Paid mixed cabin ticket waitlist?

Old Nov 7, 17, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Paid mixed cabin ticket waitlist?

I paid for PEK-SFO-ORD (not award). PEK-SFO is in P but SFO-ORD has F0 so I am booked in Y (full fare?). This flight has the best timing -- I don't want to spend another 11 hours in SFO just to sit in F for 4 hours.

Given I am booked in Y as P is sold out, any chance I will be put on the upgrade list in case someone in F misses the flight? (I have no status).
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiangning View Post
Given I am booked in Y as P is sold out, any chance I will be put on the upgrade list in case someone in F misses the flight? (I have no status).
It's not automatic, but if you are booked on a P through fare to ORD (which is likely the case, since I'd be surprised if you could combine a PEK-SFO P fare with an SFO-ORD Y fare, and it'd be very expensive if you could), you should be able to waitlist for a P fare on SFO-ORD. A United agent should be able to do this, although it may take a couple of tries before you get someone who understands the situation. If your waitlist request doesn't clear, it should carry over to the gate list. Exactly where you'd be on that list, I wouldn't care to guess.
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
It's not automatic, but if you are booked on a P through fare to ORD (which is likely the case, since I'd be surprised if you could combine a PEK-SFO P fare with an SFO-ORD Y fare, and it'd be very expensive if you could), you should be able to waitlist for a P fare on SFO-ORD. A United agent should be able to do this, although it may take a couple of tries before you get someone who understands the situation. If your waitlist request doesn't clear, it should carry over to the gate list. Exactly where you'd be on that list, I wouldn't care to guess.
Yes, I believe it is a through fare in P. It is the same price as P all the way to the end, but booked in Y instead.
I'm not sure how the system will prioritize between Y with no status and a discounted fare GS.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I believe it is a through fare in P. It is the same price as P all the way to the end, but booked in Y instead.
I'm not sure how the system will prioritize between Y with no status and a discounted fare GS.
I agree, it looks like a through fare, so you should be able to waitlist for P since you've paid for it. This isn't something that UA agents do frequently, especially on a revenue fare and on the non-premier line.

Prior to the gate, you should be ahead of anyone who's waitlisted for an upgrade, and behind anyone who's waitlisted for a higher fare class (e.g., someone with a Z fare who's sitting in Y). At the gate, I'm not sure we have enough data to know. I could speculate, and I'm sure some other people will, but my best advice is to assume you'll be in Y for that flight, and that way if you end up in F, it'll be a pleasant surprise.
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, very likely a through fare.

The words you want are "waitlist for P class", and this is something an agent should be able to do for you. (It should look exactly like an IN or R class waitlist, but with "P class requested"). This would add you to the upgrade standby list at check-in, and it *should* carry a priority higher than any upgrade on the flight (as jsloan noted - behind anyone waitlisting for Z or higher, which is probably no one). If done correctly, you should have a decent chance of getting a seat in F assuming any become available at the gate.
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Yes, very likely a through fare.

The words you want are "waitlist for P class", and this is something an agent should be able to do for you. (It should look exactly like an IN or R class waitlist, but with "P class requested"). This would add you to the upgrade standby list at check-in, and it *should* carry a priority higher than any upgrade on the flight (as jsloan noted - behind anyone waitlisting for Z or higher, which is probably no one). If done correctly, you should have a decent chance of getting a seat in F assuming any become available at the gate.
correct, the OP can ask to have 'P class requested', this works very well. What I cannot agree with is the 'on top of the waitlist' at the airport. The 'displaced premium pax' thing has never worked for me ever. You'll have to usually fight at the airport to be put on the priority list, which is not an easy to think to do in my experience.
Old Nov 7, 17, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
correct, the OP can ask to have 'P class requested', this works very well. What I cannot agree with is the 'on top of the waitlist' at the airport. The 'displaced premium pax' thing has never worked for me ever. You'll have to usually fight at the airport to be put on the priority list, which is not an easy to think to do in my experience.
My recent experience (and this has been debated in the award waitlist thread) is that the waitlist will be automatically converted to an upgrade standby list position ~10 minutes before checkin opens for the first departure on the segment(s) with the waitlist (using break-in-travel or ticket break, whichever is first).

The auto-add should assign you an SSR code based on the requested class - requesting P should have priority over PN, R, IN, and I. Note this is not "PR-1" status, and that in the case of a waitlisted IN award, it will not prioritize over GPUs.
Old Nov 7, 17, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
My recent experience (and this has been debated in the award waitlist thread) is that the waitlist will be automatically converted to an upgrade standby list position ~10 minutes before checkin opens for the first departure on the segment(s) with the waitlist (using break-in-travel or ticket break, whichever is first).

The auto-add should assign you an SSR code based on the requested class - requesting P should have priority over PN, R, IN, and I. Note this is not "PR-1" status, and that in the case of a waitlisted IN award, it will not prioritize over GPUs.
that is interesting and must be new. Last time in March I had to fight quite a bit to get the last F seat ...
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

called 1K line, the agent said they don't keep a waitlist. I have to call to change tkt when P is available.
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:29 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
called 1K line, the agent said they don't keep a waitlist. I have to call to change tkt when P is available.
Call again until you strike an agent who will be knowledgeable enough to put you on the waiting list.
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Update: Called three times.
1. said waitlist is not possible, call back when I see P available.
2. said used to be possible, but not now. She checked with support team and successfully waitlisted it.

Then I went online and saw "R requested", called back again.
3. changed R to P, FINALLY.

I didn't expect this to be this hard, given the number of people requesting for award waitlist. Anyway, thank you guys for helping out!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I didn't expect this to be this hard, given the number of people requesting for award waitlist.
Really really typical. Good job hanging in there to get it done.
Old Nov 8, 17, 12:18 am

I didn't expect this to be this hard, given the number of people requesting for award waitlist. Anyway, thank you guys for helping out!
Nice! Fwiw, it seems to be about as difficult to get the I class waitlist done also.
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Because you aren't a UA elite I'm going to guess the answer to this is no, but do you have a subscription to ExpertFlyer? If so, get on there and set an alert for "P" on that flight now. Do it and you won't have to check United.com expert mode every few hours to see if "P" opens up.

Several on here warned you it would take a few calls to get this to work. Glad you persevered. Question is..how did you call the 1K line if you have no status? If you dialed that number and used your FF# then you were transferred to a regular agent. Maybe you called from a friend's phone who is 1K and it recognized the number?

If you don't clear in advance and wind up waiting for a first class seat at the airport it's truly anyone's guess where you will wind up on the airport upgrade list. It can be anywhere from #1 (your rightful place assuming you are the only displaced F passenger) to not appearing on the list at all since your waitlist for "P" will have expired and you have no elite status with UA. I'm more hopeful "P" will open up for you before the flight. I have more confidence in UA's system to clear you automatically into "P" if the class opens up than I do them adding you to the airport upgrade list in the correct order, or even at all.

Let us know how this unfolds up until the flight.

-RM
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:36 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Nice! Fwiw, it seems to be about as difficult to get the I class waitlist done also.
These days at least if you're waitlisted it does transfer over to the airport list IME but the priority is not quite what one would want. When I did it a few months ago there still seemed to be people leapfrogging me. I don't mind this for a connector I would never want to rely on it for an overwater segment. Though at least then in theory you can get the difference in miles back.

Search this Thread