Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA to Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

USA to Cairo

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this.

I live in BNA and want to get to Cairo in January. I'm going with taking a positioning flight out of BNA.

Goal: fly Economy Plus / Delta Comfort / AA MCE, etc or above. Premium Economy would be ideal.

I have UA Silver in 2017 but not 2018. Flying in 2017 isn't an option. All else being equal, I'd prefer to fly Star Alliance that I can book through UA but not necessary.

I have a E+ subscription with UA.

I have 6k points on UA plus 115k UR points.

I see this one for $2k on Air Canada for PE

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...NA0AC7333;sc=p

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get there?

Thanks!
Justin
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Dia
If you fly with UA TATL then your status will get you E+ through Jan 31st, 2018. There is award availability to CAI on Jan 3rd in biz for 80k miles one way (at least the TATL on LH) so you could fly over on miles and then back through Frankfurt on UA and get E+.

Looks like there is good econ saver award availability to Europe in Jan, so you could get E+ to Europe and then book separate tix on to CAI. Its about 4 hrs from FRA to CAI, so depends on how you value intra-Euro biz class (3 across with middle seat blocked on narrow bodies). Not sure about biz/PE on MS, if you go that route may be good to post in the middle east forum.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
AC PE for $2k sounds like a good deal to me - see if you can get the North America segments onto UA metal so you can use your E+.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

USA to Cairo

Thanks!

I didn't realize Intra-Europe B-class was 3 across, 1 blocked. Not much value to me personally!

Would you recommend LH, AC or AF for PE?

All else being equal I'd prefer LH or AC since they are Star Alliance. Unless AF has a much better product.

Agreed on flying on UA to get E+!

Justin
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JustinNashville
Would you recommend LH, AC or AF for PE?

All else being equal I'd prefer LH or AC since they are Star Alliance. Unless AF has a much better product.
I'd let price and schedule determine that one - don't think any carrier has a substantially better/worse product to the point it's worth sacrificing that.

Note that if you fly AC or LH, you should be able to get the ticket issued by United (call them) so that it earns PQD toward re-qualifying for your UA status
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

USA to Cairo

Findark - I can't find it available on their website since it's PE. So they might be able to book it with 016 if I call them? That'd be awesome!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Findark - I can't find it available on their website since it's PE. So they might be able to book it with 016 if I call them? That'd be awesome!
Correct. There is a lot of nuance to it, but loosely speaking it should work. I would recommend using ITA Matrix to price out the exact itinerary you want, and then calling United Reservations. You should be able to get them to manually construct an itinerary for you by reading out each segment in the following format:

Departure date, origin, destination, flight number, booking code

(for example: 11-Dec-17, depart YYZ and arrive FRA, on Air Canada flight 872, in booking class November)

This order is a good hint as to whether the agent is doing the correct thing - they should be pulling up SHARES and typing it in using this order. After the entire itinerary is input, they should be able to attempt to auto-price it (without calling the rate desk); if you have given a legal combination of segments and booking codes, they will quote you the price and it will ticket.

I've swept a lot of details under the rug about when this is/isn't possible (i.e. when the computer will allow you to ticket this), but as a general rule flying AC, LH, or NH with an origin in the United States will allow you to do this. Some agents will be more comfortable if at least one segment uses a United flight number; if you can force any such segment it can help your case.
JustinNashville likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I did LAX-IAH-FRA-CAI-LHR-IAH-PIT on UA and Egyptair on the Europe connections. I was Gold so E+ wasn't an issue but Egyptair is not really an experience I would repeat given the option. They spray the cabin with chemicals before landing in LHR which I definitely would not want to experience again. That LHR-IAH was my one and only op-up to J (and it was Xmas eve) so I do remember it a little more fondly than I would have otherwise.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I can't find it available on their website since it's PE. So they might be able to book it with 016 if I call them? That'd be awesome!
Experiences of others can be found in Purchasing (Cash/Award) AC Premium Economy on UA ticket stock (016)
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by horse glasses
They spray the cabin with chemicals before landing in LHR which I definitely would not want to experience again.
Don't think that's specific to EgyptAir. I've had that happen on OS and TK usually when departing.

I flew MCO-FRA-CAI on LH back in March in J. Not fond of their Euro-Biz. I thought about flying JFK-CAI on EgyptAir but decided to go with a known product.

OTOH, last year I flew ADD-IST on TK in Biz on a 737 and it was really nice.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:33 pm

Depends on how you value the miles, but I'd prefer @Broncos Country 's suggestion of Biz class one-way award:
Easy find biz saver on United for 80k + $10 tax, flying Air Canada from BNA-YYZ then YYZ-CAI on Egyptair

Then from CAI you can get pretty cheap biz/PE tickets, e.g. <1k on Turkish back to the States (note, sometimes you need to purchase a roundtrip originating from CAI to get a lower fare, "not recommended" though)

Last edited by shek3112; Oct 30, 2017 at 9:50 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I flew Egypt Air in coach LHR-CAI three years ago on December 23 and enjoyed the flight. I flew back on January 1 on LH CAI-FRA in coach and the flight was okay but preferred coach on Egypt Air. For the long haul flights I flew in J on UA.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
......They spray the cabin with chemicals before landing in LHR which I definitely would not want to experience again......
That will severely limit your travel opportunities. For example, ET ex ADD and many airlines on arrival into Oz such as AC and sometimes UA. Breathing through a cloth and closing eyes for a minute solves the irritation. Spraying is important for biosecurity eg spread of malaria.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by og
That will severely limit your travel opportunities. For example, ET ex ADD and many airlines on arrival into Oz such as AC and sometimes UA. Breathing through a cloth and closing eyes for a minute solves the irritation. Spraying is important for biosecurity eg spread of malaria.
I have yet to be "severely limited" by this, as it is the only time I've ever experienced it in many countries. Maybe someone else can confirm if this is standard for Egypt arrivals everywhere, but I recall someone telling me this can be avoided on certain routes.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have yet to be "severely limited" by this, as it is the only time I've ever experienced it in many countries. Maybe someone else can confirm if this is standard for Egypt arrivals everywhere, but I recall someone telling me this can be avoided on certain routes.

Actually, my experience is that it is a standard on departure and just not Egypt. I've encountered it leaving CAI, ADD, AMM, DKR, LIS(Departing to DKR).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.