Rail&fly with United in Germany

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: threeoh
Wiki Link
Booking to QYG allows you connect from any airport in Germany to any of the 5,600 DeutscheBahn train stations in Germany. For example, if you book a ticket ORD-FRA-QYG, you will fly ORD-FRA and then connect on DB with an open, unrestricted ticket good on any train to any destination in Germany. The ticket is valid the day you land and the following day.

In reverse, bookings from QYG allow you to originate at any DB station the day before or the day of your flight.

On most trains, including ICE, you can either pay a small fee for a seat reservation on a specific train or board any train and find an unassigned seat. Some trains such as Sprinter and night trains require a reservation and special supplement. F or J flights book into 1st class on the train and Y flights book into 2nd class.

Info from DB in English: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/b...-english.shtml

More info in PDF form: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahni...y_englisch.pdf

Info on what rail services / bus transfers serve each airport, in German and English: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahni...er_railfly.pdf

You must collect a DB ticket before the train portion of your journey, either print at home or mobile ticket via http://www.rail-checkin.com/ or collect from any DB long-distance vending machine.

When booking on UA's site, enter QYG as your destination or origin. When booking on LH's site, start your booking to/from the gateway airport (FRA, MUC, etc.) and then click to add rail ticket on the final screen for EUR 34 each direction.

Separate but related program: Lufthansa Express Rail, direct connections from ~15 cities to FRA flights with protected connections, checked baggage service, and mileage earnings: https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/lufthansa-express-rail
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 17, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
Rail&fly with United in Germany

According to Deutsche Bahn, United is one of its partners in the Rail&fly program. See link: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahni...y_airlines.pdf

Has anyone booked a Rail&fly ticket through United for use in Germany? If so, how did you do it? The Deutsche Bahn Website says that the ticket has to be booked through the issuing airline or travel agent. Is there a GG code that we can refer United agents to in booking these rail tickets?
Old Oct 27, 17, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
You just use the IATA codes for the destination train stations (just as you do in the USA - United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia))

AIRail Service is currently offered between Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Fernbahnhof (the long-distance rail station at the Frankfurt International Airport) and Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof (the main railroad station in Stuttgart), Köln Hauptbahnhof (the main station in Cologne), Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof and Dortmund.
It has been years but did ZWS: Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof, Germany regularly for a decade
Old Oct 27, 17, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
You just use the IATA codes for the destination train stations

It has been years but did ZWS: Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof, Germany regularily for a decade
I think AiRail is something different than Rail&fly. At least, the Rail&fly ticket I booked with a Lufthansa ticket uses QYG as the destination code and is good to anywhere in Germany that day. A good deal, too. Only €33 to anywhere in Germany, completely unrestricted.

United’s website doesn’t seem to recognize German rail. ZWS shows up on the drop down; however, the website returns no flights out of it.
Old Oct 27, 17, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
I think AiRail is something different than Rail&fly. At least, the Rail&fly ticket I booked with a Lufthansa ticket uses QYG as the destination code and is good to anywhere in Germany that day. A good deal, too. Only €33 to anywhere in Germany, completely unrestricted.
I seem to recall that UA doesn't participate in this program, though that might be old news.
Old Oct 27, 17, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
You just use the IATA codes for the destination train stations (just as you do in the USA - United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia))

It has been years but did ZWS: Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof, Germany regularly for a decade

I can get that to work on LH.com but not UA.com.
Old Oct 27, 17, 10:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I think AiRail is something different than Rail&fly. ..
Sorry, did catch the difference.

United’s website doesn’t seem to recognize German rail. ZWS shows up on the drop down; however, the website returns no flights out of it.
Believe it did pre-merge. Wonder if phone agents have access?
Old Oct 28, 17, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Sorry, did catch the difference.

Believe it did pre-merge. Wonder if phone agents have access?
With Lufthansa, if you request a flight out of Stuttgart, their website will give you a segment on an aircraft out of Stuttgart Airport or a rail segment out of Stuttgart Hbf (ZWS). The rail segment out of ZWS up to FRA is treated as a codeshare, Lufthansa Rail Express, operated by Deutsche Bahn. Whether out of STR or ZWS, fare would be priced as Stuttgart to your final destination, with no fare break in FRA.

