Wiki Posts
Search

Buying an RPU - BOS-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Buying an RPU - BOS-SFO

Hi,
I'm flying from BOS to SFO in december with my wife, we got cheap economy tickets, and I wanted to ask, is it possible to buy at RPU, to get upgraded to the lay-flat business class?

what are the odds of clearing?
I have a united silver status currently, and should earn my gold half way through the trip.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
First and foremost, buying a RPU is against the rules of your ticket, the mileage Plus program and will possibly get your ticket cancelled, your MP account suspended and generally you have a bad day.

I am almost certain it is against the terms of this forum and website as well.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Besides, BOS-SFO (either way) is very difficult to get upgrades even using an RPU. I've tried 5 times this year as a 1K and have never turned left at the door yet!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
no Can do

Dont think it’s legit to discuss this inside of FT outside of the. Coupon Connection (which you can qualify for with legit activity)—- that being said, if you were to obtain a gift of 2 RPU’s from a GS or 1K high ranking elite, even with your low fare class, unless the flight is lightly loaded, you’ll probably still be in Y.

Upgrades ES are a tough thing these days as UA has strong monetization goals—selling many UG at check in to anyone with a few buck taking these seats.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by omriba
Hi,
I'm flying from BOS to SFO in december with my wife, we got cheap economy tickets, and I wanted to ask, is it possible to buy at RPU, to get upgraded to the lay-flat business class?
You can buy anything on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...d+rpu&_sacat=0

what are the odds of clearing?
No one knows this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Bad idea. I wouldn't do this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Definitely don't buy or attempt to buy. The rule is poorly advertised but the punishment can be extremely severe. However, you can be given an RPU.

Best bet, if you have friends that are Platinum, 1K, GS, then they probably have RPUs. Many 1K, GS, travel primarily international so they will often have extra RPU that go unused every year. Especially later in the year, these people are typically more willing to give away RPUs since they know they wont use them and UA will not extend them. Ask around to one of them if they are willing to give you one. Or more accurately, apply one of their RPUs to your reservation.

The closest thing you can do to buying an RPU would be buying award miles (assuming you dont have enough already) and then applying a mileage award upgrade request. They are prioritized the same as RPUs.

Like others have said, PS flights are impossible to upgrade usually unless they happen to sub in an intl plane with lots of J seats.

Also, you can keep checking online and at the kiosk for upgrade offers, maybe you'll get a TOD offer.

Last edited by eng3; Nov 10, 2017 at 6:40 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:08 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
In older days, United did allow elite customers to purchase some upgrade certificates (so-called 500-mile upgrade certs) through their official channels. It no longer offers these. However, United regularly monitors sites which act as conduits for the sale or barter of upgrades or miles and will take action against buyers (cancelling upgrades or their M+ accounts) or sellers (cancelling their accounts).
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Buy the TOD at booking. Both more legal and much more reliable. Or just buy the $5xx P fare.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I have a united silver status currently, and should earn my gold half way through the trip.
Don't do it. If caught, your tickets will be cancelled, you won't be Silver any more, your miles will be gone. You'll be zero way to Gold, and your account will be closed.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by findark
Buy the TOD at booking. Both more legal and much more reliable. Or just buy the $5xx P fare.
This. Why would you spend money for a (very) poor chance? Just use the money for a P/Z fare.
AceReport likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Even with the RPU in hand you will have a tough time , if any seats are left they would more than likely get bought at the gate before making it to the RPU or CPU bucket

Big risk, buying a RPU, little reward on your segment
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I applied RPUs to SFO-PHL and PHL-SFO every week for 7 months and it cleared twice. This flight isn't even marketed as PS. Good luck with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.