Wiki Posts
Search

Another TOD upgrade whoopsie

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Another TOD upgrade whoopsie

This is even better than the offer I had a week ago at check-in for $199 to upgrade ORD-SFO for $199 but $439 to upgrade JAX-ORD.

I just booked a $200 one-way in coach from JAX-LAS in April. The First Class fare would have been $900. But when I finished the booking I was given the chance to upgrade the two segments for $1099 each, which would have given me a fare of $3100 to fly JAX-LAS instead of the original F fare of $900. What a deal
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:18 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I think we have a thread somewhere about the weird upfare pricing.

I've had it before where I booked a P fare to Europe (WAS-CDG was one I recall in particular, for $1500 or so), and at the time, UA was also selling 3-cabin F (via an A fare, IIRC, at $4500 or so)... and yet they tried to upsell me to F for the low, low price of $10k (each way--but they offered to "discount" it like $200 if I booked both legs for just under $20k).

It definitely seemed they were pricing the upsale on the differential from my fare to full F, even though they were selling discounted F at the time.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's because the only people who call them "TOD's" are people on FT. It's not UA's RM strategy.

OP should have paid the $900 for F if he wanted F.

Makes no sense for UA to always offer a bargain. Otherwise nobody will purchase F.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1

Makes no sense for UA to always offer a bargain. Otherwise nobody will purchase F.
I don't think that you understood the OP. He was just making fun at the "real good deal" he was offered.

One time I purchased a return Polaris Business flight to PEK for $4,000. The price for a return Polaris First to PEK was $6,000. I did not want to pay the $2,000 difference to sit in First Class. But, yet, as soon as I booked my flight, United offered me to upgrade to First Class for the measly sum of $12,000. Which I took as a joke like the OP seems to have done for his offer.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
I only bite on the, "If you call w/i the next 2 mins, you will receive, NOT ONE, but 2 upgrades, for the same low, low price!" "But, you must call now!" "Operators are standing by!"
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Personally I don't do buy ups PERIOD. After all it is all about the miles. If I want F I either pay for it up front or wait and try to upgrade with certs or miles. Buying up later (to me at least) is a joke.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
That's because the only people who call them "TOD's" are people on FT. It's not UA's RM strategy.

The issue is that UA offers a buy-up which is to full F, when they are still selling discount F for sale at a far lower differential. That's an IT issue, not a deliberate decision by UA IMHO.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
This is even better than the offer I had a week ago at check-in for $199 to upgrade ORD-SFO for $199 but $439 to upgrade JAX-ORD.

I just booked a $200 one-way in coach from JAX-LAS in April. The First Class fare would have been $900. But when I finished the booking I was given the chance to upgrade the two segments for $1099 each, which would have given me a fare of $3100 to fly JAX-LAS instead of the original F fare of $900. What a deal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.