Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should UA start HI Inter Island Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope...they fly. Special configuration with extra fuel tanks installed in the cabin and the associated permit from the FAA lets it happen.
Agree, even a little Cessna can get a ferry permit to add bladder tanks to make it from the mainland to Hawaii without much issue. I came close to doing it with my 182 many years ago.

I shouldn't say without issue, as there are many things that go into a ferry flight such as this, but my point is it can be done.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Halo117
this is getting off track but...the 717 has a 60,000 flight cycle rating...the 737ng is 75,000...a320 48,000...this is before life extention maintenance.

while casm is higher for short stage length...I can't imagine it is anywhere near $0.45 casm. While HA network average is at $0.112. This could get interesting in the next 2 qtrs wrt fares and hints from other carriers.
That's the rating but when fuselages start opening up mid flight after 30,000 cycles and FAA now requires inspections on the 737 classics after premature cracks on the lap joints then I'm not sure everyone knows everything about actual ratings on high cycle aircraft.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/im....emergency.pdf
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by prestonh
That's the rating but when fuselages start opening up mid flight after 30,000 cycles and FAA now requires inspections on the 737 classics after premature cracks on the lap joints then I'm not sure everyone knows everything about actual ratings on high cycle aircraft.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/im....emergency.pdf
Interestingly, the aircraft in question "had accumulated 39,781 total flight cycles and 48,740 total flight hours." In other words, lots of quick up and downs.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Here are the problems:
1) "Local-ness" of HA. That counts for a lot. How are you going to overcome that? Price? You just killed the incentive for most legacy carriers to enter.
2) Alliances. DL, AA, etc are not going to put their inter-island customers (and don't pretend they don't exist) on a UA inter-island operation if they don't have to, and unless WN changes their model, they won't put 'em on WN. AA, DL, AK, B6, VX don't mind giving them to HA. So, you're down to appealing to local customers and flyers coming/going on other airlines buying separate tickets. Good luck with that model.
3) Schedule. You gonna start up with a schedule that can remotely compete w/ HA? Good luck with that - the cash impairment would be staggering, with zero insurance of climbing out of it with continuing op and financing costs.

The only real competitor HA can have is a well-funded regional jet/turboprop operation not part of a legacy airline that all the airlines will work with. A variety of airlines have tried. And failed.

Tourism from Japan is down BTW - Guam is closer and has become a big draw.
The problems you note are minor compared to the advantages UA brings to the islands:

1. You vastly overestimate the value of HA “local-ness”. UA is as close to being a local airline as any other carrier operating in Hawaii. UA can rightfully claim to be as kama'aina as HA. UA has been flying to its “little corner of the world” for more than 50 years now and UA’s ground staff is as a local as HA’s ground staff. Many local folks are disgusted with what they perceive as HA price gouging by a monopolistic airline including its numerous ancillary charges. At least with UA local people will accumulate miles with their purchase that are far more useful and available for travel on UA extensive route networks and in conjunction with UA’s alliance partners than on HA. Good luck finding the same world-wide seat availability on HA or any of its partners with HA miles.

2. UA has Star Alliance and regional alliances that far surpass anything HA has or ever will.

3. UA’s schedule will never equal the frequency of HA but that is not so a big obstacle since UA won’t compete with HA on schedule. UA leaves HA in the dust with its far-flung network, better res system, and better mileage accrual and redemption program. Try comparing HA’s anemic international and mainland flights next to UA’s.

4. Tourism is down from Japan compared to the halcyon days of the last decades. But China tourism has made up for it and UA’s loads HNL-NRT remain strong. China is not a declining market nor is Korea. The Philippines is also available with the only competition being PAL after HA bailed on this market 2 years ago.

When you say “(t)he only real competitor HA can have is a well-funded regional jet/turboprop operation,” you sound a lot like HA management. No, HA will and should have competition. Not only does it make good economic sense for UA to challenge HA’s monopoly but it is also the right thing to do given the un-American nature of monopolies.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 14, 2017 at 2:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by tj96821
3. UA’s schedule will never equal the frequency of HA but that is not so a big obstacle since UA won’t compete with HA on schedule. UA leaves HA in the dust with its far-flung network, better res system, and better mileage accrual and redemption program. Try comparing HA’s anemic international and mainland flights next to UA’s.
But that's why people will fly UA to the mainland (and I'm pretty sure HA has more, not fewer, flights/routes to the mainland than UA does, with the A321neos launching even more routes starting early next year). No doubt *A and UA's international network are broader than HA's. But that's not really going to overcome frequency opportunities. Plus all of the above comments about the fleet issues that preclude UA in its current setup from making that work.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think all airlines have the same goal to fly from the mainland to Hawaii without making a stop.
Indeed. There's a reason Narita is no longer a bustling hub for UA & DL. Direct flights are preferred whenever possible by most passengers. And UA has multiple hubs capable of serving multiple island destinations.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
The problems you note are minor compared to the advantages UA brings to the islands:

