Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Got it through with another agent and then the first agent called back as well and said she also sent it in.
good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
clearly the case. I knew I would not make it with $60k and 290k PQM because I flew too much LH F
If you bought the ticket yourself (and maybe expense to the company later) you should get a PassPlus account which 50K would guarantee GS and that money can be used for LH or NH F.

Originally Posted by SFFLYR1940
just spoke with the premier 1K desk, last day notifications will go out is January 15. FYI.
My premier status page did have the welcome back notification however the premier 1K desk stated that she would be able to see if I was denied GS and it did not yet state I was denied.
wow that’s good to know, I think my UA Metal PQD is slightly higher than yours which means I still have chance...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 2018 at 2:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hdfdisk
If you bought the ticket yourself (and maybe expense to the company later) you should get a PassPlus account which 50K would guarantee GS and that money can be used for LH or NH F.
yeah, that would be nice ... but I can't do that Could have booked more UA metal ... it was my choice and I don't regret it
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Could have booked more UA metal ... it was my choice and I don't regret it
Based on the GPU Success thread, you won the prize last year for best GPU usage. How many LH FCT visits?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by porciuscato
That could be the difference. I qualified with only $39k one year, but I had $51k the previous year.
Just an FYI from the appeal message on My Status:

We've received your request to be considered for United Global Services status in 2018 and are in the process of reviewing your account. To determine our United Global Services invitations, we consider a number of factors — most importantly, your United travel activity over recent years compared to that of our other top flyers.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
If you want help, you'll need to be more specific.

UA PQD last year and this year
UA PQM last year and this year
home airport
Both years I flew 9 round trips to Asia in business class from SFO. Everything on united flights. The only difference is that my airfare was $3k more last year.

Im just trying to find out the best line of contact as it seems pretty questionable that I would get the boot.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Tougher qualification this year.....

I don't know if the final invites have gone out at this point. If they have, this year looks a bit tougher than last. Excluding obvious flukes, last year had 44 invites under $40K. This year, there were only 21 There are a couple of rejections well into the 40K level too.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
yeah, that would be nice ... but I can't do that Could have booked more UA metal ... it was my choice and I don't regret it
+1
Similar situation, but for the last couple of years I have looked into the PassPlus program but didn't pull the trigger on the deal. I always felt like it was just on the cusp of what I spend and from what I understand they are tough about buying other employees/coworkers airfare out of your acccount.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Based on the GPU Success thread, you won the prize last year for best GPU usage. How many LH FCT visits?
7 last year
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Even though I didn't qualify for this year, the GS crew cleared my GPUs for May into PN for my TPAC.... nice. I thought they would see that and make me waitlist for R, which isn't available.

On that note, I should book my other intl and try to clear those upgrades too....... before Jan 31
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA
First timer

GS qualifies first time this year. Silently my status app turned from.1k to GS Jan 4. No call or email.
pqd $66k+
Pqm 256k
Pqs 61.5

Pretty much all UA metal.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rotus12

Both years I flew 9 round trips to Asia in business class from SFO. Everything on united flights. The only difference is that my airfare was $3k more last year.

Im just trying to find out the best line of contact as it seems pretty questionable that I would get the boot.
Well good luck to you. 9 Round trips to Asia in P could be $27k spend on UA metal and I could understand why you wouldn't qualify.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Well good luck to you. 9 Round trips to Asia in P could be $27k spend on UA metal and I could understand why you wouldn't qualify.
no it was in the $40’s for PQD. It’s hard to understand how I could fly virtually the same itineraries as my initial qualification year (The previous years, 2016), plus spend $3k more, and not get invited back.

which is why I am wondering what’s the best way to contact them to challenge the decision.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Rotus12
no it was in the $40’s for PQD. It’s hard to understand how I could fly virtually the same itineraries as my initial qualification year (The previous years, 2016), plus spend $3k more, and not get invited back.
The criteria was increased this year?
Or there were more potential folks in the pool this year?
Or your case last year was a wildcard selection and this year numbers weren't higher enough?

It is clear we do not have the exact criteria UA uses and those on the bubble may not make it due to some unknown / hidden factor.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
good luck!
Officially declined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.