Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Maybe there's a job opening for the arm chair CEOs to deal with catering, ops and the health department?
You will always hear me say that the other guys job is harder than it may appear. All I care about is that if I pay for a first class ticket I get what I paid for. I would hope that any company would want to provide exactly what they sold. Just like in delays, communication is super important to expectations. Think about your last delay? If someone communicates even to say they just do not have an answer, you feel a lot better than when there is no communication. In this case, the communication (just like most delays) is sparse and hard to understand. What United is communicating to me (by not communicating) is that they just do not care. That is disheartening. Call me crazy and I am, btw.
caverunner17 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Prepackaged processed cheese and crackers yesterday again
I have the impression UA isn’t even interested in bringing catering back up. Seems to help with end of quarter meal expense cuts.
It is probably more expensive to give vouchers and BOB than to actually provide F catering.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Maybe there's a job opening for the arm chair CEOs to deal with catering, ops and the health department?
You might not, but I do actually run an organisation of decent size. And while things in or out of our control happen once in a while, we go out of our way communicating with our customers and making them not feel pain.
timbre and caverunner17 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
You might not, but I do actually run an organisation of decent size. And while things in or out of our control happen once in a while, we go out of our way communicating with our customers and making them not feel pain.
Putting their heads in the sand every time there is any sort of situation is the norm for the brass at this company. They spend more time digging out than they would if they had just been up front and leveled with their customers from the get-go!

If it's broken, give em some time, and they'll screw it up even more!!!

"Our vendors are catering us tainted food, so we'll discontinue feeding our customers, and not tell em! Yeh! That's what we'll do, we'll stifle ourselves!"
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Tonight onboard CLT > DEN 3+ hr block, where the inbound was from DEN. FC was hummus or cheese snack boxes for a dinner flight... I asked if the flight was mis catered and the FA said oh didn’t you get an email? I said no, but I’m reading about it now... She said the same as reported here that the kitchen at DEN is still closed. I like others understand things happen, but going on 3 weeks, and also to not make mention is a joke. I checked emails and got some communication about onboard entertainment and upgraded WiFi, but nothing on catering. Might be time to write in.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by asphaltman
Tonight onboard CLT > DEN 3+ hr block, where the inbound was from DEN. FC was hummus or cheese snack boxes for a dinner flight... I asked if the flight was mis catered and the FA said oh didn’t you get an email? I said no, but I’m reading about it now... She said the same as reported here that the kitchen at DEN is still closed. I like others understand things happen, but going on 3 weeks, and also to not make mention is a joke. I checked emails and got some communication about onboard entertainment and upgraded WiFi, but nothing on catering. Might be time to write in.
UA has been searching for replacement ice cream bowls since August 2017 and in lieu has been using paper cups on Polaris flights. Buckle up, it may be awhile (and while buckled up, please keep the seatbelt on your outer most garment).

Last edited by JHake10; Nov 19, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
UA has been searching for replacement ice cream bowls since August 2017 and in lieu has been using paper cups on Polaris flights. Buckle up, it may be awhile (and while buckled up, please keep the seatbelt on your outer most garment).
I guess if they just close the Denver flight kitchen long enough, the bugs that might still be lurking on the premises will die out from lack of food.

Could that actually be UA's recovery strategy?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I guess if they just close the Denver flight kitchen long enough, the bugs that might still be lurking on the premises will die out from lack of food.

Could that actually be UA's recovery strategy?
I bet you're close to the answer. The vendors food brought in listeria, but I'm guessing that the health department shut this kitchen down for additional items, after an inspection by the health dept, and that's why the secrecy.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Two Bee
I bet you're close to the answer. The vendors food brought in listeria, but I'm guessing that the health department shut this kitchen down for additional items, after an inspection by the health dept, and that's why the secrecy.
Very strongly doubt this. Don’t forget we had a FlyerTalk Mini-Do at this facility a few weeks before this happened. Absolutely NOTHING would have suggested this could happen.

Additionally the amount of coordination and operational oversight at this facility greatly exceeds anything folks on here can begin to imagine.

I wish it was was resolved by now too, but I have no doubt the management at the facility is doing what’s needed to be SAFE and RIGHT before things return to normal.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by asphaltman
Well at least it was put on a tray with tablecloth and real cutlery and napkins.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Very strongly doubt this. Don’t forget we had a FlyerTalk Mini-Do at this facility a few weeks before this happened. Absolutely NOTHING would have suggested this could happen.

Additionally the amount of coordination and operational oversight at this facility greatly exceeds anything folks on here can begin to imagine.

I wish it was was resolved by now too, but I have no doubt the management at the facility is doing what’s needed to be SAFE and RIGHT before things return to normal.
I know how careful they were --- i.e. walking through water & disinfectant before entered each processing room. Head coverings/face masks, rubber gloves, etc. My point is that the reason this is so hush-hush is probably because of scares like Chipotle who's share price has dropped from a high of 742 to 289 because of listeria claims. Not at all accusing this kitchen of being tainted with bad stuff, just asking, how ya gonna feed people BOB food up front for over a month without them getting concerned with the level of service and wondering about the crap they put in front of them, and they don't know why UA is being chintzy???
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
LSG has a facility there too, no? I'm surprised they can't just contract with them to provide meals, its not like Chelsea is the only game in town.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by entropy
LSG has a facility there too, no? I'm surprised they can't just contract with them to provide meals, its not like Chelsea is the only game in town.
Never underestimate the amount of time it takes to bring a vendor up to speed and standards.

All this being said. I think the key message to United is ... PLEASE COMMUNICATE WHAT IS GOING ON!!!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by timbre
All this being said. I think the key message to United is ... PLEASE COMMUNICATE WHAT IS GOING ON!!!
Once again, UA's PR shop is responding with its usual tone deaf stance. Let's just pretend there are no problems in one of our catering kitchens, and the story will hopefully blow over.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by entropy
Upping output at LSG wouldn't happen overnight, if it's even possible physically. Kitchens typically don't have the capacity to double capacity in short order, beit increasing kitchen space or adding staff. With UA being the dominate legacy carrier offering hot items out of DEN, I cannot imagine LSG has the ability, even if they desired to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.