Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
DEN first class catering issues

Flying today BWI-DEN. Incoming is from DEN. Pilot gets off and tells FA's that there is no first class food on board, DEN was having issues. When asked what the issue was the pilot leaned over and whispered to the FA's. BWI catering couldn't handle food request so they grabbed all the hot Bistro on Boards and offered them to First. They also offered first breakfast cereal or snack boxes.

I'm flying again tomorrow and I just got a text from UA about "limited food options from our Denver catering facility". They are offering snack boxes or a voucher to buy before you get on board. I'm already upgraded if it matters.

Anyone know whats going on?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Same message for me

I am on UA254 DEN-ORD at 555pm Saturday 10/28 and just got this e-mail:

Important update on your upcoming flight

Important meal update for your upcoming flight from Denver

Due to limited food options in our Denver catering facility, hot food may not be available on your flight. However, snack boxes will be provided. Our Denver staff will be happy to provide you with a voucher if you’d like to purchase your own food prior to boarding.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience and hope you have a pleasant flight.

This certainly seems like a strange situation.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Sounds like a refrigeration issue, if only shelf-stable items are being provisioned?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Are the heated Bistro on Board catered differently? They were available.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Q4 cost cutting begins....or is this another "test"

Are other carriers affected?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:28 pm

Interesting as UAL runs their own kitchen in DEN too.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Halo117
Q4 cost cutting begins....or is this another "test"

Are other carriers affected?
By United's problems? Yes, but in a good way for them. But bad for the frequent and infrequent flyers of United

David
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
So UA can not find food in the Mile High City? Is this a communication failure or perhaps a Union problem with the fine folks from Chelsea Food Services? (From CO). Houston we have a problem! Perhaps the fine folks that "blew into the Windy City" can solve this? The food is mass produced and delivered to each aircraft. If I purchase a FC ticket, I want what is advertised - FOOD, not a voucher to buy fast food garbage. Oscar Munoz, I respect you, but get it together. Thank you Sir.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
How strange -- catering is almost never a problem at DEN. No weather- or distribution-related supply chain issues should be occurring right now.

Granted, the Zen Washoku catering in J on UA 139 DEN-NRT is almost always execrable, but that's an issue with the menu planners rather than ingredient availability...The many excellent sushi restaurants & Asian groceries in Denver demonstrate that we can get good Japanese ingredients here...
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Having attended the Mini-Do at DEN Chelsea a few weeks ago, something serious must have happened to cause this disruption and I'm sure they are working to resolve. The team there was top notch and provided excellent information. They have multiple refrigeration units so I would have to believe a supplier issue may be in play. But truly, I have no inside info, just wish to acknowledge that the team there is good and I have no doubt doing what needs to be done to fix as soon as possible.
Xyzzy, sexykitten7, crfgon and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:55 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I just got the same email, my wife and oldest daughter are in Denver visiting our middle daughter for the weekend, they’re both flying on award tickets and upgraded to First. They are returning on Sunday evening, any idea if things will be resolved by then? Seems like an odd problem.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Having attended the Mini-Do at DEN Chelsea a few weeks ago, something serious must have happened to cause this disruption and I'm sure they are working to resolve. The team there was top notch and provided excellent information. They have multiple refrigeration units so I would have to believe a supplier issue may be in play. But truly, I have no inside info, just wish to acknowledge that the team there is good and I have no doubt doing what needs to be done to fix as soon as possible.
I was thinking the same thing. Great operation there, with some really dedicated folks. It is a sizable facility, and also caters for some of the Intl carriers.

Really curious.
sexykitten7 and Two Bee like this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:21 am

How much money is the voucher for? Curios their value of a F meal.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sugashane3
How much money is the voucher for? Curios their value of a F meal.
Flying from DEN-LAS? One banana and a bag of chips.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Got the email too and was in 2A yesterday when the FA came around and announced the catering issue. He was profusely apologetic (almost too much so) and offered the snack basket and BOB items instead. I don't care that much about food so I just grabbed a bag of chips. This was on a E175 so I'm pretty used to not having a meal anyway.

Later he came around again and offered everyone in F compensation. I declined but it seemed a bit over the top for a 3 hour flight. I've never seen that much fawning and apologies when my flight is delayed - which happens far more frequently.

Last edited by mrswirl; Oct 28, 2017 at 9:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.