Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by latony
Tried searching but can't find the answer. Can I prepay $50K in United spend and get Global Services? I thought I read that somewhere?

Basically pay up front and burn it down over the year?
Yes. Complimentary GS status comes with a $50,000 deposit to an individual PassPlus account.

The benefits are guaranteed GS, and you don't need to stay on UA metal (thread has more info). However, you must of course spend it only on your own tickets, and anything not spent in 12 months is forfeit, so you have no protection for the unforeseen.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
However, you must of course spend it only on your own tickets, and anything not spent in 12 months is forfeit, so you have no protection for the unforeseen.
I thought I had read in the T&Cs that you could extend the validity of the PassPlus funds (slightly, i.e. a few months) beyond 1 year on payment of a fee -- but, of course, I can't find that now.

(my own travel is far too volatile otherwise I would have found a way to make PP happen a few years ago...)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus GS, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, ITC Platinum
I think you can extend, but of course I would confirm before purchasing!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes see more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
Note you are not restricted to just UA flights --
But how much of the PassPlus spend would count toward 2019 qualification, given it was used to pre-grant status for 2018?"
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
The last couple of years I have not worried about requalifications. Usually high $40k or low $50k, but this year I'm stretching to get to about $41k. Based out of DEN any thoughts on retaining status with a drop like that? What if I stay in the high $30's?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
isn't it about time for somebody to start the 2018 GS Qualification thread?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
isn't it about time for somebody to start the 2018 GS Qualification thread?
Wouldn't that mainly be useful in December when the re-invites start going out?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by cmhua777
Questions for the crystal ball readers:

I moved to a UA hub in the US (MP address is in Canada) and have been trying to fly the bulk of my routes on UA in order to get GS. I am trading off the better experience of flying more luxurious carriers in order to improve my domestic and personal international travel upgrade chances.

Flying UA exclusively has proven tricky for two reasons:
  1. My company has negotiated rates on virtually all the routes I take. That means I either can’t take UA because another carrier is giving us the best price or that I can take UA, but the price is discounted (hurting GS qualification).
  2. Even when flying UA, most of my destinations involve a connection to another * carrier. That revenue is part of my 016 ticket, though some believe that only UA metal counts towards GS.

Despite these challenges, I will finish the year with the following stats. It’s possible the numbers go up slightly to reflect more domestic travel, but my international trips – both finished and booked – are captured.

Total Spend: $58.5k
UA Metal: $48.5k
BIS: 175k
Intl: 2 in P, 3 in Z, 5 in C/D, 1 in A
Domestic: 25% Y/B/M, 25% in E/U, 50% in the cheaper classes

I suspect my total spend is good, though I don’t know about my UA spend. Also don’t know if UA is going to think I am a hub dweller or not. Thoughts? Worth it to try and get to >$50k on UA?
As many have said UA cares not about the total just UA metal $
The GS qualification number may have been a moving feast in the past two years as the population seems to have exploded.This could just reflect the stronger economy, I am more inclined to think that the bar has been lowered to attract more 1ks who were splitting business between US carriers. I have no data to support the point but >$50k might get you over a filter in the algorithm.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus GS, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, ITC Platinum
"But how much of the PassPlus spend would count toward 2019 qualification, given it was used to pre-grant status for 2018?"

I don't believe any remaining value counts towards future GS qualification.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:14 pm

What do you think my odds of making GS for next year are? My end of year stats should shake out something like this:

based in LAX

PQM ~220,000
Total spend ~$49k but only about $15k on UA (most of my miles have come from international first and business on lufthansa)
About half of my travel is domestic, half international.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
What do you think my odds of making GS for next year are? My end of year stats should shake out something like this:

based in LAX

PQM ~220,000
Total spend ~$49k but only about $15k on UA (most of my miles have come from international first and business on lufthansa)
.25%, not to be confused with 25%
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
.25%, not to be confused with 25%
I'll take the under.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

based in LAX

PQM ~220,000
About the same as someone who never stepped foot on a United airplane

ONLY UA metal spend counts.....
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cmhua777
Questions for the crystal ball readers:

Total Spend: $58.5k
UA Metal: $48.5k
BIS: 175k
Intl: 2 in P, 3 in Z, 5 in C/D, 1 in A
Domestic: 25% Y/B/M, 25% in E/U, 50% in the cheaper classes

I suspect my total spend is good, though I don’t know about my UA spend. Also don’t know if UA is going to think I am a hub dweller or not. Thoughts? Worth it to try and get to >$50k on UA?
My strong advice: don't risk it!!! I would book a weekend trip to Hawaii for $2k or something, just to get over that $50k mark on UA. There's no real evidence that there is a $50k mark, but I wouldn't risk it given that you are so close. I did $42k one year and didn't get GS.

based in LAX

PQM ~220,000
Zero chance. Sorry bud. Switch those Lufthy flights for UA next year and you would have a great chance at getting GS at ~$50k.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2017 at 7:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
New to GS this year (2017), has it been established whether requalification is easier than qualifying the first time?

Will have better stats than last year (should finish with ~$49k UA PQD, ~100k BIS miles, ~180k PQM, out of ORD), but still not quite up there with the heavy hitters on here .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.