DEN first class catering issues

Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmr12
I'm a bit behind in posting this, but this was dinner DEN-SFO in early December. Who wants the "chips like french fries" with their already doughy pizza? Very underwhelming.

Lazy FAs, too. Most will at least unpackage and plate the BoB items. And it appears you were wrongly deprived of the pineapple cup
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bmr12
I'm a bit behind in posting this, but this was dinner DEN-SFO in early December. Who wants the "chips like french fries" with their already doughy pizza? Very underwhelming.

A meal like that could give diabetes to an olympic athlete

Reminds me of the old CO days when they believed cheese was at the bottom of the FDA food pyramid.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Any recent experience with DEN-NRT Zen Washoku meal?

Hello, everyone. I'm taking Mom on the DEN-NRT nonstop in Business at the end of the month. Normally I'd pre-order the Japanese meal, even though the Zen Washoku meals from the Denver flight kitchen have been marginal in my limited experience. I can only imagine what this dish would look like if the caterer can use only pre-packaged food... Would I get a can of salmon, rice cakes, and a fortune cookie for dessert???

Has anyone ordered the Japanese meal since the catering problems started? Any general experience with the catering on the Narita nonstop? Thank you!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Catering for DEN-NRT is flown in from IAD. Whatever quality is like from IAD-NRT will apply for your trip.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Catering for DEN-NRT is flown in from IAD. Whatever quality is like from IAD-NRT will apply for your trip.
Good to hear! Thanks for the quick response.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Always, or just while the DEN catering slow-motion train wreck is playing out?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Dinner last night DEN-YEG ... sent another not to 1k voice. I'm really okay if there isn't a real dinner, just say so (it's not hot on that route anyway) and I can eat some real food in the terminal.

"Cheese tray" "dinner"
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by fumje

Always, or just while the DEN catering slow-motion train wreck is playing out?
Just til the kitchen is fixed. The DEN kitchen does lots of premium meals when it’s operational not just for UA but other airline, military and charter customers.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Dinner last night DEN-YEG ... sent another not to 1k voice. I'm really okay if there isn't a real dinner, just say so (it's not hot on that route anyway) and I can eat some real food in the terminal.

"Cheese tray" "dinner"
We got this DEN-SAN at Thanksgiving. Mighty annoyed when D flying in coach on American? Delta? got real Tillamook cheese and crackers while we were served pasteurized process cheese food. I never did figure out what we were supposed to do with the jam.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
During the Berlin airlift, food for millions was flown in from hundreds of miles away. Why couldn't UA fly in all F meals from ORD, IAH, SFO or other flight kitchens?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by transportprof
During the Berlin airlift, food for millions was flown in from hundreds of miles away. Why couldn't UA fly in all F meals from ORD, IAH, SFO or other flight kitchens?

$$$
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Two Bee
$$$
Exactly. BoB was the cheap, easy solution.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
I don't like the situation any more than the rest of you, but I wish people understood logistics before commenting.

Different aircraft have different galley carts. The galley of a 737 can't fit in an Airbus. A 787 cart doesn't fit in a 777.

United flies a 787 from IAD to DEN at night, when they don't need all the galley space in the back. The carts for DEN-NRT are stowed back there to bring meals to DEN for the long haul trip.

They already use the cart space on domestic flights from other stations to provide meals, drinks or BoB on those flights, without room for additional catering for mainline service from DEN. There's no where to put the extra carts and food.

It all sounds easy when people armchair quarterback this stuff, but it is no where as easy to fix as people think.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
I don't like the situation any more than the rest of you, but I wish people understood logistics before commenting.

Different aircraft have different galley carts. The galley of a 737 can't fit in an Airbus. A 787 cart doesn't fit in a 777.

United flies a 787 from IAD to DEN at night, when they don't need all the galley space in the back. The carts for DEN-NRT are stowed back there to bring meals to DEN for the long haul trip.

They already use the cart space on domestic flights from other stations to provide meals, drinks or BoB on those flights, without room for additional catering for mainline service from DEN. There's no where to put the extra carts and food.

It all sounds easy when people armchair quarterback this stuff, but it is no where as easy to fix as people think.
I completely agree that logistics are always harder than we think. An airlines business IS logistics and these are just excuses to not spend money to produce the product they are marketing, selling and collecting money for (from me). I cannot justify any defense for a problem like this that has gone on this long. They just are not trying hard enough.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Hello, everyone. I'm taking Mom on the DEN-NRT nonstop in Business at the end of the month. Normally I'd pre-order the Japanese meal, even though the Zen Washoku meals from the Denver flight kitchen have been marginal in my limited experience. I can only imagine what this dish would look like if the caterer can use only pre-packaged food... Would I get a can of salmon, rice cakes, and a fortune cookie for dessert???

Has anyone ordered the Japanese meal since the catering problems started? Any general experience with the catering on the Narita nonstop? Thank you!
I flew DEN-NRT 3 weeks ago and the person next to me ordered the Japanese meal. I forgot what it was but it looked fine (it made me wish I ordered it).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.