Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS
I guess we are half way there now. Just completed DEN-IAD on UA 461. Choices were beef Provençal or lentil chilly.
the beef was delicious. Served with pasta. Still no veggies, salad, or fresh fruit though. Cup of everlasting Mandarine oranges packaged in Thailand origin China. Still more than 18 months shelflive left.
But definitly beats the humus or processed cheese.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:35 pm

Agreed!

Last edited by Seattle_to_Korea; Dec 22, 2017 at 4:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Nope, not even close to halfway there. I flew UA 328 DEN-HNL yesterday and was offered my choice of burger or pizza. Either one came with cheesecake and the "french fry-style" chips along with a cup of Dole Tropical Fruit Salad. I would have been delighted with that meal in Economy but it wasn't even close to what I'd expect for the First Class premium fare (and yes, it was a paid fare, not an upgrade). On the upside, I had spent all night packing so all I really wanted was to sleep in the lie-flat and that WAS comfortable. Additionally, the FAs and pilots were all extremely professional and communicative as we encountered delays and turbulence.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I think the fear is that if they come clean, they will lose sales. They also have a credibility problem now. If they said "we will have this fixed in a week" would anyone believe them?
Well it is still mid-December. In fact, it will be mid-December until January 1st!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:28 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I guess we are half way there now. Just completed DEN-IAD on UA 461. Choices were beef Provençal or lentil chilly.
the beef was delicious. Served with pasta. Still no veggies, salad, or fresh fruit though. Cup of everlasting Mandarine oranges packaged in Thailand origin China. Still more than 18 months shelflive left.
But definitly beats the humus or processed cheese.
+1, my daughter flew from DEN to BOS last night and the dinner was almost complete, missing a salad and veggies, pre-packaged pineapple was the substitute. Otherwise she said the food was fine.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
+1, my daughter flew from DEN to BOS last night and the dinner was almost complete, missing a salad and veggies, pre-packaged pineapple was the substitute. Otherwise she said the food was fine.
Can you tell us about the almost complete part ?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Can you tell us about the almost complete part ?
Must be that you now get both sides of the bun, minus the lettuce!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I would have been delighted with that meal in Economy but it wasn't even close to what I'd expect for the First Class premium fare (and yes, it was a paid fare, not an upgrade).
This is where it makes ZERO business sense for UA. By not handling this properly they're on the path to having trouble selling P fares or TODs. I guess maybe devaluing the product enough and reducing first class monetization we'll see CPU return again
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not sure why you're arguing with everyone. Your last sentence is basically what we are faulting UA for - nothing else. We have expectations on food in the F cabin and those expectations are based on UA's dining descriptions, as well as our experiences in UA's front cabin (in the past out of Denver and currently standard on other, non-DEN-loaded flights). UA is not catering to the expectations and they need to send out 1) a notice advising of such, 2) reassure the current situation is temporary, and 3) an estimate of when things will get back to normal. They also need to let passengers know what they can expect currently on Denver-catered flights so that the passengers can plan any adjustments to their eating plans.
Complaints and beliefs have gone far beyond a lack of communication.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well I think some of us are also faulting UA for choosing the cheapest possible "solution" to this problem.
Maybe I missed it, but again what would have been your "solution"? Vouchers to eat in the terminal?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Maybe I missed it, but again what would have been your "solution"?
Sky Chefs? Gate Gourmet?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Silver, Hilton Gld
For anyone on the NRT flight, after I got the "catering issue" email, I called them and had myself rebooked through EWR, ORD, SFO, or LAX. They are generally more than happy to do so, and the way the NRT connections are timed generally are favorable for arriving flights from any of United's main US hubs.

I wasn't about to sit on a 12-13h flight with a BoB burger.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:46 am

NOT FIXED: 12/23 UA 391 DEN>TPA dep 4.50p, 3+ hours...a tribute to John Belushi - choice of hamburger or cheeseburger with thawed cheesecake dessert. Didn't ask about Coke or Pepsi. 1K on a $1,200 ticket doesn't rate a "heads-up" email, but does rate the usual barrage of pre-flight "opportunities" to spend more. I feel so valued as a 1K.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robbeck1
NOT FIXED: 12/23 UA 391 DEN>TPA dep 4.50p, 3+ hours...a tribute to John Belushi - choice of hamburger or cheeseburger with thawed cheesecake dessert. Didn't ask about Coke or Pepsi. 1K on a $1,200 ticket doesn't rate a "heads-up" email, but does rate the usual barrage of pre-flight "opportunities" to spend more. I feel so valued as a 1K.
Shoot 1KVoice an email and claim your warranted ETC voucher.
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Everyone should just be ordering special meals on flights from DEN that are 2K+ miles...Gotta be better than BoB.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Maybe I missed it, but again what would have been your "solution"? Vouchers to eat in the terminal?
Assuming email notification to FC pax prior to departure is beyond UA's ability (or willingness), every UA DEN employee knows what's going on. Why don't they advise FC pax upon check-in and at the gate about the problem, instead of "misinforming" pax only if they are asked about catering? What is the problem with being proactive and equipping employees with accurate information instead of leaving them to fend for themselves?
FlyfromDenver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.