1. You vastly overestimate the value of HA “local-ness”. UA is as close to being a local airline as any other carrier operating in Hawaii. UA can rightfully claim to be as kama'aina as HA. UA has been flying to its “little corner of the world” for more than 50 years now and UA’s ground staff is as a local as HA’s ground staff. Many local folks are disgusted with what they perceive as HA price gouging by a monopolistic airline including its numerous ancillary charges. At least with UA local people will accumulate miles with their purchase that are far more useful and available for travel on UA extensive route networks and in conjunction with UA’s alliance partners than on HA. Good luck finding the same world-wide seat availability on HA or any of its partners with HA miles.
According to United's publication "The Age of Flight", United was contracted by the USA to serve Pacific destinations and Hawaii during WWII starting in 1942 . United's actual first commercial flight to Honolulu was launched by a DC-6 Mainliner on May 1, 1947 - not to mention Pan American's service (which United inherited) that began before the War.

As I said in an earlier post, I also agree with you that United earned its "local" status years ago with many local employees, family, friends, and local frequent flyers who are proud to share Pan Am/United loyalty to the Islands.

Still, I am not sure that United would be wise to launch a big inter Island service for a host of other reasons.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Count myself in the camp that I don't see this happening (at least direct by UA). But I have a question for those advocating UA begin this service:

At absolute BEST what could UA create in revenue (not profit) from this operation?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...The Philippines is also available with the only competition being PAL after HA bailed on this market 2 years ago.

When you say “(t)he only real competitor HA can have is a well-funded regional jet/turboprop operation,” you sound a lot like HA management. No, HA will and should have competition. Not only does it make good economic sense for UA to challenge HA’s monopoly but it is also the right thing to do given the un-American nature of monopolies.
You continually (and inadvertently) present the case against United expanding. HA bailed on Manila from HNL, so UA should get in???? Yes, that make a lot of sense - HA bailed because the money wasn't there, so UA should get in.

"Not only does it make good economic sense for UA to challenge HA’s monopoly" - prove it. Show us the numbers. If it makes economic sense, why haven't AA, DL, UA, WN, whoever set up shop in the last ten years? Explain to us why they all seem to be throwing a huge money-making opportunity away. Why have all the other airlines closed up if it's such a money-maker? Don't tell us UA can do it because UA can afford to lose more.

United would prefer to put it's long-haul plane where it can generate decent revenue from the front cabin. Transpac/Oceania routes to/from Hawaii are not them.

UA should get in "because it's the right thing to do". Seriously? It's United's job to make sure monopolies don't occur? You lost all credibility there.

"Mr. Munoz, we have to enter the Hawaii inter-island market immediately because HA is operating what we think is an un-American monopoly".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 14, 2017 at 9:58 am
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Here's my armchair airline CEO plan:

United should have sent their 747 fleet to the islands instead of the desert. Offer three times a day "Queen of the Skies" service between the major airports. Cake at the gate, inflight mai-tais for everyone, and water cannon salutes after every flight.

Everyone would choose this over those "tired old" HA 717s. And the "cargo in the belly" would ensure profitability.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Halo117
So what i am reading here is that the market can't bear a second carrier (I disagree), but what prevents HA from gouging their current partners or the local market? HA has lobbied against ferry service and it has been proven margins on inter-island are higher than mainland service.
It is in Hawaiian's best interest to fill the seats - you "gouge" and people will simply not buy the tickets - it becomes a point where it just isn't worth it.

The ferry service ending has nothing to do with HA.

A spinoff airline by a major carrier with the right aircraft (not 737 and not prop) "might" make it work.....
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...A spinoff airline by a major carrier with the right aircraft (not 737 and not prop) "might" make it work.....
I don't think a subsidiary of a major airline would be palatable to the others. An AK sub might barely be palatable.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
It is in Hawaiian's best interest to fill the seats - you "gouge" and people will simply not buy the tickets - it becomes a point where it just isn't worth it.

The ferry service ending has nothing to do with HA.

A spinoff airline by a major carrier with the right aircraft (not 737 and not prop) "might" make it work.....
Yep. I bought a HNL-OGG inter-island flight in July for about $100, about 3-5 days before departure. I thought it was reasonable. If it was not, then I would have flown HNL-OGG via SFO or LAX on UA. And I'm always looking for more PQM so I'd do something like that before most other people would.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agreed. I've taken discretionary short trips to Kauai expressly because the fares were so reasonable.

With HA's frequency, they pretty much have to price the seats reasonably. It's basic microeconomics.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, UA 1MM
Lots of entertainment value in this thread - two teams "The Realists" vs. the "Pipe Dreamers" going at it! While the thread in all likelihood will end up being a draw (I mean, seriously, who changes their mind when being presented with facts? ), reality usually has a nasty way of getting the last word...
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by globaltrvlr
Lots of entertainment value in this thread - two teams "The Realists" vs. the "Pipe Dreamers" going at it! While the thread in all likelihood will end up being a draw (I mean, seriously, who changes their mind when being presented with facts? ), reality usually has a nasty way of getting the last word...
i know what u mean...i gave casm and rasm facts and not once was that countered with facts...just dismissed with one respectful example with regards to stage lengths costs but just an example...but who needs facts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.