Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random / little known premier benefits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Being able to avoid LH self tagging economy check in is a real benefit, especially if you have a slightly overweight bag. I travel from Munich to Heathrow regularly and always use the F check-in desk. A bag a couple of pounds over is always accepted with a smile. Try doing that with a self check in and you'll be charged excess every time.

The additional checked bag on LH as a* is useful as well, provided you aren't on a light fare.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
I'd be interested to find out any extra *G benefits on other airlines.
For example, back when US existed, I'd get a free checked bag with *G (or maybe it was *S back then)
I think NZ has offered the best *G treatment I've seen. Was treated identically to a NZ*G, including preferred seating and getting yelled at for calling the non-elite reservations line
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I can't think of any benefit that extends to a spouse traveling alone other than if you are a MM.
That's why that free USAirways Club membership gave my wife 4 years in a row (2010 to 2014) was a great benefit that I had as a Chairman's Preferred. We were sorry to see USAirways disappear but then we now moved to a city that only gives us the choice of United or Delta so the result would have been the same: started flying United since September 2016. And finally in two weeks I'll reach UA 1K and my wife will reach Platinum. So, at least she'll have access to the clubs when flying international alone.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Nov 14, 2017 at 6:35 pm Reason: Correct date of joining United
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by findark
I think NZ has offered the best *G treatment I've seen. Was treated identically to a NZ*G, including preferred seating and getting yelled at for calling the non-elite reservations line
What do you need to do to get access to preferred seating? I'm *G and am flying NZ next month.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by pinks
What do you need to do to get access to preferred seating? I'm *G and am flying NZ next month.
When you go into Manage Booking, as long as you have input your MP#, then it will recognize you as Gold and allow you to select the seating for Gold Elite members. I too am travelling NZ next month and have already chosen my seats!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
When you go into Manage Booking, as long as you have input your MP#, then it will recognize you as Gold and allow you to select the seating for Gold Elite members. I too am travelling NZ next month and have already chosen my seats!
Yep - everything should work out automatically. Especially nice on the international single-class 320s, where the Gold section is basically E+ in terms of pitch.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
Definitely an unpublished benefit, but I have had three different baggage guys at IAD A gates personally bring me my green-tagged bag while they were still unloading. The yellow handle wrap at work.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HKBelonger
Definitely an unpublished benefit, but I have had three different baggage guys at IAD A gates personally bring me my green-tagged bag while they were still unloading. The yellow handle wrap at work.
It's published, just very poorly
I too have always had my yellow handle bag show up first.
I wish it could be the same for the orange priority tag. Around 50% of the time the bags are just in random order.
Last time, my bag didnt show up at all. SEA-SFO-PHL (on the same plane), they left it at SFO. I know sometimes they load them last so they are first off. I wonder if that gives priority bags the lowest priority when there is a weight restriction. That would be the opposite of an unpublished benefit

Last edited by eng3; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I've only used this benefit a couple times. Usually I don't bother arguing with a GA because it usually won't accomplish much and I know the GA is busy especially during IRROPS. I've never had an issue getting UA to reimburse me afterwards though. And that way I get to choose which hotel I stay in. I don't know if there's a limit though.
As for food, it was $7/meal, $21/day though I think this may have gone up. They would not reimburse anything else (ie. rental car)

There was only one occasion where the UA customer service person I spoke to was "mis-informed". I had to get UA Insider to step in. Back then, UA Insider was alot more active on here. I even asked something like "Is this still a benefit" and confirmed "yes".
When I've used this service I go to the UC and have one of the agents assist. Works every time. My experiences have been limited to IAH, IAD and ORD for weather delays/cancellations.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by spearsba
When I've used this service I go to the UC and have one of the agents assist. Works every time. My experiences have been limited to IAH, IAD and ORD for weather delays/cancellations.
Do I have to be a UC member in order to walk in and request help during an IRROP? Since I'm not one, I don't bother walking into a UC for assistance. I only ask for assistance if I'm already inside and something happens.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Do I have to be a UC member in order to walk in and request help during an IRROP? Since I'm not one, I don't bother walking into a UC for assistance. I only ask for assistance if I'm already inside and something happens.
Yes, you must be a member or have some other form of access to enter a UA Club.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
Yes, you must be a member or have some other form of access to enter a UA Club.
Even if it's just asking the front desk agent (the check in one(s)) for IRROP assistance? Not trying to push what's not allowed if it isn't, just asking since I'm curious.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by HKBelonger
Wait, what's this green tagging/yellow handle wrap benefit? This is different than priority tag?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by drew in the air
Wait, what's this green tagging/yellow handle wrap benefit? This is different than priority tag?
Yes, it's a benefit for 1K/GS members. See the following thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...stable-87.html
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Green Tag = UX "carry on" when bags is too big for RJ cabins
Orange Tag = Priority for Elite/*G
Yellow Tag = Bag tag that 1K's get (IIRC with their welcome kit) that will affix to handle/strap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.