Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1k, how close were you when you reached 1k?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:07 am
Original Poster

just curious when you guys reached 1k, how close are you to actual 100,000 PQM?
I was at 100,038, just 38miles above the bar... I guess I planned my flights well lol
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Just hit it this week for the first time! 101,655 PQM
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: None anymore
The first year I qualified I barely made it on the last flight of the year, December 28 land Dec 29 - I ended up with 106K since it was a long haul but without any of the flights I took I wouldn't have made it!

The past two years I've qualified sooner and end the year with more miles.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingwasabi
just curious when you guys reached 1k, how close are you to actual 100,000 PQM?
I was at 100,038, just 38miles above the bar... I guess I planned my flights well lol
Not quite what you asked, but I qualified by $166 PQD -- and that was only after I decided to take about a $120 upfare in order to do an SDC on one of my last flights of the year. I had originally targeted about $12040.

(And that was for the full year. I suppose I actually qualified at $12073, on my next-to-last flight of the year.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
The first year I was 1K, I was very close like you all are mentioning. This year, I was worried about it, but then ended up with the PQ[X] done by summer.

I've been continuing to fly UA, but a colleague busted out his LH Miles and More to get us into a lounge in the states recently and said "why do you add miles to UA after 100K??"

So my plan next year is to book the 1K, then switch to something else (like LG Miles and More) so I can get some access to lounges during domestic flights (most of my travel is internaational).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by bballdad175
I've been continuing to fly UA, but a colleague busted out his LH Miles and More to get us into a lounge in the states recently and said "why do you add miles to UA after 100K??"
Because you get

2 RPU at 125K
2 RPU and 2 GPU at 150K
2 RPU at 175K
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
Because you get

2 RPU at 125K
2 RPU and 2 GPU at 150K
2 RPU at 175K
Not to mention, the benefits of your 1K status (additional RDMs, possible CPUs, IRROPS protection, etc.). And if you're going to go for another program to get *G, Miles & More is a terrible choice, as I believe you need 100K PQM to do so. Consider A3, OZ, or possibly SQ if you happen to fly them quite a bit.

But, also keep in mind that you're going to end up with some of your RDMs being dumped into programs where you probably don't accumulate them as quickly.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
My first year as 1K: 100,160

Last few years I have tried to give myself a 1000 mile buffer at the minimum, the paid J getting 200%EQM on AC/LH has helped me a ton!!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not to mention, the benefits of your 1K status (additional RDMs, possible CPUs, IRROPS protection, etc.).
This. Why earn 1K if you're not going to use the benefits?

Originally Posted by jsloan
And if you're going to go for another program to get *G, Miles & More is a terrible choice, as I believe you need 100K PQM to do so. Consider A3, OZ, or possibly SQ if you happen to fly them quite a bit.

But, also keep in mind that you're going to end up with some of your RDMs being dumped into programs where you probably don't accumulate them as quickly.
Even worse - SEN is between 200k and 400k BIS miles if flying on discount Economy fares (Q or lower). It was only a steal back in the days that UA sold short-scale routes where K/UPDI booked into A and earned 3x distance on LH.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I normally sneak over the line late in December. His year in October sitting at 99467 PQM I started a 45.5K run. So my end of year MR is for the extra RPUs. What’s another 1K BIS?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Back in I think 2011, i had fallen all the way back down to GM, and had to climb the ladder again a couple days after the computer merger. I think that was in April. My first flight was that week and I got to about 30 miles over 1k a couple of days before christmas. Then suddenly had 4 or 5 flights emerge from thin air between xmas and new years. I remember being very happy that I had barely made it and I was done for the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.