Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shaunco
Understood (thus the reference to my two coworkers at $36k and 37k last year). I am also at $40k flown + $18k booked for 2017. $58k on UA metal seems like a safe amount for LAX initial qualification, which is why I'm now looking at AA and DL.
I'm roughly in the same boat: I'm hoping for a GS qualification 2018, with some spend on OW carriers credited to AA. Ask yourself why you want AA or DL. If UA/*A takes you everywhere you need to go, then I'd stick with UA.

In my case, I need diversity for flying to Asia from SYD. In practice, I fly mostly C and PE, so I don't use a lot of status benefits. It's somewhat painful to work my way back up to AA Exec Platinum, even though I matched 1K to AA Platinum (OW Sapphire). AA Exec Plat would give me first class lounge access. I almost never fly AA, so the certs won't mean much to me either. OW status will be convenient for domestic Australia travel on QF.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Originally Posted by shaunco
Understood (thus the reference to my two coworkers at $36k and 37k last year).
Given you have GS coworkers, you might want to ask your travel folks whether they have any input into the process. Companies that spend a lot with UA may get to have some input on borderline cases among their top travelers.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TopRightCorner
...with 30k in UA spend...
Unfortunately, that doesn't even get a toe in the door. You almost have to double it.

I'm contently resigned to being a perennial 1K with my Moscow Mule and Cheeseburger in coach.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Gotcha. How did her CPM compare to my projected final number of .35PM? As I mentioned earlier this was all, with the exception of 3 flights, up front. About 60% A fares, 30% P fares and a mix of the rest.
IIRC, a bit higher than yours, as she did several TATL and TPAC flights in paid BF.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Unfortunately, that doesn't even get a toe in the door. You almost have to double it.

I'm contently resigned to being a perennial 1K with my Moscow Mule and Cheeseburger in coach.
It could be worse!

Yeah, I get full fare business through my work several times a year for International flights but the rest of the time, I'm maximizing how many PQMs I'm getting while flying the cheapest flights. I'm now getting way too many miles as compared to PQD that for a while I was worried about hitting the 12k spend back for 1k because my flights have been efficient. That's changed now with some 2nd half of the year trips but still..
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
Originally Posted by theise
Given you have GS coworkers, you might want to ask your travel folks whether they have any input into the process. Companies that spend a lot with UA may get to have some input on borderline cases among their top travelers.
Very interesting. Company of >100K people, UA is our preferred carrier. I'll give that a try.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Does the spread sheet have both the successful qualifiers and the denials? How can you tell them apart?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Does the spread sheet have both the successful qualifiers and the denials? How can you tell them apart?
Just successful qualifiers. We only received about 8 denial submissions so I didn't bother adding them to the sheet.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
apologies if this is a question that has been asked many times before and hopefully I am in the right thread. I just qualified as 1K for the first time over the weekend. I was previously EXP with AA and decided to finally make this switch for 2017. So almost 7 months in I am already qualified. My spend is over $32k for this year and I anticipate being $45-50k by year end. Would this likely be enough to qualify? (SFO is my hub). Also does United every grant people GS in the middle of the year? this happened to me when I was EXP with AA and I was offered Concierge Key quite randomly in May one time which is why I was curious. Thank you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2017 at 10:59 am Reason: moved to the GS qualification thread
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by almostfrench0612
apologies if this is a question that has been asked many times before and hopefully I am in the right thread. I just qualified as 1K for the first time over the weekend. I was previously EXP with AA and decided to finally make this switch for 2017. So almost 7 months in I am already qualified. My spend is over $32k for this year and I anticipate being $45-50k by year end. Would this likely be enough to qualify? (SFO is my hub). Also does United every grant people GS in the middle of the year? this happened to me when I was EXP with AA and I was offered Concierge Key quite randomly in May one time which is why I was curious. Thank you.
You might get it at end of year, no way a mid-year for that spend.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2017 at 10:59 am Reason: cleanup after move; thanks for the link
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by almostfrench0612
Consensus seems to be that the likelihood of getting GS increases a lot as you approach/pass $50K. Note that the only PQDs that count towards GS are for flights on United aircraft, and UA has stated that they also consider whether full fare Y or premium cabin fares are being purchased.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I also understand that PQD's can be earned on non-United Star Alliance flights so long as issued ticket begins with "016"
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
I also understand that PQD's can be earned on non-United Star Alliance flights so long as issued ticket begins with "016"
But the understanding is only UA-operated PQDs are used for GS qualification. Partner PQDs (on 016 tickets) are not included in the GS qualification process.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But the understanding is only UA-operated PQDs are used for GS qualification. Partner PQDs (on 016 tickets) are not included in the GS qualification process.
Yes. That is the accepted understanding but I am not 100% convinced. Can anyone say why UA would make this exception and then list the PQD's earned on such flights in the MP statements but then back those PQD's out when assessing GS qualification? It seems logical that UA would want its customers to book the "016" flights through UA as a portion of those dollars stays with UA, no? Not all that important as the "016" PQD's are not a lot but am trying to kill some time here at TXL
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by manstein58
Yes. That is the accepted understanding but I am not 100% convinced. Can anyone say why UA would make this exception and then list the PQD's earned on such flights in the MP statements but then back those PQD's out when assessing GS qualification? It seems logical that UA would want its customers to book the "016" flights through UA as a portion of those dollars stays with UA, no? Not all that important as the "016" PQD's are not a lot but am trying to kill some time here at TXL
Why are you not convinced by this basic fact that has been confirmed numerous times by United itself? It actually is NOT logical that United would award GS for non-UA activity. Here's why;

All GS benefits apply only if you are traveling on United. Imagine that you flew only LH (besides the 4 segment minimum). What would you get out of being GS vs 1K when traveling LH? IRROPS help? Nope, that's up to the operating carrier. No preboarding. Can't open special inventory on their flights. You could waltz through a GS checkin lounge but you can't actually check in at them. You don't get access to GF lounges when in biz.

Yes it's extreme to say one would fly only the partners but it helps to explain why UA doesn't count them. The point of GS is to treat a certain portion of UA flyers better. And not only has the collective experience of this community confirmed this but United has repeatedly stated it.

in point of fact, it is so extreme that even if you are originally BOOKED on UA but moved onto a partner during IRROPS, that flight will no longer count toward GS. I found this out when I wrote GS last year asking if it would - they said they would make a note to include this for consideration should I be borderline because the system does not count it automatically.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.