Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning miles on non-*A operated *A codeshared flights [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In the Star Alliance system, miles are earned based on the flight operator (not the marketing / codeshare flight number). This is different from some other alliances -- such as Oneworld.

So, an *A carrier codeshare on a non-*A operated flight does not earn miles (unless there is some other side agreement).

UA states

The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.
related thread Earning miles on *A codeshare flight operated by another *A partner (Neither UA)
Print Wikipost

Earning miles on non-*A operated *A codeshared flights [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Asiamiles
Earning miles on non-*A operated code-sharing flights

I'm planning to book fights on Air New Zealand with part of the journey operated on code-sharing flights with Cathay Pacific. Would I be able to earn mileage on United MileagePlus and also miles for status recognition? Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HK Fly Travel
I'm planning to book fights on Air New Zealand with part of the journey operated on code-sharing flights with Cathay Pacific. Would I be able to earn mileage on United MileagePlus and also miles for status recognition? Thanks!
No. You can credit them to a Cathay partner, such as American, but you will not earn MileagePlus miles for them, even though it's an NZ codeshare. Operating carrier is what's important.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
As mentioned by JSLOAN you will earn 0 to MP. Same is true when the UA website will sell and ticket you CX or JetStar flights as well.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm planning to book fights on Air New Zealand with part of the journey operated on code-sharing flights with Cathay Pacific. ....
Only *A operated flights are eligible for PQM earning, the flight number does not matter.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
to be clear, UA (and *A, really) credits miles based on operating carrier and fare class. The more detailed answer is any segments flown on Cathay are ineligible for mileage credit through MP. However, any segments operated by NZ would be eligible for accrual through MP, of course, subject to the earning chart and you’ve booked a NZ fare class that actually provides mileage. Elite benefits should be available on the NZ-operated portion, and you’d get *G bag benefits if you check in with NZ (I.e., if they operate the first flight).
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:06 pm

Points on LH Non *A Code Shares

Hey FTers,

I'll be flying to AUH next month on LH ticket (YYZ to FRA then on to AUH). The YYZ -> FRA leg is operated by LH whereas the FRA -> AUH leg is a codeshare operated by Etihad. The entire ticket was issued by LH.

Will I be earning PQMs on the FRA -> AUH segment given I'm travelling on LH stock?

Thanks in advance,

James
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Will I be earning PQMs on the FRA -> AUH segment given I'm travelling on LH stock?
No. Under Star Alliance (and MileagePlus) rules, only the operating carrier matters. You can credit the Etihad flight to one of their partners, but not to UA.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. Under Star Alliance (and MileagePlus) rules, only the operating carrier matters. You can credit the Etihad flight to one of their partners, but not to UA.
I don't think this is a *A issue, per se, because UA also credits for non-*A partners such as Aer Lingus.

That said, Ethiad does not qualify under either case.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/marketing/custcomm/promotions/Pages/AirlinePartners.aspx
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garkster
I don't think this is a *A issue, per se, because UA also credits for non-*A partners such as Aer Lingus.

That said, Ethiad does not qualify under either case.
OK, fair. MileagePlus credits miles based upon the operating carrier. The operating carrier doesn't have to be in *A, but it does have to be a MileagePlus partner. As it happens, this is the same way *A works in general -- the earnings are always based upon the operating carrier, regardless of the marketing carrier (codeshare / flight number).

A hypothetical LH flight operated by EI would be eligible for MP credit because it's operated by EI. LH operated by EK is not.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA
earn miles on Star partner codeshare but none aliance metal

Hi,
If I book a flight with TAP and it's operated by EL-AL do I earn PQMs on United?
Thanks,
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No. Only *A operated flights will earn.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Earning on SA-coded EK flights?

Can't find a clear answer online or in the terms and conditions. Will I earn miles per the SA rate for an SA-coded EK flight?
Old May 16, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No. Earnings across *A are based on metal (the operating carrier).
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:56 am

Am I not supposed to get miles for flying Swiss code-share flight on Cathay Pacific?

I am on a Swiss-issued ticket on a Swiss code-share flight that's operated by Cathay Pacific metal.

Am I not supposed to get UA miles for such flights? (EQM and/or RDM)

That's what I was told when I called UA premier desk... but I can't seem to find anything on UA's website that mentions mile-earning rule for such flights?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
No you don't earn anything on that flight.

From https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html

The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.
In your instance, the operating carrier is CX.

Last edited by onthesam; Aug 11, 2019 at 9:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.