However, if you fly into or out of FRA, your airfare would be priced as FRA-XXX. With Lufthansa, you can call up their Service Center afterwards and buy the Rail&fly ticket in addition to your FRA-XXX ticket. €33 each way in 2nd Class to/from anywhere in Germany.

It seems like a good option, particularly if the STR-XXX fare is significantly more expensive than the FRA-XXX fare. Or, if the Lufthansa/United schedules don’t really match up. Who wants to wait five hours at FRA for a flight to STR, only 90 miles away?
Old Oct 28, 17, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold
However, if you fly into or out of FRA, your airfare would be priced as FRA-XXX. With Lufthansa, you can call up their Service Center afterwards and buy the Rail&fly ticket in addition to your FRA-XXX ticket. €33 each way in 2nd Class to/from anywhere in Germany.
Wait, really? So if I book an LH ticket to Frankfurt, I just call up Lufthansa afterwards and ask for a Rail&fly ticket to somewhere else (Cologne, for example)? Does it become a segment as part of the flight itinerary, or is it a separate train ticket?
Old Oct 28, 17, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolbeans202 View Post
Wait, really? So if I book an LH ticket to Frankfurt, I just call up Lufthansa afterwards and ask for a Rail&fly ticket to somewhere else (Cologne, for example)? Does it become a segment as part of the flight itinerary, or is it a separate train ticket?
Yes. But, the Rail&fly ticket is to anywhere in Germany. You don't have to specify a destination. You could decide at the last minute that you're going to take the train to Berlin instead of Cologne. LH creates a separate reservation and separate 220 ticket for the rail part. I think they may cross reference the two reservations (air and rail) in a backend system somewhere. Then, you have to print out the rail ticket three days prior to taking the train or otherwise at the train station.

I'd like to find out how to book one of these with a 016 ticket flying United into/out of FRA.

Last edited by sannmann; Oct 28, 17 at 1:13 pm
Old Oct 28, 17, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd like to find out how to book one of these with a 016 ticket flying United into/out of FRA.
UA isn't on the list of participating airlines AFAIK.

ETA: Best list I can find is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-ra...network_access.

Last edited by sbm12; Oct 28, 17 at 1:48 pm
Old Oct 28, 17, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
UA isn't on the list of participating airlines AFAIK.
UA is on the list of participating airlines: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/services/mobilitaet_service/rail_fly_airrail/mdb_257936_20170919_railandfly_airlines.pdf
Old Oct 28, 17, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Yes. But, the Rail&fly ticket is to anywhere in Germany. You don't have to specify a destination. You could decide at the last minute that you're going to take the train to Berlin instead of Cologne. LH creates a separate reservation and separate 220 ticket for the rail part. I think they may cross reference the two reservations (air and rail) in a backend system somewhere. Then, you have to print out the rail ticket three days prior to taking the train or otherwise at the train station.

So does that mean you could find the cheapest of the participating cities and book to there, and then take the train to whichever one you want (or none at all)?
Old Oct 28, 17, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
So does that mean you could find the cheapest of the participating cities and book to there, and then take the train to whichever one you want (or none at all)?
Yes. Rail and Fly works between any airport in Germany (so Frankfurt and Munich if flying United) plus Amsterdam and Zurich, and any railway station in Germany. The rail ticket is unrestricted. Typical discounted German rail tickets must be purchased in advance are only for a specific train, which is an issue if your flight is delayed. Regular unrestricted rail tickets are expensive. It's a very good deal.

I didn't know United participated.
Old Oct 29, 17, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Plus, the train ticket is good the day after the flight, too. If you, say, arrived in Frankfurt on Sunday for a Monday morning meeting, you could use the train ticket on Monday afternoon or evening to get up to Berlin.
Old Oct 29, 17, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Wow, that's great!

Does it also work going in the other direction? So a train ticket from any city to Frankfurt/Munich to catch a plane?

Search this Thread