ticket got cancelled during travel

Old Nov 5, 17, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

ticket got cancelled during travel

All,

I would like to see your opinion....

After flying for years as United 1K, a very strange incident happened to me this past weekend....

I was on a confirmed business class ticket this past Saturday YVR --> SFO --> PVG. The segment from YVG to SFO was on AC metal, hence I received my boarding pass on AC stock paper for both segments. Everything went well and I stayed in the United Club in SFO until an hour before departure. Then problem started as I was ready to board my PVG flight, I was "denied". Talking to the gate agent, they claimed that my ticket was "cancelled" by Air Canada. Although I had my ticket number (016) and confirmed boarding pass on my app (and paper-based), they couldn't get me on as there were no seat. After struggling to find me options, they finally routed me to LAX later that evening, and put me on an 1:30pm flight to PVG. I eventurally arrived almost 23 hours later than the original scheduled time, and my entire weekend was gone.

Does any one know what compensation I may ask for? Any DOT rule number I can cite to strengthen my case? My complaint is not directed at the gate agent as she was quite helpful. I just couldn't understand how my ticket was "cancelled" at the last segment of a round-trip ticket.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was the reason for the cancellation due to an honest computer mistake or a single bad employee? What upset me more was that on my LAX -->PVG flight, they were asked for volunteer in exchange of $2000 travel vocher (which they didn't do on my SFO flight).

Thanks, Ben
Old Nov 5, 17, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bwong99 View Post
Does any one know what compensation I may ask for?
Until you know the facts, I'd say nothing. Don't go on a fishing expedition with no gear.
Old Nov 5, 17, 9:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
There are a couple of reasons for this happening, a common reason is your BP on the AC flight was not properly read by the gate reader and you were not registered boarding. Therefore the system saw you as a "no show" and canceled all subsequent flights.

This happens occasionally but if noticed soon enough, the downline ticket can be recovered. In this case, the flight was full (someone else got you space) by the time it was noticed and the ticket could not be restored.

Compensation -- from UA -- no. You no longer had a valid ticket and UA acted properly.
DOT rules specifically requires you have a valid ticket for making a claim of denied boarding, and appears you did not have a valid ticket at time of departure since it was "canceled" by AC.

If anyone is at fault, it would be AC. But good luck on that.
Old Nov 5, 17, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Ok....let's assume my BP was not scanned properly (which I doubt), how would you advise me to proceed? Or is this just one of those situations which really nothing I could have done? How can I even prevent this going forward?
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Ok....let's assume my BP was not scanned properly (which I doubt), how would you advise me to proceed? Or is this just one of those situations which really nothing I could have done? How can I even prevent this going forward?
Out of curiosity, was anything abnormal on your YVR-SFO flight? Issue at boarding with agent saying he/she would take care of it afterwards? Did you switch seats with anyone during boarding? Seems silly I know, but I would certainly like to know and possibly learn from this.
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
You said you sat in the United Club at SFO. Did the agent there scan your SFO-PVG boarding Pass for access? Asking because the club agent should have recognized that something was wrong with your ticket.
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Ok....let's assume my BP was not scanned properly (which I doubt), how would you advise me to proceed? ....
You could try calling AC and finding out what happened? Did they record you as a "No show"?

While these incidents are rare they do happen, see UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!! .
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
One test will be if the miles post for the AC flight. If they have, then clearly the systems show you as on the flight. If they don’t/haven’t, then it’s suggesting that’s where the problem lies.
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
You said you sat in the United Club at SFO. Did the agent there scan your SFO-PVG boarding Pass for access? Asking because the club agent should have recognized that something was wrong with your ticket.
I don't think this is the case as it doesn't check the validity of your itinerary, only for the flag of whether if you qualify for club access. It's how someone like this was able to hack the system and get in on any lounge they wanted.

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/fake-b...rline-lounges/
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Yes, my ticket was scanned at the United club with no issue.

Yes, I was just posted with the mileage on my YVR-SFO segment.

no, nothing strange as I board in Vancouver.

any other suggestion?
Old Nov 5, 17, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
Hi everyone,

Yes, my ticket was scanned at the United club with no issue.

Yes, I was just posted with the mileage on my YVR-SFO segment.

no, nothing strange as I board in Vancouver.

any other suggestion?
Reach out to AC and see if they have any answers...
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:12 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Did anything happen to your first flight (YVR-SFO) that would have required a reissue of the ticket? Change to an earlier/later flight perhaps?

I haven't had personal experience but similar similar cases I've read about and answered questions about happened when the pax was rebooked but the ticket wasn't reissued/updated. So the downline airline (in this case UA) read you as not having taken the flight on the (original) ticket. The most common occurrence is IRROPS when an agent rebooks you then moves onto the next pax without doing the reissue, but it could potentially be something more trivial.
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Good point...I was moved ip to an earlier flight and I have a new email from United confirming the change.
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Compensation -- from UA -- no. You no longer had a valid ticket and UA acted properly.
DOT rules specifically requires you have a valid ticket for making a claim of denied boarding, and appears you did not have a valid ticket at time of departure since it was "canceled" by AC.
OP had a valid ticket.
What happens with the systems between AC and UA is not the concern of the OP.

OP should file a DOT complaint attaching his e-ticket printout (and copies of the paper boarding passes).
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:47 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Good point...I was moved ip to an earlier flight and I have a new email from United confirming the change.
That could be it. Did you check your reservation on united.com? It may have had bold red text at the top saying please call United reservations to reissue the ticket. That happens frequently to me when upgrades clear (including today for tomorrow's fight). Ultimately they'll reissue the ticket "automatically" but if it's short notice they may not have got around to it.

It's not your fault if you didn't check as that should happen and flow through the system. Looks to me like a SHARES shortcoming.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: