Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1K 1.3MM, AA .3MM Should I hedge my bets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold

If I stayed with UA MP, I’ll hit 2MM before I retire. That would give me lifetime Plat.

Alternatively i I could switch to AA and get to 1MM and whatever that provides in lifetime terms.

Im wondering if any of you think I should hedge my bets and switch now or stay put with UA.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
If I stayed with UA MP, I’ll hit 2MM before I retire. That would give me lifetime Plat.

Alternatively i I could switch to AA and get to 1MM and whatever that provides in lifetime terms.
1MM on AA is Lifetime AA Gold -- equivalent to UA Silver. I can't see flying 700K miles on AA just in order to achieve that. Lifetime Platinum isn't a huge upgrade over Gold, so if AA offers other advantages for you, then that's fine. But I wouldn't do it just to have AA Gold status at retirement.
8MiHi and cur like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I agree with jsloan. If you had more than 0.3M, for example 0.8M, then probably yes. But it's not worth it unless there are other reasons to fly AA.

I'm at 1.9M with DL and 0.8M with UA. Should reach 2MM + 1MM in the next few years, but honestly I'm not going out of my way to do this, and will continue to fly AA when the routing or fares are better.
jr0ck likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I’m currently UA 1.5MM and AA 0.3MM, but I gave up 1K for EXP. I figure that I’m content with UA/*A lifetime Gold—at least until (if) the +1 gift status goes away. And if I want Plat, I’ll get it from Chase CC spend.

I am enjoying EXP. Not that AA service is better than others (it’s on par with every domestic carrier, IMO), but I find the different airlines in the OW alliance and lounge access as Emerald to be exciting experiences to look forward to. Meanwhile, I’ll be taking a protracted route to reaching UA 2MM, which is something that I too want to eventually attain.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The lower tiers don't do much these days. I have LT 1K with UA via the CO Infinite program and close to 2M on UA. But I switched to AA about 5 years ago with the whole TOD thing. AA had been great - I am at 1.3+M and plan to go to 2M for LT Plat but that really only gives you MCE seating at ticket time. As EXP my upgrade rate has dropped dramatically with the new sort process, so not sure - might just switch back to UA.

But F fares have dropped so much, it seems like a better deal to just by F domestically, and forget about the status. Status isn't what it used to be.
AceReport likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by cova
But F fares have dropped so much, it seems like a better deal to just by F domestically, and forget about the status. Status isn't what it used to be.
Except from TPA. As a 1K, I'm 100% on TPA-SFO upgrades this year.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Lifetime Platinum isn't a huge upgrade over Gold
While I agree with this statement now, if you're looking for a status tier for the rest of your life, I'd say going for UA Plat over UA Gold is a much better devaluation hedge than going for AA Gold vs UA Gold.

Admittedly, Plat has been devalued now from an award perspective, but I would be worried about significant cuts to Gold in the future (SDC in particular) which I suspect won't hit Plat.

I also think permanent G1 boarding, especially on domestic flights, is a genuine value-add from Plat, as is 9 E+ per flight if you have a family. I'd be surprised if either of those are taken away from Plat in the medium run.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Parker the downgrader sent UA Mr. Kirby

Originally Posted by cova
As EXP my upgrade rate has dropped dramatically with the new sort process, so not sure - might just switch back to UA.
This is reason enough to stay put with UA. Honestly with Parker and Kirby where they are, and DL having nothing to offer me either, I’m likely happier with UA—happier being a greatly diminished and relative term.

Upgrades ES have been farcical lately: and pretty sure that’s intentional. GPU’s don’t clear because capacity is so restricted on TPAC, and domestic is TOD to death hub to hub.

Oh well—thanks everyone for their thoughts and comments!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2017 at 11:33 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Your Chicago base might swing the choice to having MM status on your two hub airlines, but I would go for lifetime UA Plat.

I have MM Gold status on AA and it's been mildly useful the few times I've had IRROPS to an AA flight or AA was a much better fare or time, but really just for a slightly better selection of free seats and priority boarding. Being based in New Jersey, focusing on UA is my only realistic option.

I'll get to 2MM on UA in the near future myself (currently earned 1K), and do see great value when my travel decreases in keeping BG1 and E+ seats for family trips.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:18 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I’m in the camp that feels splitting your loyalties is a mistake. If you take a long run strategy it’s most likely better to maximize lifetime status on a single carrier. No one knows, starting out, how many miles he/she will fly but over time focusing my loyalty with UA has paid real benefits. In my case LT GS, companion status for my wife and LT United Club membership. If I had split my loyalties I would be LT Platinum and companion status for my wife, best case on two Airlines, it’s an easy choice looking backwards, at least to me.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Go for Lifetime Platinum on United. Perpetual Group 1 boarding, and it does separate you from the pack of Golds on UA.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
1MM on AA is Lifetime AA Gold -- equivalent to UA Silver. I can't see flying 700K miles on AA just in order to achieve that. Lifetime Platinum isn't a huge upgrade over Gold, so if AA offers other advantages for you, then that's fine. But I wouldn't do it just to have AA Gold status at retirement.
Will you get to your next MM inchstones within a few weeks?

Otherwise, the safe bet is that both UA and AA will further devalue their MM programs. UA will first drop the spouse benefit, and meet AA's lower bars on everything. Heck. 100k used to get you UA MM. AA still gets you MM credit for some non-AA metal. It's easier, hence the obvious lower value.

And here I am with 0.8 MM in both UA and AA. I've been asking myself how hard should I go for any of it...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:41 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by sfo789
Admittedly, Plat has been devalued now from an award perspective, but I would be worried about significant cuts to Gold in the future (SDC in particular) which I suspect won't hit Plat.

I also think permanent G1 boarding, especially on domestic flights, is a genuine value-add from Plat, as is 9 E+ per flight if you have a family. I'd be surprised if either of those are taken away from Plat in the medium run.
i think 9e+ and zone 1 boarding would be the first to go versus the sdc, which has little cost to ua.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Im wondering if any of you think I should hedge my bets and switch now or stay put with UA.
I vote C - None of the above.

You're too far from a crappy AA status as many others noted. But I also wouldn't try too hard to get the next UA tier. There are a few small advantages in fee waivers and such but the best bang-for-your-buck milestone on UA is 1MM, not a higher level.

Go free agent instead. Buy tickets that are the right price, schedule and service level that you want. Take advantage of the UA status when it works but my guess is long term you'll save time, money and stress by just buying the tickets you want and ignoring the lifetime status implications.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I’m in the camp that feels splitting your loyalties is a mistake. If you take a long run strategy it’s most likely better to maximize lifetime status on a single carrier.
Not sure how many years OP is away from retiring, but my best guess is by the time that comes around, there will have been more airline mergers; more devaluations; 4:4:4 seating on most planes in business; standing up only in economy; the total miles merged from all airlines previously enrolled in will get LT Bronze with its only benefit: free online check-in for one person.
Billiken and username like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.