Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
I have positive news to report. Per the FA on my flight today, first class meals are back to almost back to normal now, except for fruit. Fresh fruit is still a challenge but burgers and pizza are no longer the only options. The options today were both hot, beef with vegetables or the 4-cheese ravioli.
Great news. Managed to avoid Denver catering issue as I rarely fly thru there, but am doing so twice in early May.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Great news. Managed to avoid Denver catering issue as I rarely fly thru there, but am doing so twice in early May.
My meal tonight was a full meal with salad (spinach), beef with vegetables, bread, wine, followed by the traditional warm cookie for desert. The only problem point that I understand still remains is fresh fruit.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:13 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by PushingTin
absolutely relevant, this thread wouldn't exist if the kitchen were run properly.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
@cur do you have some actual insight on this? I'm trying to ascertain if labor unrest directly contributed to the kitchen's closure. This thread has focused on food safety and construction issues...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by cur
absolutely relevant, this thread wouldn't exist if the kitchen were run properly.
Without substantial evidence to back this up I call hyperbole.

As someone who was on the grounds just a couple weeks before the listeria outbreak was announced everyone we observed at work was supportive and engaged in their workplace.

Additionally this unionization effort is for all the kitchens in United’s network. No reason only Denver would be affected.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
DEN-YYC today E75; listed as lunch:
1 choice only but improvement from the almost-cheese-box: Roastbeef with edamame noodle salad and fresh cucumber slices. beef was really good and nicely pink, noodle salad was pretty bad, cucumbers really fresh.
Sides were canned pineapple and a tiny chocolate square
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:49 pm

UA420 DEN-LAX, Lunch. Choice of cheese plate or macaroni salad. Declined both. My seatmate asked for the cheese plate and a bag of chips from the BoB cart (though in confusing way that could be misinterpreted, as it was). He got the bag of chips and reminded the FA about the cheese plate. After a minute or so, another FA comes back and says something to the effect of "We're out of the cheese plate. You said you wanted something from the back, and you can only have one or the other, not both." Maybe it's me, but there are better ways of phrasing this to a paying customer (peeked at the upgrade list to verify).
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
No it isn’t . Like @SFO 1K I was on a site tour a couple of weeks before the outbreak. In one of my past lives I was in food service and I have an interest in the operation of industrial kitchens (no direct customer interaction) and interacted with several employees and at no time did I see any sign of unrest or unhappiness (other than grumbling about not being able to get a schedule change)
DIA Kitchen Workers Accuse United Airlines of Intimidation, Unfair Work Conditions - 5280
Have you actually read this piece of union propaganda? In every instance where there is an attempt to unionize a workforce that has ANY resistance this type of union narrative is run out.
End of rant.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Apr 29, 2018 at 5:49 am
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:56 am

Thursday evening 787 cabin dinner was a salad with chicken or cheeseburger.

Heres the salad.
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk

No it isn’t . Like @SFO 1K I was on a site tour a couple of weeks before the outbreak. In one of my past lives I was in food service and I have an interest in the operation of industrial kitchens (no direct customer interaction) and interacted with several employees and at no time did I see any sign of unrest or unhappiness (other than grumbling about not being able to get a schedule change)
DIA Kitchen Workers Accuse United Airlines of Intimidation, Unfair Work Conditions - 5280
Have you actually read this piece of union propaganda? In every instance where there is an attempt to unionize a workforce that has ANY resistance this type of union narrative is run out.
End of rant.
That is an odd hobby...
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:34 am

No it isn’t . Like @SFO 1K I was on a site tour a couple of weeks before the outbreak. In one of my past lives I was in food service and I have an interest in the operation of industrial kitchens interacted with several employees and at no time did I see any sign of unrest or unhappiness (other than grumbling about not being able to get a schedule change)
End of rant.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:31 pm

That is an odd hobby...
Second try to post.
It's not quite a hobby.
I have from time to time been called on to perform a bit of 'magic' when someone gets in over their head. I have involved with food service at levels. From providing a rustic gourmet meal for 6 adults on a training session around a campfire to a ‘chow’ line to 200 six course meals with separate seating. Using ideas I gleaned from the tour I have reduced my stress load when working.
I found the tour at Chelsea Food Service to be informative. Industrial food service (ie; anonymous full meals) is a niche field. The ability to provide a large number on-demand full meals consistently day in and day out is an accomplishment.
That said, in all my years of eating airline (and airport) food I have yet to be poisoned or even bring back up my meal. OH there have been a fair number of I’ll ‘choke it down I’m hungry’ meals but overall almost everyone was more than edible.
The problems at Chelsea Food in Denver are regrettable, but in the end only possibly avoidable, listeria outbreaks are extremely difficult to control as they are not immediately discovered.
cur likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Well, I have continued to get very mediocre catering results flying in F out of Denver. Last week, cheese plate.

But more interesting is my return flight, in F, from ORD-DEN had similar "reduced" catering. Meal options were described as "very small cheese plate, or a very small quesadilla- like 1/4 size"

It was actually a SE Asian "wrap" but was about a 1/3 of a wrap, not a whole one, and... nothing else. Anyone recently get this "meal" on a "lunch" catered F flight?

I would say some comments that the DEN catering issues are providing a testing ground for severely limiting catering everywhere *may* be true.

Wifi, and even POD IFE was non-existent on both flights as well.

FA "Oh, it's working sir, sometimes we can't get connection to the satellites till later"

POD IFE does NOT depend on satellite connectivity.

Yay United.

e
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ecoomer
Well, I have continued to get very mediocre catering results flying in F out of Denver. Last week, cheese plate.

But more interesting is my return flight, in F, from ORD-DEN had similar "reduced" catering. Meal options were described as "very small cheese plate, or a very small quesadilla- like 1/4 size"

It was actually a SE Asian "wrap" but was about a 1/3 of a wrap, not a whole one, and... nothing else. Anyone recently get this "meal" on a "lunch" catered F flight?

I would say some comments that the DEN catering issues are providing a testing ground for severely limiting catering everywhere *may* be true.

e
No, this wasn't related to DEN and "testing" anything. This is the new normal for snack flights which are incorrectly coded as Lunch on the flight status. They used to be coded correctly as Snack. And while we are all complaining about food cut backs, it seems that DL and AA are doing it too, and their FT boards are full of the same complaints.

I had the "wrap" you had ex-SFO on a mainline flight to DEN late last year. Last week the same flight had been slightly upgraded to a Southwest cold chicken bowl, or fruit and cheese plate. They rotate the options from hub to hub so it's not always the same selection month over month. Just happens this is ORD's time for the wrap.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
DEN-OGG 5/3. F meals back to normal with exception of fruit. Saks duvet and pillow. Made use of them after U2 concert previous night and 6am departure from Tulsa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.