Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NZ PE with 150% PQM is the same price as UA W Econ but just 100% PQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

I will be close to 150k PQMs for the year and I want to ensure I receive my two additional GPUs (as I have been able to use all my GPUs this year as my last one took this morning).

If I were to UG my NZ ticket from Premium Economy to Business I would make the PQM of 150K for 2017 as the PQM goes from 150% to 200% for the fare class.

So I thought I would look to change the ticket to 016 (UA) ticket stock if this would increase the PQM to find that Premium Economy on UA only gets 100% for the PQM, i.e. lower PQM on an 016 ticket vs 150% on the NZ ticket.

I had originally booked this ticket on UA as LAX-SYD in W but the GPU did not take so I switched to NZ (LAX-AKL-SYD) in Premium Economy because if I was not going to get the UG then Premium Economy on NZ is a far superior product to E+ on UA, but had not realized the significant benefit to my PQM!

I had not realized there was this difference in PQMs on non-016 tickets.

It may be that I am fairly unique in that I will make PQD so 016 ticket is not important and I also am fairly indifferent on the miles (11 x multiplier does not apply on 016 tickets).

Am I missing something in this analysis for the PQMs?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sorry, I not following this

The PQM earning for the same seat on a given operating carrier is the same regardless of how it is booked (016 ticket stock or not). If we talk about different seats on different carriers, yes there are differences.

There is only one PQM chart for NZ crediting to UA MP.

Additionally, the comment of Premium Economy of UA has me confused as UA does not have Premium Economy. Premium Economy on NZ is a different cabin and has unique mileage earning.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
If I were to UG my NZ ticket from Premium Economy to Business I would make the PQM of 150K for 2017 as the PQM goes from 150% to 200% for the fare class.

So I thought I would look to change the ticket to 016 (UA) ticket stock if this would increase the PQM to find that Premium Economy on UA only gets 100% for the PQM, i.e. lower PQM on an 016 ticket vs 150% on the NZ ticket.

I had originally booked this ticket on UA as LAX-SYD in W but the GPU did not take so I switched to NZ (LAX-AKL-SYD) in Premium Economy because if I was not going to get the UG then Premium Economy on NZ is a far superior product to E+ on UA, but had not realized the significant benefit to my PQM!

I had not realized there was this difference in PQMs on non-016 tickets.
Agree with WineCountryUA that I don't quite follow you.

Any flight in paid NZ PE (regardless of ticket stock or fare class) will earn 150% of the distance as PQM. Any flight in paid NZ J earns 200% PQM, except with b/c C, which is 300%. Again, regardless of ticket stock.

As mentioned, changing ticket stock has no effect on PQM (only PQD and RDM).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sorry, I not following this

The PQM earning for the same seat on a given operating carrier is the same regardless of how it is booked (016 ticket stock or not). If we talk about different seats on different carriers, yes there are differences.

There is only one PQM chart for NZ crediting to UA MP.

Additionally, the comment of Premium Economy of UA has me confused as UA does not have Premium Economy. Premium Economy on NZ is a different cabin and has unique mileage earning.
Originally Posted by findark
Agree with WineCountryUA that I don't quite follow you.

Any flight in paid NZ PE (regardless of ticket stock or fare class) will earn 150% of the distance as PQM. Any flight in paid NZ J earns 200% PQM, except with b/c C, which is 300%. Again, regardless of ticket stock.

As mentioned, changing ticket stock has no effect on PQM (only PQD and RDM).
Sorry not meaning to be confusing, I just had not realized I would earn more PQM on PE on NZ than W on UA. The cost was fairly similar.

So you have taught me something that 016 stock does not benefit PQM. Thank you.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Translation: $$ spent does not correlate to PQM. PQM is only calculated by fare class, carrier and distance flown.

eg a $500 mistake J fare may get way more PQM than a $900 K fare on the same route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.