DEN first class catering issues

Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: 3 MMer
A roach coach at the cellphone waiting area on Pena Highway could make a fortune with a posted sign,"LAST CHANCE FOR THE NEXT 1,000 MILES!"
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Flew DEN-KOA last Wednesday and spinach and feta pizza, chips, fruit cup and cheese cake was the only meal option. Much worse for those in coach - wifi was down and many IFE systems were as well. They had no BOB burgers, pepperoni pizza or anything beyond snack boxes. Not sure what happened to make catering even more terrible. The FA blamed “the kitchen having issues today” of course. I was like you mean even more issues than normal and he laughed. FAs were nice about it - I know it’s totally out of their control so we just laughed about it.

Also, I really got a kick out of my “mai tai” which I believe was rum mixed with fruit cup juice ��.

My kids were less than thrilled with the spinach and feta pizza. All they had instead were snack boxes, fruit cups and cheese cake. Really was a long flight without decent food service or even an arrival snack beyond chips. We planned to eat at Timberline in DEN but we ended up running from our connection straight to the plane due to a medical emergency on our ORD-DEN flight.

Just got home last night and will fire off an email to them this week. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and get some points or a credit for 5 paid first seats. The seat was comfortable and the FAs kind but that meal service really takes away from the special flight experience I was giving my mom in celebration of her year after brain cancer diagnosis and surgery. On the positive side big island was amazing! Highly recommended Mauna Kea Beach Hotel if you’re planning a trip! It’s a beautiful and special place!

goodeats21, wrp96 and Kacee like this.

Last edited by Kreid33; Mar 18, 2018 at 12:49 pm Reason: Sorry - not enough posts to add pictures
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee
A roach coach at the cellphone waiting area on Pena Highway could make a fortune with a posted sign,"LAST CHANCE FOR THE NEXT 1,000 MILES!"
Denver is a hotbed of food trucks - there could be a parade. But United can't fix the food problem in 6 months.
Two Bee and Kreid33 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Denver is a hotbed of food trucks - there could be a parade. But United can't fix the food problem in 6 months.
From everything they tell you here at the airport UA believes the problem is fixed.
By now I believe its the testbed for Kirby to figure out with how little food he can get away.
artvandalay and JMBResona like this.

Last edited by Plane-is-home; Mar 18, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

From everything they tell you here at the airport UA believes the problem is fixed.
By now I believe its the testbed for Kirby to figure out with how little he can get away.
I think you mean how much he can get away with.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

By now I believe its the testbed for Kirby to figure out with how little food he can get away.
Originally Posted by transportprof
I think you mean how much he can get away with.
No, I think he means exactly what he said. UA management seems to be trying to figure out how little food they can get away with feeding the customers before it affects sales.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
To my surprise and delight, got an email with one (vague-ish) time commitment and some Polaris lounge-style "we will do this soon" milestones.

We are working hard to return our Denver kitchen to normal operations.

We are bringing the service back in several phases:

o Fresh fruit should return to the menu in April or May;
o followed by other fresh produce such as leafy greens and vegetables;
o and finally the remainder of the menu, along with Special Meals (which are currently unavailable).

I apologize for this inconvenience, and thank you for your patience. Be assured, we remain focused on delivering the consistent and high-quality experience that will keep our customers choosing United.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sfo789
To my surprise and delight, got an email with one (vague-ish) time commitment and some Polaris lounge-style "we will do this soon" milestones.
I notice that a timeline is not provided for the last two bullets.
sfo789 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A couple months ago I posted in the thread that I think this is all just a test to see what they can get away with out of DEN, and as more time passes with no end in sight I only feel even more so.

I think this is all a test to see if they can cut real catering out of DEN completely, except for INTL flights, and that's why they're saying little.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
No, I think he means exactly what he said. UA management seems to be trying to figure out how little food they can get away with feeding the customers before it affects sales.
The poster edited his post to clarify, but my response was to the original wording, which is quoted in my post. In any case, I think both are true: team Kirby is trying to see how little food they can provide out of DEN, and are also trying to see how much they can get away with across the board in cuts.

So keep those complaints flowing into United, or we'll be down to Slim Jims by Christmas!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120
I notice that a timeline is not provided for the last two bullets.
...and "April or May" in the first bullet just sets the tone.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by artvandalay
...and "April or May" in the first bullet just sets the tone.
And doesn't even say which year.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM
It will be interesting to see how they cater the DEN-LHR flight, currently the plane is scheduled to fly DEN-NRT-DEN-LHR-DEN
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I was told this week by someone who works for UA that the DEN Catering issues were, and are still, caused by ongoing remodeling/construction issues. Some of the work that was done and completed in January/February had to be redone. I am not sure when the work will be completed. When it is done I will miss the Klassy fruit cup in a bowl. Nice touch United.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:56 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by N104UA
It will be interesting to see how they cater the DEN-LHR flight, currently the plane is scheduled to fly DEN-NRT-DEN-LHR-DEN
Are they rotating them elsewhere? Or will it be the same two birds the entire summer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.