in coach on the EWR-SFO I decided the $1059 for the business class upsell for SFO-SIN was appealing.
I guess you could call that effective marketing
Old Nov 15, 17, 8:59 pm

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I guess you could call that effective marketing
It was compelling and convincing so very effective. Still, with the $473 fare, even adding the $1059 for the SFO-SIN segment makes for a reasonable (mixed) business class fare, and lower than what it would have cost if booked initially even if I do the same on the return. The SIN-SFO-EWR return is not until January, so we'll see if the Pineapple Express is working then to shorten the time with the winds. On the return, I have a better (IMO) E+ seat for the longhaul. The 2-2-2 configuration as well as the small triangular foot area of that seat is not the most desireable, but better than coach.

Search this Thread